They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Play function stops working

Specific to Premiere Elements version 15

Play function stops working

Postby abgtc » Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:53 am

The weirdest thing has happened -- out of nowhere, when I minimize Elements or switch to another screen, when I come back to Elements the play function doesn't work and the only way to fix it is to log out then in again, after which the same thing will happen if I leave the program temporarily.

What's so odd when this happens is that everything else works fine: I can edit, move from edit-point to edit-point using shortcuts, and all other tools and functions operate perfectly -- I just can't play, either using the Space bar or by clicking the Play button.

I recognize that this could be a minor corruption that can be fixed by reinstalling but I hesitate to do that because I've so configured the program that restoring everything is a pretty lengthy process. Is there anything else I can try?
abgtc

Re: Play function stops working

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:52 am

I have never seen and never heard of anything like that happening, abg. I'm not sure what to recommend.

Does it happen with a new project with just a few clips added to it or only to your current project?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby abgtc » Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:09 am

Both new and old. I've given it a few days to see if the problem disappears as mysteriously as it appeared but it hasn't. So I think it's reinstall time. Anyway, thanks for getting back to me...
abgtc

Postby sidd finch » Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:16 pm

Sorry this is happening to you.

You might consider reviewing your systems specs in terms of RAM, Hard drive free space, type of processor. Is the program loaded to the computer or on an external drive? Are the work files on the internal drive or an external drive?

I would suggest confirming each of these to see if there is a weak link somewhere along the line.

Do you have lots and lots of old project files in the temp folder. This can reduce the ability of the program to function smoother.

My very last resort would be a reinstall.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby abgtc » Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:51 pm

Yeah, that's my last resort too, but... I have a new high-end laptop with nothing on an external drive and I clean my temp folder every few days. Thanks for weighing in but I think I'll have to reinstall.
abgtc

Postby sidd finch » Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:09 pm

Sorry, I should have been clearer. When I suggested Temp files I was referring to your Media Cache files.

The Media Cache is where Premiere Pro stores accelerator files, including peak files (.pek) and conformed audio (.cfa) files. Clearing old or unused media cache files can help maintain optimal performance. Deleted cache files are recreated whenever source media requires them.

You might check out this link.
https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb ... %20the,cfa)%20files.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby abgtc » Thu Oct 13, 2022 4:42 pm

Yep, I clear not only the Media Cache but the other four auto-generated folders as well, every few days -– doesn't help. Play works fine when Premiere loads but if I click away from or even minimize the window, it doesn't anymore.
abgtc

Postby Peru » Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:47 pm

Have you tried resetting the preferences?
https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elemen ... ences.html
Peru

Postby abgtc » Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:18 pm

Resetting what, specifically? If you mean the Play/Pause toggle, I wonder if you're thinking of Keyboard Customization -- that's where I originally set the shortcut to Spacebar. In any case, as soon as the problem started I tried resetting it repeatedly, including to different keys. Nuthin'. Clicking the "Play" button in the toolbar doesn't do anything either.

And keep in mind that everything else is working perfectly; all the other customized shortcuts, all the editing functions. Baffling.
abgtc

Postby abgtc » Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:16 pm

And the weird just keeps on coming. I've been really busy so haven't had a chance to reinstall, but I was using Premiere and, as has now been happening for weeks, when I clicked away then returned, "Play" didn't work. So I did a few things that didn't require Play... and then, it was working! It played by either clicking Play or the Spacebar.

Holding my breath, I exited, re-entered, did a few things, clicked away, came back... and it worked again!

I'll feel better if this lasts a few more sessions/days but it appears that the inexplicable Play problem has inexplicably disappeared.

A head-scratcher.
abgtc

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:20 pm

I never question it when a computer fixes itself. Glad you're running again, abg!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 15