They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Newbie Just Beginning Questions

User discussion concerning all that's Photoshop Elements (all versions).

Newbie Just Beginning Questions

Postby MikeV99 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:57 pm

Hi,

I am very new to digital photo editing and photoshows. I am so new that I am not sure which questions I need to ask, but I shall blindly stumble along.

I have CS3 Windows Extended, Lightroom, Elements 5, and Premier 3, but have just barely started to learn what they can do.

From my reading, it appears that I should get ProShow Gold since I want to focus on photoshow/slideshow DVDs.

I want to take my photos, clean them up, and create a menu driven DVD that can be played on a TV DVD player. Titles, comments, maybe some audio, presentation controls, and so on. Nothing professional, just something to share with family and friends.

My learning curve to date has been working with the organizing, cataloging, and some editing. I work with mostly jpegs, but want to move to camera raw for my source files.

I have this mental image of a DVD we put into the DVD player and up pops a menu on the TV (standard definition now, but maybe HD later). Please correct or amplify my mental pictures.

The main menu says start and the DVD plays from the beginning. The pause, rewind, fast forward, stop keys on the remote control the presentation. The timing, transitions, commentary, and so on is part of the design done using the applicable software.

Question 1 - If it were a VCR I know that that device is sequential and it would start at the beginning and show slides in order. A DVD has the ability to be random access. My assumption is, however, that the slides to be included in the presentation must be in sequential order -- correct? This much like a powerpoint presentation where one starts the slideshow and away it goes?

The main menu has submenus where one can select a photoshow category and the play starts there.

Question 2 - My assumption is that submenus are bookmarks that allow the show to fast forward and begin the presentation at that point. The slides to be included in the presentation must be in sequential order -- correct? Can the submenu slideshow be set to return to the main menu after the slides in that category complete?

Question 3 - Is it possible to create some form of thumbnail index so that one can select a single photo for viewing?

As you can see, my initial questions are concerned with the structure of the menus one can design and what capabilities on can have in a photoshow presentation on a DVD. I do data DVDs, but video DVDs are quite new to me. Basically, I would like to know what one can do with menus on the DVD.

I have other questions, but if I can at least get some clarity on what features are available in the menu structure and how the slides need to be organized, it will help me to think about the photo organization.

Please suggest reading materials. It would be really nice if I could see some simple photoshows that incorporate what I am thinking about above.

Thanks.

Mike
MikeV99
New User
New User

Re: Newbie Just Beginning Questions

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:06 pm

Hi Mike, Welcome to Muvipix :)

I'm not really sure if you want to make a slideshow or just a photo CD. From what you are looking to do, with thumbnails and all, you need to create a photo CD that will play on a DVD player, not a slideshow DVD with a menu. Maybe if you gave us a little more detail on what you are trying to accomplish it would help.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby MikeV99 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:20 pm

What is the difference between a slideshow and a photo CD?

I could create a data CD/DVD with photos and someone could bring up explorer on a PC and scan through the photos. This is not what I want to do.

I would like my kids/grandkids to pop the photoshow DVD in the TV DVD player and watch a slideshow. I will eventually have comments, audio, music, and so on once I learn how to create the structure. When the DVD starts, it goes to a menu. Using the DVD remote one can watch a presentation of all the photos by selecting play at the top of the menu structure. Or one can navigate through the menu structure and click on play at the appropriate point in the menu to see those photos. [I do not know how or if the infrastructure of the DVD can support this]. Later on someone wants to view a photo that they saw during the photoshow and would like to select that photo directly without having to watch the entire show again. [Again, I do not know how or if the infrastructure of the DVD can support this using the standard DVD remote].

Hard to ask intelligent questions when one does not what to ask. :???:

Thanks, Mike
MikeV99
New User
New User

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:45 pm

Thank you for explaining your goal in creating a DVD Mike, that is a big help.

You will need a couple of tools to do what it is you are wanting to do. You can create a slideshow in ProShow Gold or Premiere Elements that has a menu and can go through the images with music or narration in the background. The menu can have sub menus that will take the view to various locations in the slideshow, you can even add video clips if you like.

The problem comes when you want to have the image data files also on the DVD for the viewer to look at, that will take another program that can burn not only the video DVD but also a data folder at the same time. Programs like Sonic RecordNow or Nero can do this. If this is your goal then I would have to ask if ProShow gold can burn the video slideshow to a folder for another program to burn to DVD, Premiere Elements can do that but I don't know about the ProShow products. There are many ProShow users here so someone will be able to answer that question.

I hope that helps.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:17 am

Hello Mike

These are timely questions for me too so thanks for asking them.

I have completed many slide shows in PrEl but had reached the point where I realised that I would have to go the ProShow route to more easily incorporate some of the features that you mention as well as being able to get more control over the presentation style so your questions and the answers they generate will be helpful to me too. :-D
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

ProShow Gold Comments Needed

Postby MikeV99 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:22 pm

Thanks Chuck and John.

Chuck,

I have read through the User Manual for ProShow Gold a couple of times and I think it will do what you say is needed.

I am going to download the trial version and give it a try.

Has anyone ever thought about having a ProShow Corner much like is done for Photoshop?

Regards,

Mike
MikeV99
New User
New User

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:28 pm

Hi Mike,
You will find all of the ProShow posts under the Creating Slideshow forum ;)
viewforum.php?f=20

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:38 pm

After thinking about this for a little bit the more I like the idea of a separate forum for ProShow products Mike, thanks for the idea :)
Mr. Ron can you make that happen?

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:21 pm

And here you go Mike, ask and you shall receive :)
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=1773

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby MikeV99 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:35 pm

Wow, that is fantastic.

However, I get

You do not have the required permissions to read topics within this forum.

Do I need to do something?
MikeV99
New User
New User

Postby Ron » Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:39 pm

Try again, Mike.
Regards,
-Ron

Dell, Win10 Pro, Intel Core i7-6700 CPU @3.4GhHz, 8GB ram. 64-bit
Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MikeV99 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:53 pm

Perfect. Thank you.

Can this thread be moved over to the new ProShow Forum?

Thanks.

Mike
MikeV99
New User
New User

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:04 pm

Done.

Just don't expect me to move it back if you don't think it looks good in this corner :???:

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Clayton » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:15 pm

I don't know Chuck, it might look a little better over by the window. It might shed more light on the subject. :roll:
Clayton
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:28 pm

Clayton, it isn't your topic, and besides, it looks terrible by the window :-k

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Photoshop Elements