They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Smoky Mountains in 4K

Show your stuff, whether it's in the local Gallery or offsite, get critiqued in here.

Smoky Mountains in 4K

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:02 pm

Recently I was thinking about how my dad would take slide photos (Ektachrome was the word of the time) of vacation trips and then invite friends to come over to the house to view the most recent collection. Of course the friends would reciprocate. This was one of their favorite social interactions of the 1960s era. A special treat was going to see travelogues at a local school auditorium from people who had been to far off lands and had photos to share on a large projection screen. The speaker would relate stories of his travels while everyone oohed, aahed, and applauded. In much simpler times this was other people bringing a bit of their world into ours.

Fast forward to today, and we still do the same; we're just using different tools. I have to say how much I enjoy this site, and the sharing which takes place. With today's technology we're able to produce slicker, more sophisticated presentations that we share via Internet, but in the end they're really all about the same thing as my parents used to do.

In early October we took a trip to the Smoky Mountains. It was different than it might have been because we wore masks and practiced social distancing. We mostly ate in at our cabin, only going a few times to restaurants which had outside eating. We avoided the heavily trafficked tourist areas, and instead focused on the mountains and countryside, and when it was over we both agreed that we had a very good time and had enjoyed a much needed diversion.

So, for our Muvipix friends, here's a little longer video than most of us usually post. All photos and video were shot on an iPhone SE 2020 in 4K (my first 4K excursion). Sometimes a gimbal was used, but other times that wasn't practical so you may notice the difference. FWIW, this is the abbreviated version - the one I made for just my wife and I was over twice as long :)

Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Re: Smoky Mountains in 4K

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:08 pm

That's some beautiful stuff, Dave! And the music was a perfect choice.

Makes me long for a nice getaway to the mountains though. They really are quite beautiful!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:18 pm

That is probably my most favorite place to be .....
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:19 pm

Dave, some really nice work and the 4k is an extra treat. I really enjoyed watching it too. There are just some places on earth that give you moments for pause.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Dave McElderry » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:12 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:That's some beautiful stuff, Dave! And the music was a perfect choice.

Makes me long for a nice getaway to the mountains though. They really are quite beautiful!

Thanks Steve. Throughout my life I've returned to the Blue Ridge and Smokies. There's just something about the mountains...

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Dave McElderry » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:13 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:That is probably my most favorite place to be .....

I've done a fair amount of traveling these United States, but it's the one place I keep returning to.

Dave McElderry

Postby Dave McElderry » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:17 pm

sidd finch wrote:Dave, some really nice work and the 4k is an extra treat. I really enjoyed watching it too. There are just some places on earth that give you moments for pause.

Thanks Sidd. I'm amazed that the SE can do what it can. Not professional quality maybe, but neither am I ;)
I love those mountains, but I sure don't love the crowds. October isn't the month for the Smokies if you can't deal with traffic.

Dave McElderry

Postby sidd finch » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:03 pm

Recently I was thinking about how my dad would take slide photos (Ektachrome was the word of the time) of vacation trips and then invite friends to come over to the house to view the most recent collection. Of course the friends would reciprocate. This was one of their favorite social interactions of the 1960s era. A special treat was going to see travelogues at a local school auditorium from people who had been to far off lands and had photos to share on a large projection screen. The speaker would relate stories of his travels while everyone oohed, aahed, and applauded. In much simpler times this was other people bringing a bit of their world into ours.

Dave, for me you hit the nail on the head. I think that is a lot of the fun of sharing videos. And, That new SE camera is soooo good. Yes not DSLR but what it can do and the size of it makes me appreciate it even more than having a big rig. Imaging you can talk on the phone, check your package status on Amazon, text a friend and record 4k video that looks great all from the same device. Wowser

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby TreeTopsRanch » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:22 pm

Your phone did a really good job Dave. That's another reason for the recent bad news about Canon. Phones are eating into their sales.
TreeTopsRanch
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:36 pm

TreeTopsRanch wrote:Your phone did a really good job Dave. That's another reason for the recent bad news about Canon. Phones are eating into their sales.

Isn't that amazing? I never would have thought that the time would come. I know that there's still a large divide between the higher end cameras and phones - a phone just can't compete with the features, versatility, and end product. Optical zoom is one place that the phones can't yet compete, even compared to the lower end point-and-shoots. But for me there's no reason now to buy and carry a separate sub-$200 camera like I did just a few years ago.

Dave McElderry

Postby sidd finch » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:12 pm

Also it is just so much easier and more unobtrusive to bring along the smartphone and record. Lug the big camera and everyone is curious …

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby momoffduty » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:17 pm

Dave really great filming with the phone. Amazing how technology has advanced. The edit was a good pace and enjoyed the water shots. We spent a few days on the Meramec river in Sept. and was nice to get away to nature. Visited a few state parks and that time of year was less or no people.

I loved the parrots! What a cool place to visit!
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Dave McElderry » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:58 am

momoffduty wrote:Dave really great filming with the phone. Amazing how technology has advanced. The edit was a good pace and enjoyed the water shots. We spent a few days on the Meramec river in Sept. and was nice to get away to nature. Visited a few state parks and that time of year was less or no people.
I loved the parrots! What a cool place to visit!

Thanks Cheryl. Phone pics are still amateur compared to the kind of work you do with your camera(s). But as Sidd said, they're awfully convenient and they've surely come a long way in the past 5 years especially. The water was some of my favorites too. We've nothing to compare in our area. It's so calming and peaceful to just watch (and listen to) the water flow. Parrot Mountain was a lot of fun. We fed the birds and interacted with a lot of them, held some too. Neither of us has been around these exotics and they're just incredible animals. There's something in their eyes and demeanor that tells you that there's a lot of intelligence there, which was a surprise to me.

Dave McElderry

Postby momoffduty » Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:20 pm

Dave, you had some stellar shots with the fall foliage and the water. Sometimes it is better to travel light and use the camera phone. My phone shoots raw and when I got it I thought this will be great. But too much work to edit the phone shots. I think the phone processes the .jpg fairly well. I have Lightroom app and have brought in a few shots to punch up.

Sitting next to the river every afternoon was so relaxing. There is something about water movement that is calming. You and your wife have a wonderful video to watch every now and again to enjoy the calmness.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby ed » Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:29 pm

Beautiful scenery. I went backpacking there with friends about 30 years ago to fish the high elevation brook trout streams. Would love to go back.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Next

Return to Showcase