They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

New Custom PC Build Companies?

Talk about anything here.

New Custom PC Build Companies?

Postby Dave McElderry » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:00 pm

I recall a conversation (maybe several) about Muvipix members who have dealt with companies that build custom PCs. I have the ability to build one myself, but no longer have the energy or motivation (long story). I'd like one or more recommendations for a company(s) with a good reputation that have shown a record for good warranty/customer support service.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Re: New Custom PC Build Companies?

Postby Peru » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:25 pm

I purchased my last video computer from here and was very happy with them:
https://www.pugetsystems.com/
Peru

Postby Paz_Pazzaz » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:11 pm

https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... ers+review

If I remember correctly, Adamant will do as much of the assembly as you wish. I've built two through them and everything they sent was correct and high quality. If - when - needed, I'll go through them again.

Paz

Steve used to share a link that rated chips. Finding the fastest chip for the money, then best RAM speed vs price is how I've started in the past. Perhaps Steve's old links will lead to the same type of information, but, um, updated.
Whatever you do, don't set your coffee cup adjacent to your turps cup. :CS:
Paz_Pazzaz
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:26 am

Thanks Bob and Paz! I'll definitely be checking these out. Would you believe that my present system was purchased 11 1/2 years ago? It's still editing and has been serving me well, with a few upgrades along the way. But I think it's time to go to 4K. I got my money's worth out of this one.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby sidd finch » Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:04 pm

Dave I have a powerhouse computer for sale. Only used by a grandmother on Sundays for her online recipe club meetings.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Dave McElderry » Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:15 pm

sidd finch wrote:Dave I have a powerhouse computer for sale. Only used by a grandmother on Sundays for her online recipe club meetings.

Send me some specs. Honestly, though, I'm really wanting something that I'll have a warranty on.

Dave McElderry

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:05 am

Steve (or anyone who wants to share), would you like to suggest a processor that would work well with 4K editing? Also, let's pretend money is no object (not really true but it's fun to dream) and I want to "future proof" within reason so that I'm not needing to go through this again in 3 years. In other words, minimum needed and high ends of the spectrum.

Dave McElderry

Postby sidd finch » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:11 pm

Dave

I was being a smart alex on the computer.

In addition to the chip speed number of cores etc you might also consider the RAM speed. I picked up some DDR 4 ram rated at 3000 MHZ C18. The RAM allows you to automatically boost performance of your without BIOS reconfiguration. With faster read write speeds.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RD ... =UTF8&th=1

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:55 pm

sidd finch wrote:I was being a smart alex on the computer.

In addition to the chip speed number of cores etc you might also consider the RAM speed. I picked up some DDR 4 ram rated at 3000 MHZ C18. The RAM allows you to automatically boost performance of your without BIOS reconfiguration. With faster read write speeds.

Sorry, sometimes I’m thick as a brick.

Agreed on the RAM. An inexpensive upgrade when purchasing a new machine. Thanks!

Dave McElderry

Postby Paz_Pazzaz » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:35 pm

Here's the cpu comparison link:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

My processor:

Intel Core i7 - 6800K CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40 GHz

RAM: 96 GB (I actually have more, but two sticks are not recognized.)

I don't remember if it is DDR3 or DDR 4

I added an extra fan or two - because it's HOT where I live.. and a large power supply.

I don't know how this chip compares to what is out there today but the only time I have to wait for rendering is when running stabilization on segments of 4k.

HTH,

Paz
Paz_Pazzaz
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:27 am

The system that I had was an i7 6700K that I built re-using the Antec 180 case that I already had.

Earlier this year I built the PC in my signature, replacing the Antec case with a Corsair 110Q Quiet Mid-Tower ATX Case and using an Arctic Freezer 13 instead of the stock AMD Wraith cooler. When I fired up the new build I had to open the case just to check that the fans were all running it was that quiet.

In use I found that the Ryzen 3900X ran hot under render load so I upgraded the Arctic Freezer 13 to an Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 which dropped the max temperature down by 15C.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby sidd finch » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:19 am

Just out of curiosity what kind of video are you creating with all that horsepower. Seems like that might be for some big projects.... :ha:

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:28 am

Paz_Pazzaz wrote:Here's the cpu comparison link:

That's helpful. I looked for that some the other day but never got back to pursuing it. Makes me realize that yes, money really is a factor here.

My processor:

Intel Core i7 - 6800K CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40 GHz

RAM: 96 GB (I actually have more, but two sticks are not recognized.)

I don't remember if it is DDR3 or DDR 4

I added an extra fan or two - because it's HOT where I live.. and a large power supply.

I don't know how this chip compares to what is out there today but the only time I have to wait for rendering is when running stabilization on segments of 4k.

Helpful again. I don't think I'll skimp on the processor or the RAM. Don't need a lot of graphics card since I'm not using Pro, just Elements. After I get the main components chosen I think I'll have to contact the builder for advice on power supply and cooling. One of those things that there's nothing to be gained in overdoing it, but definitely don't want to underdo it.

Dave McElderry

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:34 am

John 'twosheds' McDonald wrote:The system that I had was an i7 6700K that I built re-using the Antec 180 case that I already had.

Earlier this year I built the PC in my signature, replacing the Antec case with a Corsair 110Q Quiet Mid-Tower ATX Case and using an Arctic Freezer 13 instead of the stock AMD Wraith cooler. When I fired up the new build I had to open the case just to check that the fans were all running it was that quiet.

In use I found that the Ryzen 3900X ran hot under render load so I upgraded the Arctic Freezer 13 to an Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 which dropped the max temperature down by 15C.

Nice system John! Quiet is important to me. My present system is very quiet, until it gets to rendering and then she really winds up.

Dave McElderry

Postby Paz_Pazzaz » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:17 pm

viewtopic.php?f=93&t=15645&p=129398&hilit=chip#p129398

One of Steve's posts from the thread linked to above:

Re: Advice on purchasing a computer for video editing

Steve Grisetti » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:13 am
I always recommend using these benchmarks.

If your processor rates a 6000 or higher, you're in good shape. Over 8000-10000, and you've not going to have problems editing any video.

As you can see, processors are getting very fast! But you needn't break the bank to get a good video editing machine.

Since I too wanted to 'future proof' as much as possible, I took Steve's advice here and went for the 10,000 benchmark. I seem to remember the chip I bought as being about $100 cheaper than it is listed now. I noticed on the CPU comparison page there is a link on the upper left area that points out what they consider good deals at the moment.

Another thing to consider in your budget is the cost of hard drives and cards both large enough and fast enough to process 4K. I have a couple of 8 gig hard drives. They're beginning to seem small.

On SDXC cards, I've found the Sandisk 128 gig cards that have either read or write speed of 170 to be sufficient for all but the very highest level my particular camera is capable of shooting. That highest level requires cards with around 300 read/write speed. I bought one of them. I decided I don't need to get that level of speed. The 170s are sufficient for the 2nd highest level my camera can shoot and the 170 cards have dropped to a marvelously reasonable price lately.
Paz
Paz_Pazzaz
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Next

Return to Water Cooler