They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

VEGAS DVD Architect becoming scarce

A new addition to Muvipix, with support and discussion of Sony's DVD Architect Studio.

VEGAS DVD Architect becoming scarce

Postby vkmast » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:49 am

Starting with the release of VEGAS Pro 18 on August 3, 2020, the authoring and burning program VEGAS DVD Architect (sometimes also known as DVDA 7) is no longer available in the product bundles where it was previously included (VEGAS Pro, VEGAS Pro Suite, VEGAS Movie Studio Platinum and VEGAS Movie Studio Suite).
And the vegascreativesoftware.com website page for DVD Architect is no longer available to allow people to purchase it.

AFAIK, you will still be able to purchase it, but you will need to contact MAGIX Sales directly. Also, they will still be offering customer support on the product.
vkmast

Re: VEGAS DVD Architect becoming scarce

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:21 pm

This REALLY breaks my heart! There's no more powerful, easy-to-use disc authoring program anywhere else.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:19 pm

With everything racing towards being online I would think that the demand for DVD's would be receding. The last couple of computers did not even have a DVD drive in them and our home DVD player is seldom used.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Dave McElderry » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:47 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:This REALLY breaks my heart! There's no more powerful, easy-to-use disc authoring program anywhere else.

Me too. I still want the option to burn to disc, and that’s my favorite tool for that. I hope the present version I’ve got continues to work. I know better than to try to live in the past, but that’s one go-to program that I’d like to be able to use for a while.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby vkmast » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:33 am

A comment from the VEGAS dev team on the decision here

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/ ... /#ca765412
vkmast

Postby Dave McElderry » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:24 am

vkmast wrote:A comment from the VEGAS dev team on the decision here

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/ ... /#ca765412

Thanks for the link. No surprises I guess. I understand why they wouldn’t put further money into development, but why not continue to offer it or include it with a disclaimer that it’s no longer supported and is included as a convenience to those who may find it useful. The cost to them is nothing.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby sidd finch » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:08 am

I used to create a lot of DVD's for projects and family videos but slowly I have converted over to an online streaming method via Vimeo. It allows me to make videos that are private and I can send them out via e-mail. For folks who stream online they can download the Vimeo app on their TV and watch the videos on their TV.

One of the advantages is that I can quickly update the video on Vimeo by uploading the new replacement. It keeps the same link and the viewer can watch the updated version. I can also create playlists which would be the equivalent of a DVD by having all the videos I would have burned to DVD on a separate playlist. I can also create a viewer list so it can only be viewed by folks I authorize.

Granted the mindset is a bit different but I have been really happy with the result and I do not have to worry about loosing DVD of if they get ruined in storage.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Bob » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:29 pm

The surprise is not that they are dropping it, but that they waited so long to do it.

I was the holdout in my family, but even I haven't burned a disk in over 5 years. At home, I stream from a media server on my home network and can view from any device. I don't use vimeo or YouTube, but I'll share with friends using a service like dropbox or, if they ask, a thumb drive.

I can understand why they would not include DVDA with new releases. Laws vary around the world, but, in general, there are some implied warranties and legal obligations even if they state that it is unsupported. It's better to just drop it.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Bob

Postby vkmast » Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:01 pm

It's now been informed that DVD Architect is no longer available for sale from MAGIX.
vkmast

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:51 pm

This truly breaks my heart. I'm glad I got a copy when I could.

Meantime, I'm looking for another product to recommend. The only thing I've found halfway decent so far is DVDStyler 3.1. It's not DVD Architect but it's a pretty good product. And it's free.

CyberLink PowerDirector has an excellent DVD authoring system built into its program.

Anybody else find anything worth looking into?
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:52 am

This is likely being driven by the demise of optical media. Most of the stuff that I produce now I send out on USB sticks. Maybe once or twice a year I am asked for a DVD/BluRay but when my limited stocks (of optical media) run out I will not be replacing them. As part of CS6 I have access to Encore which continues to serve my needs.

Anyone looking for DVD authoring software there are various software tools available on eBay so all is not entirely lost yet. :)
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby GerryB » Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:39 am

John 'twosheds' McDonald wrote:This is likely being driven by the demise of optical media. Most of the stuff that I produce now I send out on USB sticks. Maybe once or twice a year I am asked for a DVD/BluRay but when my limited stocks (of optical media) run out I will not be replacing them. As part of CS6 I have access to Encore which continues to serve my needs.

Anyone looking for DVD authoring software there are various software tools available on eBay so all is not entirely lost yet. :)

I knew there was a good reason to keep my old Win PC gathering dust.
But I have not burned a DVD in ages either.
GerryB
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Davo » Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:11 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:This REALLY breaks my heart! There's no more powerful, easy-to-use disc authoring program anywhere else.

My JOB is to create DVDs. We have been forced to upgrade for Adobe CS6 to Adobe CC and, of course, there is no Encore anymore. From all the research I've done, it looks like DVED Architect or Roxio MyDVD might be the best replacement. Unfortunately, I haven't found any in depth demos. So, the question: Does anyone have an opinion on - or experience with the best replacement for Encore?

Davo
Davo
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:18 pm

DVD Architect is no longer available. I guess that makes your decision simpler...
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby GerryB » Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:35 pm

Way back in my PC days I installed ROXIO and it was the biggest mistake I made.
Roxio took ‘ownership’ of all sorts of files and set itself up as default for all things video.
It took me ages to delete it and restore PC to ‘before Roxio’.
But that was years ago and things may have improved since then.
GerryB
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Next

Return to DVD Architect