They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Slo Mo Cascades

Show your stuff, whether it's in the local Gallery or offsite, get critiqued in here.

Slo Mo Cascades

Postby Dave McElderry » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:23 am

Okay, I'd like some input on this one. A short 45 second vid. I took some slo mo footage of some cascades a few weeks ago and I'm not real pleased with the results. This is the first time I've tried this - iPhone SE2, native Apple app. Aside from the lighting conditions being somewhat low I can't figure out what went wrong. I was using the gimbal, and there's very little movement involved. The results are disappointing. It almost looks very low res, or out of focus (although it's neither). The clarity is poor. Is there anything that I could have done differently that would have helped? Not sure what to expect, but this wasn't it.

A couple of notes. The weather was partly cloudy when we left home, but when we got to within about 10 miles of West Milton a storm came in from the west and the sky opened up, raining as hard as I've seen in years. Traffic was slowed to about 30 mph. Although it was still raining lightly when we arrived, we decided to walk down to the cascades. The falls normally have a "veil" look, but the rain had turned them into more of a torrent, which did make it more interesting.

Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Re: Slo Mo Cascades

Postby sidd finch » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:38 am

Dave Did the camera use a variable bit rate when recording? That might be causing some issues. Also was the file recorded in that HEVC codec? I know that the HEVC codec does not work well in video editors.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:25 pm

sidd finch wrote:Dave Did the camera use a variable bit rate when recording? That might be causing some issues.

Beats me. Not meaning to be flip. Does the iPhone use VBR?

Also was the file recorded in that HEVC codec? I know that the HEVC codec does not work well in video editors.

MediaInfo just says the codec is "qt" (which I assume means QuickTime), and "avc1". I can tell you that I've never had problems with iPhone video in PrEl V11. It's always given me good results. Of course I just did upgrade my phone to the SE2. Don't know if that makes a difference. I haven't done much recording with it using the native app - mostly Filmic Pro. Here's what MediaInfo says about the file:

MediaInfo.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby sidd finch » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:58 pm

Dave constant frame rate (good news) and looks love an MP4 file in MOV container so no HEVC, but the 30fps indicates something happened if you recorded in 120 fps. Looks like that might be a cause. It is also 720p footage, not sure if you wanted that or something larger.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:53 pm

Well, I missed the setting for HD and it had apparently defaulted to 720. It has two slo-mo options: 720 at 240 fps, or HD at 120 fps. So I don’t know why it reports 30 fps. Would this have something to do with the playback speed? That is, 240 divided by 30 = one eighth speed?

I suspect that the biggest problem is that I wasn’t recording in Full HD. Duh. I’ll revisit this next chance I get and make sure I’m in the right mode. Thanks!

Dave McElderry

Postby sidd finch » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:17 pm

Dave in regards to the 30fps I think it is how you put the media on your computer to edit.

I my case once I plug the phone to computer I use the windows file explorer to to cut and paste the file to my hard drive. In this way the file should then be whatever it was recorded at. 720P at either 240 or 120 fps.

Once on the computer and ready to edit on PRE I then slow the footage down in the video editor, for example reduce speed to 20% which gets it to play slow. Is this how you are doing it too?

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:51 pm

I was never able to access the phone using File Explorer so I usually use one of several methods, depending on circumstances. I have a utility that allows Windows to see the phone and work with its files, or I use iTunes, or in this particular case I used Dropbox to transfer the file. I can’t imagine how that would have changed the file though. The interesting thing is, I didn’t mess with the speed once it was on the timeline. It was playing in slo-mo so I didn’t give it much further thought. I don’t get it. It’s problems like this that have boggled the great minds of science and made them soft.

Dave McElderry

Postby sidd finch » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:11 pm

What I do for my iPhone is to plug into computer. Enter the phones pass-code to open up. Then, The phone has a pop up that says trust this computer. At that point the drive will show up in windows explorer. Dble click on the folder and it should be in one of the folders.

My guess is that the way you are doing it you are not getting the original file but something that was processed so it now plays slow at 3fps. When I do it I get the 720P file in 120 or 240fps.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:37 pm

I still have the original on my phone so I’ll try a different way to transfer. Years ago I used to use File Explorer the way you describe, but something changed and I was no longer able to do that. Next chance I get I’ll see if I can get it to work that way.

Dave McElderry

Postby Dave McElderry » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:19 am

Okay, I was once again able to access the iPhone via File Explorer. That's a good thing. I hadn't tried it in a long time. MediaInfo reported the 240 fps on the clip this time so you're right, Sidd, that the clip had been processed somehow the first time. I've reworked (and reposted) the video and I can say that it's "significantly improved" but not great. I'd like to try this again in 1080. Thanks for your insights Sidd! Very helpful. :TU:

Dave McElderry

Postby sidd finch » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:43 am

Dave it does look better. Glad it was able to work out for you.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:22 pm

Thought I’d post an update on the cascades project. Today we drove back to West Milton with the intent of taking some new video now that I know a little more about what I’m doing. Much to our disappointment, when we pulled in to park we were greeted by multiple large NO TRESPASSING PRIVATE PROPERTY signs. The fine print indicated that the owner was quite willing to call the authorities and press charges. We took the hint.

I would guess that people have been doing stupid and disrespectful things and the owner has had enough. Being that it was a Sunday and the business that owns the property was closed, I didn’t have an opportunity to even speak with him/her. Maybe we’ll go back sometime and see if we can feel them out about permission to take some video, but for now it’s on the back burner.

Dave McElderry

Postby sidd finch » Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:01 pm

That is a bummer especially if you had to drive any distance. But in the land of cameras always easier to be safe rather than sorry or having to explain yourself in a court.

I had a similar morning this morning. A couple of places I had planned out to visit and record did not turn out. One was an abandoned movie theater from the 1950's and the other a medical building built in the 50's.... ahhh well the hunt goes on.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:42 pm

sidd finch wrote:That is a bummer especially if you had to drive any distance. But in the land of cameras always easier to be safe rather than sorry or having to explain yourself in a court.

I had a similar morning this morning. A couple of places I had planned out to visit and record did not turn out. One was an abandoned movie theater from the 1950's and the other a medical building built in the 50's.... ahhh well the hunt goes on.

About an hour drive one way. We were a little disappointed, but life’s full of disappointments. We took the backroads home and made several interesting stops along the way so it wasn’t a total bust. We needed to get out anyway.

Sorry to hear you had problems too. Do you mind me asking why your sites didn’t pan out?

Dave McElderry

Postby sidd finch » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:09 am

The medical building is in completely restored shape but it was too close to a line of trees and a freeway. I did not feel comfortable flying so close to the freeway and the trees made it to hard to get a shot far enough back to get the perspective.

I read online that the movie theater was being restored and was at the point where they even put the theater sign on at night. But when I drove by it was covered in graffiti and looked very sad. The building was even declared a historic landmark too.

Back to google maps.

Sidd
sidd finch

Next

Return to Showcase