They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

PremEl 12 - editing disc menu templates

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 12.

PremEl 12 - editing disc menu templates

Postby CarolG » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:08 pm

Hello, I am new to this forum, but I've been using Premiere Elements 12 for some years. I have several "how to" Q's dealing with customizing disc menu templates: (1) How do you add another text box to the chosen template? (2) How do you delete a text box from a chosen template? (I can reduce it, but it is still there...or, is it invisible?) (3) The same Q wrt removing an area from the template, such as in "Pan and Zoom" if you want to remove the dark area? Yes, you can click on it and reduce the size, but can you remove it? Or, maybe when you import a video or still for the background, that new image will cover the darkened area? I have been avoiding using menu templates that do not meet my needs, but I would like to change the template if it is possible. (4) Can you add a link for a scene marker if the template has only 3, but you'd like 4? Or, does that mean you have to just choose a diff. template which is what I've been doing. I do understand that if I have, say, 4 scene markers in a 3 scene marker template, that another screen for the 4th marker will be created with the option to go back and forth.
I just wanted to put all 4 on 1 screen, rather than have 1 scene marker by its lonesome. I hope that makes sense. Thank you for the help. I am using Win7Pro 64, 16 GB RAM.
CarolG
New User
New User

Re: PremEl 12 - editing disc menu templates

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:38 pm

My first recommendation -- and the simplest one -- is to do your disc authoring in DVD Architect rather than Premiere Elements. With DVD Architect, all of this is a snap. You can do pretty much any kind of menu you can imagine.

DVD Architect is available from Magix.com for $99. But you can get it FREE if you bought Vegas Movie Studio Platinum for $79. It comes bundled with that editor.

You can still edit your movie in Premiere Elements. We've got simple videos for outputting your finished movie and loading it into DVD Architect. Or you can edit in Vegas Movie Studio, an excellent editor that ports your finished movie to DVD Architect almost automatically.

If you're determined to create your menus in Premiere Elements and you still want to customize the menu templates, that's possible but it's not for the faint of heart. In fact, if you don't know what Layer Sets are and how layers work in a PSD file, it can be kind of confounding.

I take you step by step through the process of modifying and creating your own disc templates in "The Muvipix.com Guide to Photoshop Elements," available on Amazon. But I've also created a couple of tutorials that take you through the basics.

HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby CarolG » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:13 am

Thank you beaucoup, Steve. I finally made the time to walk through the 2 videos you posted about this idea of editing DVD menu templates through Photoshop Elements. I was able to easily understand what you were doing.
Are the reference guides you show on your site different from the regular pdf file I have from Adobe? The Adobe file (i.e. their 'manual' I guess) tells you how to use the tools, yes, but does NOT go into these other ideas. Again, the video makes so much sense, and I am somewhat familiar with layers. I appreciate what you have posted, and I did a LOT of looking before I ventured into this site. Apparently, my search words on YouTube were not accurate enough.
CarolG
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:46 pm

I have no idea what Adobe's manual looks like, Carol. I'm too busy writing our own!

I'm sure Adobe's covers all of the tools. But our Muvipix Guides show you how to use all of the tools in simple language, step by step, as well as offer tips for making your editing process to more smoothly and things like editing disc templates, which you won't find anyplace else in the world.

But of course I've been a fan of Muvipix ever since we started the site a decade or so ago, so I'm a bit biased.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 12