They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Making Short Video from 2 DVDs

Specific to Premiere Elements version 15

Making Short Video from 2 DVDs

Postby ddutta » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:33 pm

I have a wedding video which is about 1;30;00 long (1h 30 min.) and has been divided into 2 DVDs with scene selection. I have the Premiere Elements 15 software and my goal is to make a short video (about 35 mins long) from the 2 DVDs.
With that in mind, I went through each of the DVDs and isolated the key parts that I want from the 2 DVDs, using their scene selection and marking minutes and seconds (0;00;00;00).
I am seeking your advice regarding an easy way to make the short video, using the timepoints marker for cutting and joining. Please note that I consider myself a beginner in the field of video editing and this is my new hobby. Therefore, please explain in laymen’s terms as much as possible.
I look forward to your response.
Stay away from COVID-19.
Best regards,
Dipen
ddutta
New User
New User

Re: Making Short Video from 2 DVDs

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:23 pm

From your description it's not clear if you've already got your footage loaded into a Premiere Elements project or if you've just taken notes on the DVDs. But getting the footage properly into a Premiere Elements is your primary concern.

Do you know how to do that?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby ddutta » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:39 am

I have already loaded the first footage which is about 20 mins long. Each of my footage is about 20 mins long. I have to edit them one by one, combing all of them making it a shout video. So my question is how I can accomplish that which is my goal step by step.
ddutta
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:30 am

If you're asking how to output the best segments from each movie, the easiest way is:
1. Set the Work Area Bar to cover only the segment you want to output.
2. Open Publish & Share/Devices/Computer and choose the resolution you want to output your MP4 at.
3. Before you click the Save button, check the option to Share Work Area Bar Only.
4. Once you've output the segment, close Publish & Share, go back into your project, move the Work Area Bar over your next segment and repeat the process for each clip.

Does that give you the separate segments you want or are you trying to do something else?

You might find this tutorial helpful.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby ddutta » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:51 pm

I think your answer with the guidance is what I was looking for. Now let me try, hopping that I can ask additional questions I may have as I move forward.
Thank you for your help!
ddutta
New User
New User

Postby ddutta » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:10 pm

I was able to cut, separate the unwanted parts, and delete & close gap on the 20 mins footage, making it about 13 mins long. Then, I went to import the 2nd 20 mins footage next to the edited 1st one, using “add media” from my desk top. However, as I imported the 2nd footage, I noticed the following:

1) Distorted images on the 1st edited footage on which I worked on in the timeline
2) On the top screen showing:
Media off-line
Media online…

Also, when I added the 2nd footage next to the edited 1st one in the timeline, I noticed that the 2nd one did the show the timing from 0;00;00;00. This will prevent me to go to the point of the 2nd footage and cut and delete the unwanted parts like I did with the 1st one.
I hope I am able to explain the issues for you to understand. I have the screenshot of the issue, if you need.
So, please advise how to address the issues.
Thank you.
ddutta
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:46 pm

Sounds like you're dealing with different aspect ratios, dd. But it's hard to say for sure.

Rather than combining the two DVD files onto one timeline, why not create a best-of cut of each, output each segment as an MP4 and then join the two MP4s into a final mix? Otherwise you may be introducing factors into this process that may cause issues like you're seeing.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 15