They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

RAM issue

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

Re: RAM issue

Postby Peru » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:33 am

Chris B wrote:Regarding channels/slots - the motherboard manual says that the channels are in adjacent slots [/attachment]

Read it more closely:

They are not in adjacent slots.
Peru

Postby Bob » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:54 pm

That confirms the channel configuration I mentioned. new,old,new,old slot order would have been correct. Try this: place just the old memory in slots 1 and 3 (skip 2) that would configure the memory that you know works in single channel to the proper configuration for dual channel memory. It should still work and boot. Question is, does it? I'd repeat the test with slots 2 and 4 and then do the whole thing again using the new memory instead of the old. If it boots in all those configurations, it's likely the motherboard is fine and the old and new ram are incompatible with each other.

When it fails to boot, does it go through the bios phase and then fail when the OS is trying to boot or does it fail immediately? Are there any error messages the come up while booting?
Bob

Postby Chris B » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:06 am

Sorry Bob - I think you're misreading it. From the QVL it talks about RAM configurations
1 DIMM: Supports one module inserted in any slot as Single-channel memory configuration
2 DIMM: Supports one pair of modules inserted into eithor [sic] the blue slots or the black slots as one pair of Dual-channel memory configuration
4 DIMM: Supports 4 modules inserted into both the blue and black slots as two pairs of Dual-channel memory configuration

And again from the manual
You may install varying memory sizes in Channel A and Channel B. The system maps the total size of the lower-sized channel for the dual-channel configuration. Any excess memory from the higher-sized channel us then mapped for single-channel operation.

My motherboards have alternating slots in the manner you describe - but I don't think Buddy's do.

@Buddy - to be clear - when you say don't work in the "right two slots" - are you referring the to black or blue slots?
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Postby Bob » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:29 am

Thanks, Chris!

I guess I should have downloaded and read the manual. :) But, I have to say it's a bit confusing/contradictory. On the one side, it does say the black and blue adjacent pairs are channels. But, then the diagram you posted labels the black pair a2,b2 and the blue pair a1,b1 which follows the alternating pattern I'm used to with the motherboards I've had experience with. Very odd! I went by the labels. Now I don't know.

I'm inclined to think it's an issue with the ram. A CAS Latency issue perhaps? I really don't know.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Bob

Postby Chris B » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:45 am

The bit that confuses me is "but neither work in the right two slots." and "Well, both of the two sets of four work fine in the left two slots, and I've tried several configurations, say one stick in matching slots on both sides, matching one on left and one on right. I come up with 4gigs of RAM." - If the current RAM is known good in one set of slots it should work in the other ones. If those to the right are the blue slots the manual implies these are the "best" for overclocked RAM (which 1600 is in this case). I wonder if the board is trying to initialise the ram to too higher frequency - or some screwy timings - Hence the suggestions about setting to defaults and/or lowering the settings. If it won't POST it's hard to get it to read the timings out of the RAM in those slots... That or it could simply be a faulty motherboard that never worked - and we've only just found out.

Again I go back to my point that this is an older processor (and one that was not very quick even when new - looking at passmark it's roughly two thirds the speed of a Celeron G4930 - the slowest current generation Intel desktop processor) and I wonder if the extra RAM is actually worth the effort.
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Postby BuddyB » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:51 pm

This is all quite interesting. I did try the old set in 1 and 3, the new in 2 and 4. The computer did the same; turned on, ran smoothly, but nada. I know when I boot and hear no chatter that it's a no-go. I then tried one old and one new in the left two slots..nope. I'm not bad on a computer, but my knowledge is nothing compared to you guys expertise. So, my thought was, after the last test, that the two sets of RAM are not compatible, but then y'all know better than I. I'm not sure that 4 matching sticks would even work. I have that strange feeling. Boy howdy, I cannot thank everyone enough for trying to help me with this. Maybe using the left two slots for years has messed something up.
"Wichitaito-Everything is Everything"
ASUS M4A88T-M mb-AthlonII X 3 455 1.5 Cache-8GB DDR3-1600-PC3-12800(2X4GB Dual Channel)-1TB SATA3 6gb/sec 7200rpm(64MB Cache) Win10 64Bit-Sony Movie Studio Suite 13-XaraX photo/Art/Web Adobe Cloud.
BuddyB
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby BuddyB » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:59 pm

PS: I know I need a new computer, but funds are short and I'll have to live with this a while longer. :-D
ASUS M4A88T-M mb-AthlonII X 3 455 1.5 Cache-8GB DDR3-1600-PC3-12800(2X4GB Dual Channel)-1TB SATA3 6gb/sec 7200rpm(64MB Cache) Win10 64Bit-Sony Movie Studio Suite 13-XaraX photo/Art/Web Adobe Cloud.
BuddyB
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bob » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:56 pm

BuddyB wrote:So, my thought was, after the last test, that the two sets of RAM are not compatible, but then y'all know better than I. I'm not sure that 4 matching sticks would even work.

I suspect that the two different brands have different timing settings which is making them incompatible with each other. It appears the new ram will work with that motherboard. If all the sticks were the same brand and part number, they would be identical and it should work unless there is something going on with the motherboard. If the company you ordered the new ram from allows returns, you might want to try getting two more of the exact same sticks and don't use the old ram at all. If it works with all 4 sticks the same, great. If not, return the ram.
Bob

Postby BuddyB » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:02 pm

Great idea Bob, gonna' give that a shot; will let you know how it works. Thanks
BuddyB
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby BuddyB » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:57 pm

Boohoo! I ordered and received a matching pair; did not work, so it appears I'm stuck with 8 gigs. Methinks it may soon be time for a new computer. I've always had great results with ASUS motherboards, but I believe, once, Peru said it wasn't the best for video. I'd like to know what everyone thinks is the best motherboard.
BuddyB
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bob » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:09 pm

Sounds like it is a motherboard problem. That's too bad.

I tend to prefer the ASUS and Gigabyte Ultra Durable motherboards, both manufacturers make outstanding motherboards -- I've used both. My current motherboard is an ASUS. When I upgrade, I start with the cpu I want to use and then research the boards that support that cpu comparing the motherboard features and reviews.
Bob

Postby BuddyB » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:21 pm

Bob, one more time thanks. Good info and procedure. Never thought of the processor first..but I will in the future.
BuddyB
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Previous

Return to Computer Issues