They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Macro Keyboard software

Talk about anything here.

Macro Keyboard software

Postby mark hansen » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:30 pm

Hello again everyone. I've been gone along time as I don't do video editing anymore, or not much. I miss it, but no one seemed to care about watching them anymore... Sure do miss you guys.

I hope this doesn't get too long, But I think you may need some background. BLUF, does anyone know about some payware, supported software that can look at a second keyboard as a separate device and map different keystrokes to the keys?

A long while ago I posted a topic about using a second keyboard (well really a gaming keyboard from thrustmaster that behaves like a keyboard) used that for most of my common PPro commands. Even back then, the software that came with it wasn't supported by XP so I was sunk when that came into play. That was until I realized it did worked like a keyboard and changed my preferences to the keys IT used. It worked OK except I was sunk when I didn't have it, because I changed the key commands.

Now, I spend time with my grandson with flight simulator and it also has common keystrokes that you will use a lot. I didn't want to change the default commands this time, but rather map them to the keys on a second keyboard. I got the Razor Blackwidow gaming keyboard, mainly for the mapping software. It works well by mapping keystrokes such as CTRL+SHIFT L to a single key (with a label on it to remember where that command is)!

Prior to purchase, I did some searches and found a few programs that look at a second keyboard as a separate device. I found HIDMacros which showed promise until it lost the mapping (it's not supported anymore). Lua macros seems to have lots of scripting/programming etc. A few others seemed to only put macros on the main keyboard.

I'm still thinking there is some professional software out there that will look at two or more keyboards separately and allow you to map keystrokes to certain keys. During my searches I saw some photo specific keypads/boards and that's what made me think of you all, the video editing/photoshop world is a great place to use keyboard mapping.

I wish the Blackwidow software worked with other keyboards, but the company is a keyboard company, not a software company. The software is only there support their keyboards. If the software worked on other keyboards you wouldn't need to get their keyboards. BTW, wo knew there was so much science to making key switches, lighted back grounds and keyboards...

Any use a second keyboard for video editing commands, if so how do you do it and what software do you use.

Thanks,
Mark

PS, BLUF = Bottom Line Up Front
mark hansen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Macro Keyboard software

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:22 am

Are you asking for your computer to recognize two separate keyboards, each customized separately?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:51 am

Amazon has a gaming keyboard that has 6 programmable macro keys, key remaps and combos.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M4 ... UTF8&psc=1

SIdd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby mark hansen » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:07 am

Thanks for the reply Steve and Sidd.

Yes Steve, the second keyboard would be recognized as a different device. Without software, both keyboard act the same. With software, the second keyboards is different and you can map the letter “X” to the “Z” key if you want. You can put the commands for cut and ripple delete together on adjacent keys.

Sidd, I did look at that keyboard but decided against it. The razed allows you to map all 101 keys to other letters or combo letters ( CTRL+L or SHIFT+CTRL+T)

If have a second keyboard laying around, get HIDMacros and give it a try for free. It’s just not supported any more.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
mark hansen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chris B » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:35 pm

Rather than trying to make a second keyboard work have you though about a dedicated keyboard for Premier Pro?

https://www.editorskeys.com/collections ... rd-backlit

There are others available - that one just came up first on a Google search.
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Postby mark hansen » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:07 pm

Those are nice Chris. I didn’t search in that direction. I noticed they did have the the label for letter. That’s nice. From what I can tell, they remind you of the key combination for the command. Word and Excel had that when they first came out.

I want to simplify the common commands to one key, rather than Shift+CTRL+ something. That helped with PPro. It’s faster than a mouse click.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
mark hansen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Return to Water Cooler