They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Earthquake in southern California

Talk about anything here.

Earthquake in southern California

Postby Paz_Pazzaz » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:44 pm

Bob,

We're thinking of you and hope all is well at your house.

P
Whatever you do, don't set your coffee cup adjacent to your turps cup. :CS:
Paz_Pazzaz
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Earthquake in southern California

Postby Bob » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:08 am

Thank you!

We are located about 120 miles from the epicenter of those quakes. Both the 6.4 and 7.1 quakes had a strong rolling motion that went on a very long time. Enough to induce some mild nausea, but we had no obvious property damage. We were fortunate it didn't happen closer to us.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Bob

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:49 am

Lots of scary video on YouTube -- especially of swimming pools splashing water around and grocery stores picking up broken bottles.

Thankfully damage to life and infrastructure seems to be limited. Take care, guys. I rode a couple of those out myself in my Los Angeles days and I know that even the "minor" ones can mess you up emotionally.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:44 pm

Please be safe Bob, I am wondering if we will be getting one now up north... Yikes.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Bob » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:32 pm

I am wondering if we will be getting one now up north... Yikes.

Yikes is right. There are a number of serious fault lines in the area besides the San Andreas and Hayward faults. I hear speculation that the Hayward fault (on the eastern side of the bay) may be the next to rupture. But, who knows. Any major earthquake in the Bay area is going to be a real disaster.

I came close to being in the 1989 Loma Prieta Earthquake. If I remember correctly, that was also a 7.1 magnitude. That's the one that occurred during the 1989 World Series Game at Candlestick Park. It caused major damage in San Francisco and Oakland and collapsed some of the double decker freeways including the one on the Bay Bridge. Many people died or were injured. We had just finished spending a week visiting San Francisco and decided to drive home a day early. We got home shortly after 5PM and literally heard the news broadcast of the earthquake as we were pulling into our driveway. Had we stayed as originally planned, we would have been right in he middle of it.
Bob

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:56 am

Frightening story, Bob!

If I remember right, the Loma Prieta quake did so much damage because it rocked up and down rather than side to side.

But any time nature unleashes its power -- quake, hurricane or even tornado -- it is a very scary thing!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Paz_Pazzaz » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:19 am

I've read there is a newly discovered fault line that begins in the area of the Salton Sea and runs parallel to the San Andreas. If memory serves, it runs through California's Alabama Hills, near a highway with a number sort of like 345??? that goes from LA to Los Vegas. That article speculated that this newly discovered fault may have been more prominent than the San Andreas in the distant past and may be re-awakening. It's all scary!

I phoned a relative who lives relatively near Disneyland to check on her. She said that they lost a lot of water from their pool. Said they are about 125 miles or so from the epicenter of this last one. I could tell she was pretty shaken up from the sound of her voice and how fast she was talking.

She said they had all the bookshelves bolted to the walls and they always kept the car's gas tank full. I took it that was the extent of preparation????

She mentioned that some time back they had converted their propane grill to natural gas ... I didn't say anything. She was already upset enough, but if I lived in a disturbance area of California, or any earthquake prone area, I'd do all I could to have NO natural gas. So much of EQ damage is from fire. If a propane tank went up it would be a big bang but would shortly be out of fuel. Small, 20 gallon tanks probably would be fine no matter what. If a large tank had a flexible supply line it might not go up at all and there would be a way to cook.

Having gasoline in the car doesn't help much if the roads are closed. Where to go anyway?

Having been through multiple periods of AFTER the hurricane I can tell you that the most important single thing that people need is potable water. (My own mother used to keep 1 gallon of water with 2 drops of Chlorox in it under the bathroom sink in the event of nuclear attack, back in the day. We lived in Montgomery AL, home of SAC (Strategic Air Command) and the USAF Officer Training school. We expected to be hit if it ever came.)

Before hurricane Frederick hit Mobile, AL, we heard to fill up everything we had with water. All pots and pans, bowls, bathtub, washing machine, etc. We did. That water lasted a very short amount of time and we did not lose our water supply, we just were warned not to drink or cook with it due to possible contamination. In retrospect, I can see that if our water supply lines had been broken we would have had a serious toilet problem. A camper's porta potty and bags would be a good thing to have in case of emergency. We bought canned soft drinks from a local store. Mr. B helped the owners guard the place. Especially at night. We heard on the portable radio that the National Guard was going to be handing out free ice at a local park. We walked there, about 3 miles. When we got there the Guard guys were inside the trucks, throwing the ice out into the mob. We walked back home.

After a winter storm here, we did not get above freezing for 4 days. No electricity and our water pipes were frozen. We used an axe to chop through the ice on top of a garden pool and used that water for the toilet. We have a propane cooktop and lots of canned food on hand, always. Plenty of firewood and the woodburning stove. Canned soft drinks for 'just in case.' We came out OK but some of our 'all electric' neighbors really suffered. And that 4 day event was nothing compared to the aftermath of a hurricane.

It can be difficult to comprehend how LONG it takes for things to get back to normal after a hurricane. Weeks without electricity. Gas stations with no gasoline. Roads closed. Looting. Fires, people who don't know what they're doing using chainsaws. Sometimes that was the last thing they ever did.

I hope anyone who knows they could possibly find themselves in that sort of situation will consider what it takes to be truly prepared to exist for say, a month, without contact with the outside world and be prepared,

Paz
Whatever you do, don't set your coffee cup adjacent to your turps cup. :CS:
Paz_Pazzaz
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Peru » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:20 pm

Some nice advice there. :tup:
Peru

Postby Bob » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:18 am

I've read there is a newly discovered fault line that begins in the area of the Salton Sea and runs parallel to the San Andreas.
That sounds like the fault discovered in 2016. That's not the same fault that runs up US route 395. Here's an article from April of this year in Wired Magazine you may find interesting.
Bob

Postby sidd finch » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:16 am

I think now days you pick your calamity from where you live. West Coast = Fire & Earthquake. Midwest = Flooding and intense winter storms. East Coast = Hurricanes, flooding and up north massive snow dumps....

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby sidd finch » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:48 pm

Well I spoke too soon. We had a 3.3 today just south of San Jose....here we gooooooo

Sidd
sidd finch

Return to Water Cooler