They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Why I hate new computers

Specific to Premiere Elements version 15

Why I hate new computers

Postby skip » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:32 pm

Just bought a new windows 10 pc and loaded pre version 15 on it. Ran into a couple of problems (so far) that I hope you folks can help me resolve. First, I have saved all my previous pre 15 projects as individual mp4 files. When I imported a single file into a new pre 15 project on the new computer, everything was fine until I tried to play it. It would play for a couple of seconds and then stop. Hit play again, and the same thing happens. Everything seems OK (audio and video are intact), just can't play it for longer than a second or two.

Second problem: I decided to try to make a new project on the new computer. Imported a few pictures OK, but when I tried to import music I received the error message, "Add media failure - the importer reported a generic error." The message appeared whatever music track I tried to import.

I have had no trouble on my old windows 7 computer. Feeling frustrated but not alone because I know you guys are out there....thanks.
skip
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Why I hate new computers

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:06 pm

First, version 15 was released prior to Adobe's including Quicktime codecs in the program, so you'll need to install Quicktime 7 to access a lot of necessary components. You can elect not to install Quicktime Player (or you can disable the QuicktimePlayer.exe file by changing its suffix to old), but you will need the other components, per the program's system requirements.
https://support.apple.com/kb/DL762?view ... cale=en_US

That may well fix your MP4 playback problem. Otherwise we'll need to dig deeper int your system's configuration and maybe dissect that video file.

As for your music -- what format is the music and where did it come from? Music from iTunes has copy protection embedded in it that will throw up an error message when you try to use it in a video project.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby skip » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:42 am

Steve - thanks for getting back to me. I downloaded Quicktime 7.6, but it didn't change the playback or audio import problems I'm having. As for the music, most of my songs were purchased from itunes and are MPEG-4 (m4a) format. Some songs I downloaded from CDs I had purchased.

It just seems strange that pre 15 loaded on my old windows 7 computer works fine - playback doesn't stop every few seconds and I can load any song from itunes into my project. Loading pre 15 onto my new windows 10 computer gives me all these problems. Is my new computer missing any other essential programs?
skip
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:29 am

Your old computer had clearly accumulated the necessary components to play the file. If you'd like us to look at the file, open it in the free download MediaInfo. In MediaInfo, set View to Text and then copy the report it generates and paste it to this forum.

You can also upload a sample of your MP4 to a public sharing folder on a site like Drop.com or MediaFire.com so we can download it and see if we get the same results.

As for your music, it does sound like a copy protection issue. To test it, buy and download a music file from Amazon.com (which doesn't use copy protection) and see if you can load it into your project.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby skip » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:46 pm

Steve - partial response (I'd like to concentrate on beginning a new pre 15 project on the new windows 10 computer):

I downloaded a song from Amazon and COULD load it into my project (did not get the "importer reported a generic error" pop-up). However, while the song successfully loaded into the audio track, it would only play for a few seconds and would have to be restarted. This start and stop problem doesn't seem to be associated with any protection on the itune downloads. Also, still not sure I understand why the itunes downloads apparently are not protected when they are brought into a pre 15 project on the windows 7 computer but are apparently protected downloading to the windows 10 pc.
skip
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:11 pm

I can't speak for why things work on one computer but not another. At least not without having the computers in front of me so I can dig through them and find out what's up. Or to ensure you've activated iTunes on both devices.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby skip » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:16 am

Steve - understand it's difficult without the computers in front of you. Perhaps I could ship both computers to you??????

At any rate, I have some more information. I uninstalled pre 15 and quicktime, reinstalled both, and tried again. Now I can import any song from itunes so that part of my problem has been solved. My last issue is not being able to play my project without pre 15 stopping every few seconds. Just to keep things simple, I created a new project with no videos, just one song imported from itunes. The problem persists.

One final note. I installed my old copy of pre 10 on the new computer and created a new project with no video and just one song from itunes. The same start/stop issue occurs.
skip
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:21 am

There is some sort of process interrupting your work, but there's no way for me to diagnose what. New computers -- particularly from big manufacturers like Dell -- are notorious for adding bloatware, including unnecessary antivirus programs (McAfee?) that do more harm than good. If your computer came with antivirus software installed, get rid of it and use Windows Defender. At least for a while.

Here's an article on removing bloatware and crapware, if you want to give it a try. The article suggests everything from manually going through your programs and getting rid of stuff to completely wiping and reinstalling Windows 10.
https://lifehacker.com/the-complete-gui ... 1630577558

Don't worry about throwing something away and damaging your system. Most crap that comes pre-loaded on your computer can be removed and Windows will install a less obtrusive version. But definitely remove the stupid games and antivirus software. I'd also pretty much remove anything with Dell in the name.

If you want to ship the computer to me and if you're willing to pick up the cost of having it shipped back, I'll be glad to look it over and tune it up myself in a week or two. Or, if you live in the Milwaukee or Chicago area and you have a premium subscription to our site, you can come right to my house and we can work on it together. (Not a bad deal when you consider support services usually cost $75-100 an hour or more!)

But these issues are about intrusive processes interrupting your computer. And it's usually an easy fix if you know what to look for.

(Though I'm assuming you've got a good i7 or better processor and a decent RAM load and that there's not something specific with the video itself.)
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby skip » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:46 pm

Steve - appreciate your offers but I think the problem is fixed. A got on the Adobe forum website and looked at posts with similar problems. You seemed to be the main answer person for most of the posts. At any rate, some guy mentioned problems like mine could be caused by a home network. Pretty easy to disconnect from the network so I tried it and both pre 15 and 10 worked just fine. What surprised me was when I reconnected to the network, pre 15/10 still worked fine. Go figure.

I'm going to take your advice about McAfee and all the Dell crap. Thanks for all your help and advice...I'll probably be back with some other catastrophic problem in the future.
skip
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby RJ Johnston » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:32 pm

The post about disconnecting from the network was probably by me. I haven't had to disconnect from the internet for a long time. Have no idea what changed. Maybe because I've been on the 2018 version.
Dell XPS 8940 Intel 8-core 10th gen.-i7 10700K (3.8-5.1 GHz); 32GB DDR4 2933 MHz RAM; 512 GB SSD; 2 TB 7200 HD; BDRE-drive; NVIDIA(R) Geforce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8G8 GDDR6
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby MaryAnne » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:19 pm

Hi Guys,

I am following the "importer reported a generic error" issue on PRE 15. I downloaded the Quicktime for windows but then what? It still does not allow me to import music into video. What does the quicktime player do for me to get the music included?

And/or do I understand that later versions of PRE do allow the music to be included. So frustrating as the whole thing used to work so smoothly!
Thanks
Mary Anne
MaryAnne
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:34 am

Where is this music from, Mary Anne, and what format is it?

As I said in my first post, if this is music from iTunes, your issue is likely related to copy protection.

BTW, note that this discussion is over a year old. If you'd like to explore your issue further, you may want to start a new thread so we can focus exclusively on your issue.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 15