They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Create menus on flash drive?

A new addition to Muvipix, with support and discussion of Sony's DVD Architect Studio.

Re: Create menus on flash drive?

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:22 pm

:cm3:

I'm right there with you Ken :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Ken Jarstad » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:31 pm

Nice animation Chuck! Saved it. And thanks for asking about the family. I overlooked that earlier. We are all fine here. Having a pretty good year. Bonita and I are new great-grandparents. Time flies. Got to get those old videos out before everything expires - including me!

Yes, Merry Christmas to everyone.

-=Ken=-
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Linux Kubuntu 20.04, DIY ASRock MB, Ryzen 3 1200 CPU, 16 GB RAM, GT-710 GPU, 250 GB NVMe, edit primarily with Shotcut
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bobby » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:29 am

Hi all. This is a topic of much concern to me. I have posted at various times in the past on this.

I have my 60+ family DVDs, all with menus. I was never really comfortable with DVD Architect but learned to make peace with it.

So all that I have done is to backup everything I can, including the source video files digitized from various media (VHS tapes, HI8, D8, miniDV, etc.). I gave my daughters hard drives (windows format) with all of the playable files and VLC to play them or for them to write a new DVD if they choose.

I don't want to have to go back to square zero with each project, even just to merge the files into one playable file with no menus. I would have to replicate all the cuts and edits. That is far too much for an old man to do.

My "plan" as such is to wait until one of my grandchildren shows enough interest in the videos to assume control of them and to carry on the process of porting them to whatever is in the future. But as they are approaching adulthood now, that doesn't look very likely. I am afraid all will be lost in another generation.

Sorry for the gloom and doom in this holiday season! Wishing you all the best...

Bob
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Peru » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:54 am

Bobby wrote: But as they are approaching adulthood now, that doesn't look very likely. I am afraid all will be lost in another generation.

Hi Bobby,
I was hoping that my daughter would take an interest in the family videos or my wife's scrapbooks (paper and digital), but that hasn't been the case. If it isn't on her phone and under a couple of minutes, it's not of interest. I'm hoping as she gets older and Mom and Dad suddenly become more wise, she realizes that we won't be here forever and that she will take an interest in family history.
Peru

Postby Ken Jarstad » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:20 pm

Hi Bob! It's good to hear from you. I have been away for a few years.
I have my 60+ family DVDs, all with menus. I was never really comfortable with DVD Architect but learned to make peace with it.

Man, you have been busy! I have been dragging my feet, busy with other things - just dabbling with video along the way - and I switched to Linux. 70 now, and I had better get some of those videos out there.

As I grow older I still learn new things. Like, my kids and grandkids don't want my stuff! Sad fact of life, it seems to take the passing of a parent or close sibling before some of the kids realize your generation won't be around that long. Hey, you're older than dirt, have been around as long as they have been alive, so you will probably always be there, right?

For my part, I have taken care to put all the raw video on a WD Elements 1 TB USB powered HDD which will end up in the safe deposit box. That is a $50 usd investment and cheaper than a huge flash drive. I saved it all in case anyone should care. In the next 2 years I will provide video collections cut from all that video to whoever wants it. Then I think I'm done.

I produced a DVD and Blu-ray wedding video album for my granddaughter in 2010 using DVD Architect and it was the most difficult two month project ever. I asked recently if they had ever watched the Blu-ray version and they said no! (Do you ever feel unappreciated?)

I was kind of hoping we would have much simpler and more capable software tools by now. But, I think it is me that has grown simpler. I will give out keepsake "gift boxes" with a nice looking flash drive anchored inside. Any fancy video editing added to simple cuts in each collection will be just me enjoying my hobby. How about that?

-=Ken=-
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Linux Kubuntu 20.04, DIY ASRock MB, Ryzen 3 1200 CPU, 16 GB RAM, GT-710 GPU, 250 GB NVMe, edit primarily with Shotcut
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bobby » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:20 am

Hi Ken and Peru. Thanks for the comments. Not much more to add...

Bobbu
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Ken Jarstad » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:36 pm

Hi guys. I talked with a guy on the Reddit/videography forum about this problem and he seems to be "in the business" and I will quote him:
We sell upwards of 10,000 DVD-Rs a year, and around 500 BluRays and about the same in flash drives for school shows.

We have been in business for 20 years, and selling DVDs for 17. Our 17 year old archive DVD-R's are stil perfectly fine and they are frequently used.

I have read the same papers and pages as you have that say the ink will break down or the discs will dissintigrate... but I have not had a single case (yet) of a DVD-R failing due to age through our entire archive of 4000 discs (and they are verified every year!)

So, that settles it for me. Since there are no viable Blu-ray authoring applications on Linux I will make some DVDs of the most likely interesting family video and pass on the bulk archive on the WD portable drive. That works for me.

Thanks guys for weighing in. Blessings,

-=Ken=-
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Peru » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:09 pm

Ken Jarstad wrote: I will make some DVDs of the most likely interesting family video

Make sure to use high quality DVDs like Verbatims with the Azo Dye.
Peru

Postby RJ Johnston » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:20 pm

Ken Jarstad wrote:Since there are no viable Blu-ray authoring applications on Linux I will make some DVDs of the most likely interesting family video and pass on the bulk archive on the WD portable drive. That works for me.

The professional version of Lightworks is suppose to have support for Blu-ray discs. https://www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=98&Itemid=209. Whether that's viable or not is another thing.

-Rob J
Dell XPS 8940 Intel 8-core 10th gen.-i7 10700K (3.8-5.1 GHz); 32GB DDR4 2933 MHz RAM; 512 GB SSD; 2 TB 7200 HD; BDRE-drive; NVIDIA(R) Geforce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8G8 GDDR6
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Ken Jarstad » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:51 am

Peru, I checked out the Verbatim AZO and I like what I see - a very good product. However, I can't find an Inkjet printable surface on them. Since we can't put adhesive labels on the DVDs how do you propose we identify a disk? I am set up in Linux to print on optical disks - don't want to use a Sharpie!

Hi Rob J! It's good to hear from you again.
I checked out Lightworks - I knew it would work on Linux - it supports writing a Blu-ray compatible file structure but I don't think it supports "authoring" like DVD Architect where you can designate chapters and so on. Thanks for the suggestion though.

-=Ken=-
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Peru » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:21 pm

I haven't purchased any in a while. I stocked up a while back.
Check out here:
https://www.wtsduplication.com/s-7-verb ... ology.aspx
and here:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... -_-Product
Peru

Postby Peru » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:27 pm

And for those with an unlimited budget:
https://www.wtsduplication.com/c-49-med ... vd-rs.aspx
Peru

Postby Earl_J_MauiBoy » Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:37 pm

Aloha all y'all. . . especially to Ken... and our favorite Latin lurker, et al.,
I found this discussion quite intriguing...
In my pea-picking pea brain...
Here's my thoughts on it...
IF we can have streaming data these days from a single digital source, we just need to figure out
how to take our DVD data (video stream) and make the modern-day TV "think" it's coming from
a streaming source like Netflix or Amazon Prime Video, yes?
I have absolutely NO idea how that would be done.
Vimeo is the piece of the Internet where I share my video from time to time...
We just need to recruit a retired vimeo coder into this group, and you're on your way
toward creating a whole new market that is portable, practical, and powerful.
Video on a stick

I hope everyone tied to this link is healthy, happy, and hopeful, and still creating wonderful
video for their friends, family, and followers.

Until that time. . .
Born on Valley Isle; Home now, North Carolina; Aloha y'all . . .
Razer Laptop; WIN 10/64-bit; Vegas 18.0; DVDA 7.0; PGMX Creator v. 1.0.6.7
Earl_J_MauiBoy

Postby sidd finch » Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:48 pm

Or you can download the vimeo app on your TV and stream video directly from the Vimeo website. A bit easier.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:36 pm

This is why I always recommend posting to our forums rather than writing directly to me! Our wonderful community is good at finding solutions I'm often not even aware of.

Great job, guys!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to DVD Architect