They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Hurricane Michael - Hope PAZ is OK

Talk about anything here.

Hurricane Michael - Hope PAZ is OK

Postby sidd finch » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:27 am

Well this one goes out to Pazz.... Saw the news and it looks like a big one is on its way. Hope you and your family are safe and sound.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Re: Hurricane Michael - Hope PAZ is OK

Postby momoffduty » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:46 pm

Hope you are safe Paz!
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby sidd finch » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:16 am

Looks like the storm made a visit your way too Chuck. Hope all is ok.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Paz_Pazzaz » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:45 am

All OK here. We had about 6 hours of steady rain, slight wind. Not at all unusual.

Chuck... Hope Atlanta fared as well as central AL.

Panama City and Mexico Beach!!! Ugh! One day all is fine. The next there is a hurricane coming that can wipe whole towns off the map. I think Mexico Beach got the worst of it. Funny (not Ha, Ha funny), I've searched hurricane path charts many times, looking for a place that would be likely to be hurricane free. The big bend area hasn't been hit hard (in my memory) since Donna in the 1950s. Mexico Beach to Apalachicola is about the end of the good beaches. The Swuannee River drains into the Gulf to the east of there and is swampy. Not many people live in Mexico Beach or Apalachicola. It seemed like it might have been a good chance to get near beach property that might be cheaper than our much loved Destin area, which is now priced out of sight, with mile high condos, awful traffic jams and all that comes with civilization. We were lucky to have lived there when we were young. Many times Mr. B, our son and I were the only people on the beach. Glorious.
Whatever you do, don't set your coffee cup adjacent to your turps cup. :CS:
Paz_Pazzaz
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:35 am

Atlanta had a couple of small tornadoes, south and east side, we are northwest. Lots of rain but no damage or issues here. We actually needed the rain. Many areas in Georgia were hit very hard. It was still a Cat 1 hurricane when it went through the state, lots of damage in south and central Georgia as well as Florida. That was one nasty storm. Glad you are ok too Paz :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:45 am

Well really glad to hear that both of you are making it through. That is really good news. On our side of the country it continues to be dry as a bone and no rain in sight. Queue the fires that are intent on turning the golden state into the charred state...

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby TreeTopsRanch » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:12 pm

Same here in Oregon.
TreeTopsRanch
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Paz_Pazzaz » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:03 pm

Hopefully we will hear from Bobby soon as Michael veered northeast and moved into the territory where Florence moved out.

Hearing about the fires is terrifying to me. Earthquakes too. But I was on a plane flying from Atlanta to California one night when a thunderbumper, complete with ziggy zaggy lightning, popped up around us and most of the other passengers seemed to be about to panic. They were saying that a fire in a canyon or a little earthquake was nothing to worry about but this thunderstorm was horrible! Of course the pilot tried to calm everyone and let us know he had requested permission to fly at a higher altitude. We were soon out of it. I guess it's what one us used to. I'd take a hurricane any day over a huge fire, and summer afternoon thunderstorms are pretty much a daily occurrence here. To me, fire and tornadoes. Those are the worst.

I once read that the eastern USA is unique on the globe due to the presence and shape of the Gulf of Mexico. That article said that the same latitudes around the world are desert, except for here. The Sahara and the Gobi were mentioned. I tried to verify that on Google Earth, but my version doesn't have latitude or longitude lines and it was possible to flip the world around in pretty much any way I wanted.

Paz
Whatever you do, don't set your coffee cup adjacent to your turps cup. :CS:
Paz_Pazzaz
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chris B » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:55 am

The Sahara is around the same latitude - but the Gobi is a lot further north. Also at roughly the same latitude is the Gulf of Mexico is India and Burma - which can be very wet. The western pacific (Thailand, Vietnam, Southern China etc.) gets Typhoons every year in the same way the US gets Hurricanes. Typhoon Mangkhut hit earlier this year causing at least 134 deaths. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typhoon_Mangkhut)

This wonderful site https://earth.nullschool.net/ shows live wind patterns. You can change lots of parameters including the time shown by clicking the "Earth" word in the bottom left. What you can see most of the time (and especially in hurricane season) is trade wind coming in from Africa (and the Sahara) to the Gulf which brings warm air over the ocean to power the storms.
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:45 am

Seriously, guys. This is an interesting perspective on US geography.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby TreeTopsRanch » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:46 am

You can also click on the map and rotate it to your liking.
TreeTopsRanch
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Water Cooler