They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Audio trouble

Talk about anything here.

Audio trouble

Postby karri » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:15 pm

Hi Everyone, Happy Summer! :YY:

I recorded a concert in which the main speaker of the sound system went out for part of one song, so I still have the audio, but without the main speaker. Is there a way to make that part without the main speaker match the rest of the audio? You can still hear the song and the music, just sounds much lower and not as 'full'? I'm not great with audio, but I have access to Premiere Pro CS6, Adobe Audition CS6, Soundbooth CS3, an/or Cyberlink Audio Director 8 and can follow directions fairly well or even if just point me in the right direction would be appreciated :-D

Thanks in advance for any help!

karri
karri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Audio trouble

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:18 am

Nearly every video and audio editor has a tool for sharing the left channel with the right or the right channel with the left. It's designed for making monaural sound seem more like stereo, but it might be applicable here too.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:37 am

If the audio is a song is there another place in the song that repeats what was dropped? Maybe you can splice the repeated audio in that section. It is a bit tricky but you can do it in Premiere directly.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby karri » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:16 pm

Thanks Steve and Sidd.

Sidd, the part that was bad did not repeat so I cut it out entirely and lined up the chorus before and after it and was able to blend it and splice together in Premiere :TU: It's a long song so hopefully not too many will notice that one verse was missing :-D

Thanks again :)
karri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:36 am

Next time you could give Audacity a try, has lots of great tools and effects for "fixing" audio. Under your circumstances I think you did the right thing Karri, but you might want to play around with Audacity sometime and see if it could come close to matching the audio. Making the part without the main speaker louder would also amplify other noise but might not be noticeable.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:52 am

Glad you were able to make a work around .

The other option I have tried is to take the audio that is really low and copy and past the piece on to multiple tracks. This will increase the volume of that low track. You might not get the same quality but you can get the same loudness.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby karri » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:43 pm

Thanks Chuck and Sidd!

I was able to make it louder, but it didn't have the same "feel?" I think someone with audio expertise might have been able to restore it, but I wasn't able to. It worked out OK though since you can't really tell where there is a missing part. I took Sidd's idea and overlapped the same music and then blended it together with the Constant Power audio transition (took a few tries to get it to sound just right) and a Fade transition to a medium zoomed-in video clip at the same time. The timing worked out perfectly.

I think I will play around with it in Audacity, though, even just as a learning experience.

Thanks again for all the help :)
karri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:50 pm

Play around with Audacity and add compression to the quieter clip as well as a little increase in volume. Have some fun and learn a new tool :TU:
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:31 pm

I was able to make it louder, but it didn't have the same "feel?"

The sound from the other speakers would likely take a different path to reach the microphone. Bouncing off different surfaces will affect the "color" of the sound as the distribution of frequencies in the sound change. It's not going to sound the same as with the main speaker. You could try using an equalizer effect to compensate. It's probably not going to match, but you might be able to get a little closer.

I think the approach you took was probably the best way to handle it. I wouldn't attempt to fix the bad section unless it was really important to retain it.
Bob

Postby karri » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:31 am

Thanks Chuck! I downloaded Audacity. Now just to find the time to familiarize myself with it! (lots of options in there!) Do you find it is "better" than other audio applications like Audition or AudioDirector? :-D

Bob, thank you for weighing in and describing that "feel" in words! You're the best :)

Bob wrote: I wouldn't attempt to fix the bad section unless it was really important to retain it.

Awesome, thanks.
karri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:44 pm

Audition is good if you have it, you can do a lot. Never tried AutoDirector so not sure about that one. For a free tool Audacity is pretty amazing, I use it frequently and I have access to other tools but don't' use them as much. We have a few tutorials that might help you get started and find your way around.

https://muvipix.com/products.php?search ... =0&btn.y=0

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby karri » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:02 pm

Great, thanks Chuck! :-D
karri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to Water Cooler