They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Import and Media Encoder

Premiere Pro discussions.

Import and Media Encoder

Postby mikecox » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:52 am

This is my first post to PrP.

I installed PrP on my tower last week then uninstalled PrE. As soon as my Surface Book replacement arrives I will install it on that machine. I am told PrP will have to difficulty running on it when the hardware issue has been corrected.

When I imported MOV files into PrE it was simple and fast, and there was no additional software needed to process the files.

I just imported MOV files into PrP and. to my surprise, Media Encoder opened and started processing files, while I waited, and wondered what was going on.

Do I really need this step? Can I just load my MOV and TIF files directly into PrP and work with them directly, exporting with the standard Pr options?
Michael :cool:
Pr Pro, Ps and Lr CC, Canon Cameras: 60D and 70D
WIN10 Pro, Surface Book,
i7-6600U CPU@2.6GHz 2.81, 16GB RAM,475 GB SSD, 211 Free
Intel HD Graphics 520, NVIDIA GeForce GPU
mikecox
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Import and Media Encoder

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:53 am

mikecox wrote:...Media Encoder opened and started processing files...

I have never seen this so regret that I am at a loss as to what might be causing it other than a rather vague guess that it may be connected to project settings(?). :(
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Peru » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:05 am

Exactly how are you importing?
Peru

Postby sidd finch » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:14 am

I think Premiere Pro is making a copy of the file to do the editing on.

Premiere Pro indexes certain types of files and transcodes others after importing them. You cannot edit these types fully until these processes are completed. The filename of a clip appears in the Project panel in italics until it has been fully indexed or transcoded.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby mikecox » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:06 pm

I open the browser; the files from my drive appear, I Rt Click and select Import from the Context Menue, and voila, the files import.

I've watched several tutorials on getting media into Pr Pro and the Encoder didn't open on any of them.

I just uninstalled the Encoder. I never consciously installed it. Maybe it installed automatically with I installed Pr Pro.
WIN10 Pro, Surface Book,
mikecox
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Bob » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:44 pm

Which version of Premiere Pro are you using? Adobe changed the ingest process in CC some time ago to allow certain operations to occur in the background on ingest. If you are using a recent version, you should be able to turn that off in the project settings.
Bob

Postby mikecox » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:14 pm

I'm using the current CC version of Pr, which I recently installed and your right, the option can be disabled.

After I removed the encoder I was prompted for it. So I just disabled it.

I will have to read up on the encoder function. I"m guessing it has something do with creating or modifying file formats to make them compatible with the editor. Since I'm using MOV files, from my Canon, that doesn't appear to be necessary, since I am able to Import my media directly from the browser, with a right click.
WIN10 Pro, Surface Book,
mikecox
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Bob » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:39 pm

You shouldn't have to disable Media Encoder. Just disable the Ingest function. There are checkboxes in the Media Browser and in the project settings. Uncheck them both. If you want to see what Ingest was doing, check the Ingest tab of the project properties panel. It can copy, transcode, or create proxies.

The primary function of the Media Encoder is encoding video to desired formats efficiently. It can be invoked as a standalone program or run as a linked companion to After Effect Premiere Pro and some other Adobe Applications. You can queue multiple videos to Media Encoder at the same time and Media Encoder will process them in the background so you can continue working. Also, video to be encoded can be processed to multiple formats simultaneously. As you know, the export process consists of a render phase where all the edits and effects are applied followed by an encoding phase where the video is processed to a specific codec and file format. Media Encoder performs the render phase once and processes the encoding phase for each format in parallel. In Premiere Pro, you can export your video directly, in which case Premiere Pro does the processing and you have to wait until it's done before you can continue working, or you can queue the video to Media Encoder which will do the encoding while you continue working. As Premiere Pro CC evolved, some of the common tasks video editors often need to do in video houses (copy from source location to project location, transcode to specific formats, and creation of proxy files to ease editing of high resolution video (e.g.4k, 8k) were able to be offloaded to Media Encoder. But, that's still optional.
Bob

Return to Premiere Pro