They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

First Steps with Davinci Resolve

Show your stuff, whether it's in the local Gallery or offsite, get critiqued in here.

First Steps with Davinci Resolve

Postby Chris B » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:56 pm

I've been trying out DaVinci Resolve 14 (free version) on some older dive videos that I was putting together. These were taken before I had a filter for the gopro so they have an extreme colour cast to them. I've used Resolve to remove the colour cast and stabilise the video - before and after here produced entirely in Resolve:

The program is extremely powerful and the restrictions for not being the "studio" are surprisingly small. It has less "effects" built in - and a lot of them are "Studio only" - there is however Fusion that is similar to After Effects. I find the timeline to be a little more clunky that Vegas for moving clips round - but experience might mean I get better. However the built in colour tools are really good - and it's got built in object tracking, stabilisation and a host of other tools. It's a complex program so it takes some getting used to but I found a quickstart on youtube that game me most of the info I needed in about 30 minutes.
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Re: First Steps with Davinci Resolve

Postby sidd finch » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:55 pm

Wow that is a pretty dramatic change.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:18 am

Quite a difference! So how does the processed result compare to what the eye saw live?
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Chris B » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:39 pm

You eyes are quite good at seeing what you think is there and I've tried to correct to more or less how I recall it (possibly slightly bluer when down there). It looks a lot less hazy in real life as well.
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:46 pm

Chris B wrote:You eyes are quite good at seeing what you think is there and I've tried to correct to more or less how I recall it (possibly slightly bluer when down there). It looks a lot less hazy in real life as well.

Thanks Chris. A pet peeve of mine is when colors in video get exaggerated or just don't look natural (assuming that the content is intended to be that way). Since I've never been scuba diving I only have others' video to experience.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Hugley » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:01 pm

Dave McElderry wrote:
Chris B wrote:You eyes are quite good at seeing what you think is there and I've tried to correct to more or less how I recall it (possibly slightly bluer when down there). It looks a lot less hazy in real life as well.

Thanks Chris. A pet peeve of mine is when colors in video get exaggerated or just don't look natural (assuming that the content is intended to be that way). Since I've never been scuba diving I only have others' video to experience.

I'm the same way, Dave. I always like to see a realistic representation of the diving location. I understand why people make their footage more 'flashy' though. Most viewers like flashy.
Hugley
New User
New User

Postby sidd finch » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:56 pm

I agree on the color aspect, I think that is why I only enjoy dive videos that are recorded at depths of 1000 meters or more. The colors just seem to get more real at that depth. :)

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Dave McElderry » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:38 pm

sidd finch wrote:I agree on the color aspect, I think that is why I only enjoy dive videos that are recorded at depths of 1000 meters or more. The colors just seem to get more real at that depth. :)

:CS:

Dave McElderry

Postby Bob » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:57 pm

"1000 Meters or more", the other place where the sun don't shine.
Bob

Postby Peru » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:48 pm

Bob wrote:"1000 Meters or more", the other place where the sun don't shine.

:hyst:
Peru

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:50 pm

Bob wrote:"1000 Meters or more", the other place where the sun don't shine.

1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Paz_Pazzaz » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:53 am

the other place where the sun don't shine.

Chris,

Are you still playing around with DaVinci Resolve? Do you like it? If so, (you mention Vegas), do you know how well it compares to Adobe Premiere CC? I'm still using Pre Pro CS6 but suspect if I keep upping my video requirements I'm going to be forced to pay Adobe monthly through the nose upgrade to CC.

Paz
Whatever you do, don't set your coffee cup adjacent to your turps cup. :CS:
Paz_Pazzaz
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chris B » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:08 pm

As far as I'm aware Resolve is a reasonably new entrant into actual editing - it's history stems from colour correction (at which it is superb) rather than a full blown editor. As such I find the editor a bit clunky - and there are certain things that seem to be missing. For example the titles can't have effects directly applied to them and some of the transitions affect the entire video stack rather than just the clip that they are applied to. It's inbuilt effects, titles and transitions are limited in number but things like the stabilisation and previously mentioned colour correction are very good indeed. It also sits with Fusion for "after effects" style effects.

It does feel responsive and has been stable for me. It is reasonably resource hungry and likes more than 8GB of RAM however it was able to render the below video using all 12 of my processor cores at 100% (and some graphics card as well) in around 45 seconds to MP4 - not bad for a 66 second clip. For the price of $0.00 it's worth a look.

At the moment I'm using it for selected sections that need extra work - and using Vegas as my backbone. I like the Vegas editor although I realise it's quite different in approach from Adobe and I've not been compelled to upgrade beyond version 12. The last thing to say it is does seem to be being actively developed and new patches and versions arrive every so often with new features. I'm pretty sure the editor will get better with each release.

Here's another clip I did entirely in Resolve (including titles):
Chris B

Postby Paz_Pazzaz » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:53 pm

some of the transitions affect the entire video stack rather than just the clip that they are applied to

Um, yeah I can see how that could take a new learning curve!

I think I'll give it a try. As you say, $0.00 free!

The stabilization on the underwater curve is really good. The red of the first bird is so vivid it is amazing to consider that it is real. We have red cardinals here, but they are not as brilliant as that.

Oh, a yellow cardinal was spotted about 100 miles north of me, still in Alabama. They say a 'one in a million' due to a genetic mixup. I'll find it and post a link. It's a gorgeous bird too.

thanks,

Paz
Whatever you do, don't set your coffee cup adjacent to your turps cup. :CS:
Paz_Pazzaz
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Return to Showcase