They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Bad, bad Intel Chips

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

Bad, bad Intel Chips

Postby RJ Johnston » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:11 pm

If you have a computer with an Intel chip developed in the last decade or so, expect up to a 30 percent decrease in your computer's performance next week after Microsoft rolls out the patch.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/02/intel_cpu_design_flaw/
Dell XPS 8940 Intel 8-core 10th gen.-i7 10700K (3.8-5.1 GHz); 32GB DDR4 2933 MHz RAM; 512 GB SSD; 2 TB 7200 HD; BDRE-drive; NVIDIA(R) Geforce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8G8 GDDR6
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Bad, bad Intel Chips

Postby Paz_Pazzaz » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:02 pm

Another, less technical article:

https://techcrunch.com/2018/01/03/kerne ... nd-device/

It appears the patches may cause problems with programs and how they work, or have been designed to work. Maybe now some things won't work?

Anyone have any thoughts on where this leaves all of us who are not on Windows 10?

If this has been 'out there' for decades, does the announcement that bugs such as these can be created mean that suddenly they will be? I guess I'm asking, is Windows 10 now mandatory?
Whatever you do, don't set your coffee cup adjacent to your turps cup. :CS:
Paz_Pazzaz
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Bad, bad Intel Chips

Postby Chris B » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:04 am

Although we don't know - we'll have to wait until next week for Microsoft's patches - Windows 7 is still having security updates provided (and this is defiantly a security issue) so I would expect Microsoft to issue a patch. Given it's a bug in the kernel it shouldn't affect software as this stuff should be invisible to an application. I.e - it should "just work".

The slowdown talked about will be only for kernel intensive operations - for example reading the all the files on a disk - so it's unclear how much of a real world performance hit will be experienced. It is also not clear if Microsoft's patches will be applied universally or will exclude AMD processors which are not affected by one of the issues.

Bottom line we'll just have to wait and see however once the bug is known you can bet the bad guys will be creating attacks based on it.
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Return to Computer Issues