They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Converting Smartphone Variable FPS to Constant FPS

Talk about anything here.

Converting Smartphone Variable FPS to Constant FPS

Postby RJ Johnston » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:17 am

I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but my Smartphone records video at variable frames per second. When editing the video in an editor, the timing doesn't always synchronize correctly with the editors constant frame rate and causes judder in the editor and on export.

I found that Adobe Photoshop can export video frames to jpegs without any blending taking place. The jpeg sequence can then be imported into editors where you can specify a constant frames-per-second. Yes, you have to time-stretch the audio, maintaining pitch option, so it matches the length of the video. I tried exporting frames from other video editors, but the results aren't the same as with Adobe's.

After doing this a few times, I wanted something that didn't take so long. I found that I could modify the bytes in the VIDE "stts" box of an MP4 container so the duration of each frame was constant. There were a few other "boxes" in the mp4 container I had to update as well. No changes were made to MDAT. I can now convert a video file in an instant from variable to constant fps so that it can be edited and exported at 29.97 or any other constant fps without the judder. I don't do anything with the audio, except in a video editor, I unlink the audio from the video, and then time-stretch the audio so it's the same length as the video. Sometimes I don't even have to do anything with the audio in cases where no one is seen talking in the clip.

Of course I'm doing all this with copies of the original video files, and it's all for casual use, nothing critical.

Does anyone know of an existing app(lication) that can do this conversion without modifying the movie data? It would be nice if everyone could have free access to it.

Thanks.
Dell XPS 8940 Intel 8-core 10th gen.-i7 10700K (3.8-5.1 GHz); 32GB DDR4 2933 MHz RAM; 512 GB SSD; 2 TB 7200 HD; BDRE-drive; NVIDIA(R) Geforce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8G8 GDDR6
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Converting Smartphone Variable FPS to Constant FPS

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:20 am

Check out our tutorial on Handbrake, Robert. The best solution I've found for this very problem.
http://muvipix.com/products.php?searchp ... =0&btn.y=0
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby RJ Johnston » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:18 pm

I know what you are saying Steve, but Handbrake doesn't do the job for the video from my smartphone. Handbrake may convert to a constant fps, but judder is introduced, just like what happens in other video editors I've tried. Handbrake is also slow. Once in a while a video with variable fps may convert to constant fps without any judder, but when you have many video files, too many of the converted files are less than stellar. My smartphone videos files can have fps ranging from 19 to 31 fps inclusive just in one file. The average fps might be 25.343 fps, for example. What I'm doing is changing the length of the video by making each frame last the same duration. This doesn't require any re-rendering like Handbrake has to do. I can process several files in less than 1/100th of a second.

This works for my purposes, but the trouble is I hardly know what I am doing. All I've got to work with is some MP4 specification available to the public. ISO IEC 14496-12 2015
Dell XPS 8940 Intel 8-core 10th gen.-i7 10700K (3.8-5.1 GHz); 32GB DDR4 2933 MHz RAM; 512 GB SSD; 2 TB 7200 HD; BDRE-drive; NVIDIA(R) Geforce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8G8 GDDR6
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby sidd finch » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:39 am

RJ, Can I suggest that you get the app called FilMic Pro for your smart phone. It is one of the pest video recording apps for your smartphone. You will not need to mess around with converting the video. In this app you can manually control almost every aspect of the smartphone video. You record video in the app. I use this app all the time with my smartphone and love it.

http://www.filmicpro.com/

Foundation Features:
• Standard, manual and hybrid shooting modes. A shooting style for any skill level.
• Apple Watch support for remote start/stop and live video preview.
• Portrait (vertical) and landscape shooting orientations.
• Variable speed zoom.
• Sync audio frame rates of 24, 25, 30, 48* 50* and 60* fps. (* iPhone 6 and 6s series only).
• High speed frame rates of 60,120,240 fps (hardware dependent).
• Slow and fast motion FX options.
• Configurable time lapse Recording.
• Tri-mode histogram, including waveform monitor. (A7 processor devices and newer)
• Adjust video settings after capture (Exposure, contrast, saturation, tint, color temperature).
• Downsampling to multiple size/resolutions.
• Customizable saved personal presets.
• Aspect ratio framing guide overlays.
• Thirds guide for dynamic composition.
• Image stabilization.
• Support for FiLMiC Remote. FiLMiC Remote allows you to control an iOS device running FiLMiC Pro with a second device running FiLMiC Remote.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby RJ Johnston » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:42 pm

Thanks, Sidd.

I have tried Filmic and Filmic Pro, but the app tells me that my smartphone isn't compatible. I can't force constant FPS. The Pro version won't even install.

Rob
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby sidd finch » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:05 pm

I found this link that has a list of good smartphone apps. Maybe there is one there that might work for your situation.

http://www.smartphonefilmpro.com/what-a ... hone-2017/

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby RJ Johnston » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:12 pm

Thanks Sidd,

I've been using Cinema FV-5 and Open Camera. I've tried all the other "best" apps and some of the less-than-best for Android. Not one can give constant FPS for my LG phone.

Rob
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby sidd finch » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:07 am

RJ that is a bummer. I wonder if there is a way to find a version of an older app that would run on the smartphone. It is frustrating that the quickness of phone updates is so fast. I barely get used to the app before they upgrade it...

When you export to Photoshop is there a way to create a "Photoshop Action" which is basically a Photoshop macro that records what you do. That way for future videos you can just run the Photoshop action and it automates your process. Maybe one action to download, and another to combine the still images. Just a thought.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby RJ Johnston » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:56 pm

Sidd,

I've gone beyond Photoshop -- because it takes too long -- and produced a program with Microsoft Visual Studio 2017 - Visual Basic. It works with the video files that I have. Without all the documentation, though, I'm not sure what "should" be done. I don't have a clue about programming the audio part, such as how to change the length and maintain the pitch. I've only done enough to change the frame rate from variable to constant. For the audio, I time stretch it in a video editor to maintain the pitch. There are some boxes (atoms) in the MP4 file that I don't even what to get involved with, and so far I haven't needed to touch those boxes.

What I do now is just run my VB application, enter a frame rate, then open one or more video files. In a flash, they are done. All the video editors I have now recognize the MP4 files as constant 29.97 fps. But, the audio length doesn't match the video length, so I have to unlink the audio from the video and time stretch the audio to match the video.

Rob
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby jfzaki » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:09 am

RJ Johnston wrote:I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but my Smartphone records video at variable frames per second. When editing the video in an editor, the timing doesn't always synchronize correctly with the editors constant frame rate and causes judder in the editor and on export.

I found that Adobe Photoshop can export video frames to jpegs without any blending taking place. The jpeg sequence can then be imported into editors where you can specify a constant frames-per-second. Yes, you have to time-stretch the audio, maintaining pitch option, so it matches the length of the video. I tried exporting frames from other video editors, but the results aren't the same as with Adobe's.

After doing this a few times, I wanted something that didn't take so long. I found that I could modify the bytes in the VIDE "stts" box of an MP4 container so the duration of each frame was constant. There were a few other "boxes" in the mp4 container I had to update as well. No changes were made to MDAT. I can now convert a video file in an instant from variable to constant fps so that it can be edited and exported at 29.97 or any other constant fps without the judder. I don't do anything with the audio, except in a video editor, I unlink the audio from the video, and then time-stretch the audio so it's the same length as the video. Sometimes I don't even have to do anything with the audio in cases where no one is seen talking in the clip.

Of course I'm doing all this with copies of the original video files, and it's all for casual use, nothing critical.
Does anyone know of an existing app(lication) that can do this conversion without modifying the movie data? It would be nice if everyone could have free access to it.

Thanks.

hi, I'm new to video editing as i'm trying to produce content for youtube. I used my mobile with cinema fv-5 to shoot the video. Now i'm trying to edit it but it isn't working in any editing software because of the variable framerate. Can you please send me your s/w that fixes this issue in seconds? or maybe explain to me how to modify the bytes in the mp4 container? what tools should I use ...etc.

thanks in advance.
jfzaki
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:18 am

Here's our tutorial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSVarfrhr1M&t

Although there are other things to consider like the source of your video and which editor you're using to edit it. iPhone HEVC video, for instance, has some unique challenges.

But converting with Handbrake should solve your problem.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby jfzaki » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:41 pm

THANKS A MILLION :YY:
jfzaki
New User
New User

Postby MP#$864zz » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:43 pm

I am Thinking of Giving this a Try.
How can you tell of your Smart Phone
has variable FPS Rate ?
Is there a Place or program to give this info
on your Smart Phone Capability ?
Sidd talked about an External Microphone.
If phone does not Have Phone Jack.
Only USB C. Phone is Google Pixel 2.
Reviews say it has very good Camera.
Thanks for your help.
Fred
OLD Dell Precision Work Station T 3500
Xeon CPU X 5650 @ 2.67 GHz
12 GB Ram 64 bit
MP#$864zz

Postby Peru » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:16 pm

MP#$864zz wrote:I am Thinking of Giving this a Try.
How can you tell of your Smart Phone
has variable FPS Rate ? Phone is Google Pixel 2.

It appears to be constant frame rate:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixel_2#: ... 0240%20FPS.
Peru

Postby sidd finch » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:25 pm

How can you tell of your Smart Phone has variable FPS Rate ?

You can also right click the video and select properties. Select details and scroll to frame rate.

Sidd
sidd finch

Next

Return to Water Cooler