They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Fade in and Fade out Video

Specific to Premiere Elements version 15

Fade in and Fade out Video

Postby Carol Noblitt » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:52 pm

Help Please!

Issue #1 When I right click on a clip for a fade in or out, the yellow rubber band across the top moves about
halfway down the clip and turns into a continuous jagged yellow line. There are no slopes or keyframes
at the beginning or end of the clip indicating percentage of opacity . . .just a continuous jagged line.
And there is no fading in or fading out on the clip.

Issue #2 When I right click for fade in or fade out, or both, my clip darkens so much the video clip is barely visible.

What is going on here?
Carol Noblitt
New User
New User

Re: Fade in and Fade out Video

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:02 am

Can you post a screen capture of your clip after you apply a Fade In so we can see what you're describing?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Carol Noblitt » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:00 pm

Thank you, Steve. I will be glad to send a post showing the clip before the fade out and after I apply the fade out. I apologize, however, because I do not know how to do a screen capture and post it. Could you briefly explain? I try to figure these things out before posting a question, but I am at a total loss on this one.
Carol Noblitt
New User
New User

Postby Bob » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:11 pm

If you are using Windows 7 or later, there is a snipping tool in the Windows Accessories that you can use to take a screen shot and save as a jpeg for posting.

I'd like to see a shot of the Opacity property of that clip in the Applied Effects Panel as well.

How long is the clip?
Bob

Postby Carol Noblitt » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:49 pm

Capture 5.JPG
Capture 4.JPG
Capture 3.JPG
Capture 1.JPG

Capture 2.JPG

Thank you for your assistance, Bob. I am using Windows 7 and hope I have done this correctly. No images are visible on this screen, just a list of five jpeg attachments.

I included as attachment 5 the entire edited clip which is about 1 1/2 minutes in length. My reason for including attachment 5 is so you can see I have placed a title at the end of the clip. I thought perhaps the title could be affecting the Fade out effect in someway. But on the other hand, I applied Fade in and/or Fade out to other clips that have no title or transition at the beginning or end with the same result with the fade in and out effect.

It is my understanding that if I have edited or split the clip that I must select the first split for fade in and the last split for fade out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carol Noblitt
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:32 pm

It looks like you've got an incomplete fade. But I don't know why that would happen.

Select another clip on your timeline. And, rather than using the Opacity switch, just right-click and select the Fade Out option.

Do you get the same results?
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Peru » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:18 pm

Does it happen on all clips or just that one clip?
Can you manually keyframe the fade?
Peru

Postby Carol Noblitt » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:17 am

Steve and Peru, thank you for your prompt responses.

Steve, I did not use the Opacity switch when applying the Fade in/Fade out effect. I selected the clip, then right clicked from the fade menu as you demonstrated in your Tutorial 4.

I have 14 clips on my timeline and applied the Fade in and/or Fade effect to each of them. A few of them worked perfectly. However, I did notice that on the clips where the fading effect would not work properly, I had edited and split the clip very near the beginning or end of the clip resulting in a spliced portion that is very short in length. Could this be the problem?

If so, is there a way to manually set the Fade in/Fade out effect? Alternatively, is there a way to merge the short spliced clip with the longer adjacent clip so the two sections run in continuity with each other? To do so would result in the beginning (or ending) of the clip being longer in duration and perhaps allow the Fade in/Fade out effect to work properly.

Your suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Carol Noblitt
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:48 am

Of course you can manually create your own Opacity keyframes to create you fades in and out.

But I'd still want to get to the bottom of what's going on.

I've never seen anything like this, even when using VOB files to build my projects. And I just really don't have a clue why this is happening. Does it happen when you're editing other than VOB files?
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:07 pm

I did notice that on the clips where the fading effect would not work properly, I had edited and split the clip very near the beginning or end of the clip resulting in a spliced portion that is very short in length. Could this be the problem?

It could very well be the problem.

First, a comment regarding the darkness of the monitor window. Take a look at screen capture 2. Notice where the CTI (current time indicator aka play head) is located. The yellow line is an indicator of what the opacity is at that point. Where the CTI is located, the Opacity is quite low so you would be seeing a dark monitor screen. That's entirely normal as the monitor window is showing you a preview of the video. If you move the CTI back and forth along the timeline, the darkness of the monitor window will vary with the position as shown by the yellow line.

The other issue with capture 2 is that the yellow opacity line does not go to 100% at the beginning of the clip and 0% at the end. I believe that is a result of editing/trimming the clip after applying opacity keyframes. Fade In and Fade Out are presets that add opacity keyframes to the selected clip. Once keyframes are added, splitting the clip or trimming the clip doesn't change the position of the applied keyframes -- these edits only affect what portion of the clip is showing on the timeline. Premiere Elements still remembers where the keyframes would have been and adjusts the opacity of the visible portion of the clip accordingly. The yellow line showing in capture 2 is exactly what you would get if you had a clip with 100% on the left and 0% on the right and you then trimmed off both ends.

Here's something you can try. Select the affected clip and open the applied effects panel. On the Opacity property, toggle the clock icon off and on to remove the existing keyframes on the clip and then apply the fade or manually add the keyframes.
Bob

Postby Carol Noblitt » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:03 pm

Steve, I have done no video editing other than this one project. This is my first experience with video editing and have relied on your excellent tutorials and printed manual for guidance.

Bob, I understand your comments about Premier Elements remembering the positions of the keyframes. However, the caveat to that is I did all editing to all 14 clips on my timeline BEFORE I applied the fading effects and there were no keyframes to be remembered. I did not cut or trim any of them afterwards.

I tend to think the fading problem might be with the shortness of the clip to which I am applying the fading effect since it will work properly on longer clips. I noticed the preset duration of the fading effect from opacity to transparency or transparency to opacity (depending on whether it is a fade in or fade out) is approximately 35 seconds (WAY too long). If I make a cut near the beginning or end of a clip where I want to apply a fading effect, the cut ripples back to the original clip, but the cut section stands alone when I apply an effect. In other words, the fading effect will not extend beyond the "section" I have cut from the total clip, even though the cut section rippled back. In some instances, the cut section is only 10 seconds or less in duration Since the preset duration of the fading effect is 35 seconds, if I apply it to a "section" of the clip where I have made a cut and the cut is only 10 seconds or less in duration, it seems the fading effect does not have sufficient space to create the slope and put the keyframes in place. What to you think?

Thanks to both of you!
Carol Noblitt
New User
New User

Postby Bob » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:00 pm

Sorry for the confusion.

The fading problem you are having is due to a combination of the shortness of the clip and the long duration of the fade. One caveat before I explain what I think is happening. I am a Premiere Pro user. Premiere Pro works a bit differently than Premiere Elements. I did use Premiere Elements at one time, but it's been many years ago and I don't have a copy of Premiere Elements on my computer to attempt to duplicate your problem. It's possible that Premiere Elements 15 does things differently than what I expect from my prior experience. I'll trust that Steve or Chuck will jump in and set things straight if need be.

Fade In and Fade Out are actually presets that apply keyframe values to the opacity property. Fade In places a keyframe with 0% opacity at the beginning of the clip it's applied to and a second keyframe with 100% opacity at a point determined by the duration of the fade. Fade Out is similar, but places the keyframe with 0% opacity at the end of the clip and the other keyframe with 100% opacity will be placed earlier at a point determined by the duration of the fade. If the duration of the fade is greater than the duration of the clip it's applied to, only one keyframe will be within the bounds of the clip -- the other keyframe will be outside the clip. When that happens, you will not see the full range of 0-100%, you will only get the portion that is within the bounds of the clips. The keyframes that are outside the bounds of the clip do not affect adjacent clips. Like effects, presets only affect the clip they are applied to.

In your case, you are getting a Fade Out duration of about 35 seconds. That's huge! I don't know whether Adobe changed the Fade Out duration in PrE 15 or there is something odd in your installation. But, typically fades are far shorter. If your clip is less then 35 seconds, you will not see the 100% keyframe at all. The shorter your clip the darker it will be because you are starting at a lower opacity.

I know of no way to change the duration of the built-in Fade In/Out presets. But you should be able to create custom presets of whatever duration you want. These custom presets would appear in the "My Presets" list and you would apply them from there rather than the built-in Fade In/Out feature. Here's the section of the manual that describes how to create an effect preset. For step 3 of that procedure, instead of applying an effect, manually keyframe the opacity keyframes. I'd suggest setting up a one second fade in and fade out preset. You will need to do them separately. Start with a clip that has no effects or presets applied. For Fade In, manually place a 0% opacity keyframe at the beginning of the clip and then place a 100% opacity keyframe at the 1 second mark. Save the preset using the Anchor to In Point option. For Fade Out, be sure you clear out any existing keyframes or start fresh and then add a 0% opacity keyframe at the end of the clip and place a 100% opacity keyframe one second earlier. Save the preset using the Anchor to Out Point option.
Bob

Postby Carol Noblitt » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:08 pm

Bob, once I checked the duration of the fade-in/fade-out preset, the answer to my problem became obvious: The right click option for fading will only work on clips substantially longer than 35 seconds which is the preset time on the right click fading option.

On those clips where I applied the fading option and it worked perfectly, every time I grabbed the top keyframe and decreased the duration to 1 or 2 seconds, not realizing the fade time was preset for 35 seconds. The problem occurred only on short clips. I have now created my own fade preset for 1 and 2 seconds, and all is well.

Yes, a 35-second preset fade is huge! Heck, I can pour myself a glass of wine and take a few sips waiting for a 35-second fade!!

I implore other visitors to this forum to check their preset fading duration time in PRE 15 to see if it is 35 seconds as mine is and post the result. This way I will know if my preset fading effect in PRE 15 is related somehow to my app's installation.

Many, many thanks for your input and your help in resolving my problem.
Carol Noblitt
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:24 am

You sure shouldn't need to have a 35+ second long clip to apply a fade, Carol. Something is definitely wrong somewhere.

Go to the program's preferences. (Under the Edit on a Windows computer.) Open the General page of preferences. What are the settings for your Video and Audio Transition defaults?

Also, go to your Edit menu and select Project Settings. What are the settings listed on the General page here?
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Carol Noblitt » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:48 pm

Steve, per your inquiry:

Under my Edit/Preferences/General, the Video Transition Default Duration is 1100 frames; AudioTransition Default Duration is 1.00 seconds.

Under my Edit/Preferences/General/Project settings, everything is grayed-out except under Video: Frame Size 1920 horizontal and 1080 vertical; and Display Format 30fps Drop-Frame Timecode, Title Safe Area 20% horizontal, 20% vertical; Action Safe Area 10% horizontal; and Action Safe Area 10% horizontal, 10% vertical
Carol Noblitt
New User
New User

Next

Return to PRE Version 15