They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Dual layer BD-RE in single layer burner?

Talk about anything here.

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue May 02, 2017 7:39 pm

I have a DVD/Blu-ray burner (internal). I've been using a Verbatim BD-RE single layer (25GB) for burning projects to just to "check them out" on the TV, usually before they're a finished product. I don't know how many times it's been written to, but I know I've been using it for years. Today it finally gave out on me, dropping out and pixelating on playback. Burnt the project twice, same results, then burnt it to DVD successfully.

When I went looking to purchase a replacement for it I found that Verbatim is only selling the BD-RE discs in dual layer. I found some in other brands, but not too sure if I trust them. My question is, if I purchase a dual layer BD-RE can I write/read to/from it in my single layer burner?

EDIT: I found a Sony single layer on Newegg for $17.18 with free shipping, but also found a box of 5 of the Verbatims for $20.03, free shipping! I really only need one, but I guess for less than another $3.00 I may as well get the box of 5. Still interested in an answer to my original question, though.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Re: Dual layer BD-RE in single layer burner?

Postby Peru » Wed May 03, 2017 8:34 am

Your burner needs to support dual layer discs if you want to burn to dual layer discs.
Peru

Postby Dave McElderry » Wed May 03, 2017 9:12 am

Peru wrote:Your burner needs to support dual layer discs if you want to burn to dual layer discs.

So even if I only want to burn a single layer, my single layer burner won't be able to do that onto a dual layer disc? It's interesting, since my single layer burner will read commercial Blu-ray movies.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby sidd finch » Wed May 03, 2017 9:50 am

Dave I think that the commercial DVD's are manufactured with a different process than the consumer write discs.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Dave McElderry » Wed May 03, 2017 10:51 am

sidd finch wrote:Dave I think that the commercial DVD's are manufactured with a different process than the consumer write discs.

Thanks Sidd.

Dave McElderry

Return to Water Cooler