They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Question re: Upgrading to Win10 Creators Update

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

Question re: Upgrading to Win10 Creators Update

Postby George Tyndall » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:38 pm

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/windows-10-creators-update-early-access/

My wife's new Acer laptop has Win10 Version 1511.

Question: Which of the five methods listed in the article, if any, do muvipixers recommend for her?

Thanks.

:conf:
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Question re: Upgrading to Win10 Creators Update

Postby Bob » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:36 am

Personally, I don't like any of those options.

I have Windows 10 Pro which has a provision for setting Windows update to defer feature updates such as the Anniversary Edition or the Creators Update until the release is classified as “Current Branch for Business.” That's the next phase in the deployment cycle after the general public and considerably more stable. Your wife's computer appears to be the Home Edition which doesn't have that feature. Of those options, I wouldn't pick any that would accelerate the installation of the Anniversary Update, it's already showing signs of being buggy. If you haven't already, back up the system. You can then try option 1 and hope for the best or use the metered connection trick, if you can, to delay the update.
Bob

Postby George Tyndall » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:10 am

Hi Bob, and thanks for the reply.

Bob wrote:Personally, I don't like any of those options.

I have Windows 10 Pro which has a provision for setting Windows update to defer feature updates such as the Anniversary Edition or the Creators Update until the release is classified as “Current Branch for Business.” That's the next phase in the deployment cycle after the general public and considerably more stable. Your wife's computer appears to be the Home Edition which doesn't have that feature.

Yes, it's the Home edition.

Of those options, I wouldn't pick any that would accelerate the installation of the Anniversary Update, it's already showing signs of being buggy. If you haven't already, back up the system.

We've created a clone but haven't been able to test it yet as we have yet to receive the system repair and installation disks from Acer.

You can then try option 1 and hope for the best or use the metered connection trick, if you can, to delay the update.

We've been using the metered connection trick since we first booted her machine out of the box, which is why we are still on version 1511, the version that came with her machine.

We are thinking of staying with Version 1511 and running NIS's Live Update each time we boot the machine until Woody indicates all bugs are out of the updates. Is this reasonable?

Thank you.
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:58 am

Given that you are following Woody's patch recommendations, I'd say yes.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Bob

Return to Computer Issues