They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Too many effects?

Specific to Premiere Elements version 15

Re: Too many effects?

Postby abgtc » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:21 pm

Unfortunately, yes to both; zoom is always selected and the settings are the same for all my videos.
abgtc

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:11 am

If Zoom is selected on the Crop tool, you WILL get this effect.

Normally, Zoom is NOT selected for Crop unless you want to achieve a certain effect.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby abgtc » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:04 am

Interesting! I've been using Zoom on all my Crops and this is the first time I've had this problem.

Beyond that, I guess I don't understand the purpose of Zoom: with it, the framing of the clip is changed (presumably to improve it); without it, the original clip is preserved except there's a black border added around the areas cropped. I'm still a bit new to Premiere, but while I can see (and have used) countless instances where you might want to change (i.e., improve) the original framing of a shot, I don't see when you'd want to have a black border around it.
abgtc

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:46 pm

The black border is only black because your cropped video is on Video 1.

If you have the video you're cropping on Video 2 and you have another video on Video 1 directly below it, rather than black you'll see the video on Video 1 where you've cropped.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby abgtc » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:52 pm

Not sure what you mean -- I only have one video. When I crop a clip and don't zoom it, the borders appear on the exported video; when I crop and zoom, the shot is adjusted accordingly and has no borders.
abgtc

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:17 am

I was just trying to explain the purpose of the Crop effect. Sorry to confuse things.

The long and short of it is, if you have Zoom checked, the video you crop will stretch out to fill your screen, even if it distorts the image. And that seems to be what is happening in your video.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby abgtc » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:01 pm

Ahh... but I don't think so. Whenever I zoom, which is often, I always match the left/right percentage with the top/bottom percentage so there's no stretching. Check the original "bad" image -- the ratios appear to be the same, but the framing's off, like the black band at the top (which isn't a border, just bad framing).

But I've come to the conclusion that the problem is with this particular clip, since there've been no problems with any of the others.
abgtc

Postby Peru » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:08 pm

You may be right, but do the others have the same set of effects applied?
Peru

Postby abgtc » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:26 pm

Yep. The only difference, as I mentioned, is that there are more crops in this video than in previous. But I've used the combination of cropping, image control (contrast) and, sometimes, horizontal flip in countless other clips/videos with no previous problems.
abgtc

Postby Bob » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:05 pm

Whenever I zoom, which is often, I always match the left/right percentage with the top/bottom percentage so there's no stretching. Check the original "bad" image -- the ratios appear to be the same, but the framing's off, like the black band at the top (which isn't a border, just bad framing).

Nevertheless, when you look at the two example images you posted, the second "bad" image is indeed stretched.

If you are trying to match left/right top/bottom to avoid distorting the image, there is a much better way to scale and reframe your image. Use the pre-applied effects. Every clip on the timeline has a set of standard effects pre-applied. One of these effects is called "Motion". Select the clip on the timeline and go to the Applied Effects panel and open the "Motion" effect. The Position property controls the position of the clip in the video frame. The Scale property controls the size. As long as Constrain Proportions is checked, the clip will be scaled the same horizontally and vertically. If you click on the Motion effect header line in the panel, the clip will be displayed with handles that you can drag in the monitor to quickly resize the image. Likewise, you can drag in the image to reposition it. For precise control, you would use the property adjustment controls.

The crop effect is used almost exclusively to crop a video clip in order to use it as a picture-in-picture or overlay over another clip. "Zoom" is almost never used in practice.

As far as the black area in the "bad" image, that looks for all the world like what you would get if you used the crop effect and at the same time, the position property has been changed thereby offsetting the image in the frame. I don't know if that is what is happening with your project, but it would certainly look like that.
Bob

Postby abgtc » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:37 pm

Interesting! I'll definitely give that method a try.

The mystery of what's happening to this particular video, though, remains a mystery: the position property definitely wasn't changed.
abgtc

Previous

Return to PRE Version 15