They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

mpeg pc or mpeg dvd

Specific to Premiere Elements version 15

mpeg pc or mpeg dvd

Postby AVITRY » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:14 pm

I usually use the bit rate calculator to determine the bit rate needed to fit a vhs conversion from avi to mpeg so that it will fit on a dvd. Once I do what I have to do in PE, I check the length of the movie, minimize PE , open bit rate calculator and plug the time in to get my bit rate for encoding.

I finally found something familiar with older versions in the export and share ... under custom. I pick the standard ntsc size and then open up the advanced section if I recall.

But there are two mpeg choices PC and DVD. Well I picked DVD of course, seemed logical, but what is mpeg PC ? Is that the same as mpeg 2 and mpeg 4 ? Couldn't they have just said mpeg2 and mpeg4. Maybe that isn't it.

Also, while I picked export both audio and video, I must have forgotten to tick muliplex cause I ended up with a wav file. I thought that was interesting since I chose mpeg dvd, I guess I need to try another test for that.

BTW, could they make the font any smaller? LOL geez I knocked my monitor over with my nose trying to read it. :)

That would be on my wish list for next versions. Custom skins or background colors, custom font sizes.
ASRock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen/3 motherboard. Core i7 2600 and 16 gigs of ddr3. SSD Crucial boot drive, GTX750 Ti video card. Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.
AVITRY
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: mpeg pc or mpeg dvd

Postby RJ Johnston » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:26 pm

Joe,

MPEG2 DVD creates two files, one for video and one for audio. This is for those who wish to author their DVD with third-party software that requires separate video and audio streams.

MPEG4 is not MPEG2. DVD requires MPEG2.

Rob
Dell XPS 8940 Intel 8-core 10th gen.-i7 10700K (3.8-5.1 GHz); 32GB DDR4 2933 MHz RAM; 512 GB SSD; 2 TB 7200 HD; BDRE-drive; NVIDIA(R) Geforce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8G8 GDDR6
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby AVITRY » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:53 am

Hey Rob! ... thanks for the reply. I guess I'm assuming things and then getting confused.

So this is a video encoding type (mpegDVD) encodes to two separate unmuxed files, one video and one audio? Now within that choice category in PE15 is a tab that allows you to tick multiplex. I assume that means create an mpeg with both audio and video.

If I'm correct there, the next question is first, then what is mpeg PC? and why the need for it's separate category in the first place, if there is an option in mpeg DVD to combine audio and video or separate it, in the encoded result with the multiplex option?

The reason I figured mpeg PC meant mp4 was because I was thinking, hmm, for playback on a PC which didn't need the DVD standard of mpg2. I looked in Adobe help, but couldn't find definitions for what each thing was. I never heard those terms used before. I hope I'm understanding this better now. So, I should use mpeg PC or ... it doesn't matter so long as I'm aware of the multiplex option in mpeg DVD?

I have to get used to new hoops to jump through, with the newer program, LOL. It seems all the options I've been so used to working with are buried much deeper in the program. Whew .. and like I said, man the fonts are tiny and I'm getting older too. :-8

Also, I was very surprised to see the yellow line over my video clip when I imported it after capture from the Canopus 300. I thought PE was a program that handled dv-avi natively, and therefore wouldn't have that yellow line.

Which brings to mind yet another question. I realize the PE15 automatically tries to set up the editing preferences based on which video clip is installed on the timeline first, but where ... if at all, can I initially do the things I'm so used to, namely,the opening option to name my project, my project location on the hard drive, and then the ntsc dv preferences. This used to open up by itself right after I clicked to open the editor .. now ... I can't even find find the option. If I recall correctly, when I went to preferences under edit heading and then general ... the options are grayed out and I seem stuck with what is there until I put a clip on the timeline. Seems strange way to do things.

I know I'm asking a lot of questions .. but I'm pretty confused ..... LOL

Hope I'm not too much of a pain in the butt relearning all this stuff, and I appreciate the time taken to help.
------------------------------------------------------------
On an aside note, I think I finally got DVD Workshop running in XP mode. I had such a problem getting the microsoft KB update Virtual PC to load on my computer. The installer ran and ran and ran looking for update KB files forever. I happened upon the cure by accident. I got so frustrated waiting for this loader to find the KB file, that I clicked on the KB file again to start another instance of the installer, and got an error message saying only one instance of the stand alone installer can run at one time.

That got me thinking ... hey, Microsoft already has this thing running in the background all the time looking for updates. So, I went into Control Panel > Windows Update > and set it to "Never Update". Rebooted and tried to load Virtual PC ... bingo .. loaded right away. Go figure.
ASRock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen/3 motherboard. Core i7 2600 and 16 gigs of ddr3. SSD Crucial boot drive, GTX750 Ti video card. Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.
AVITRY
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:00 am

Joe, The place to name the project, besides doing "Save as," is with File > New Project. Then you can enter a project name and select the type of project. If you don't want the project type to change when you put the first video clip on the timeline, you set the option to "force project settings..." I think if you want to change the project type after you've already started working on it, is by selecting all objects on the timeline and doing an edit > cut, then put a video clip on the timeline that has the properties you want for the project, then paste back everything else. And that's if you haven't selected the option to "force project settings..." Project type won't change to the videos properties unless Adobe has set up the template for it.

Why have MPEG PC and MPEG DVD as two separate presets? That's for people who don't know how to multiplex or want an MPEG2 file that has different frame sizes, for example. MPEG2 (PC) lets you change the frame size, but MPEG2 DVD is fixed. Also, the MPEG DVD preset has valid parameters for a DVD already set up. It just makes it more convenient for users to have things already set up for a specific purpose. You could do it yourself and use MPEG2 DVD preset to start with and then use the multiplexer tab to create one file by clicking the DVD option instead of None, but most people probably won't know you can do that. You can set up multiple presets for yourself based just on MPEG2 (PC) where each preset might have a different bitrate or frame size or whatever options that are available. It's customizable. If you name the preset, you won't have to set it up from scratch again.

I got DVD Workshop to run in XP on Oracle's virtual pc, but there was something that I couldn't do, and I don't remember what it was. Maybe I couldn't capture from my DV camcorder.
Dell XPS 8940 Intel 8-core 10th gen.-i7 10700K (3.8-5.1 GHz); 32GB DDR4 2933 MHz RAM; 512 GB SSD; 2 TB 7200 HD; BDRE-drive; NVIDIA(R) Geforce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8G8 GDDR6
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby AVITRY » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:41 pm

Thanks, I see. I'll get into a workflow and it will fall into place. I appreciate the help. As I said, what I do is so redundant, that there isn't much new stuff I'm learning.

So, if I go into File > New and create preferences for DVD, that yellow line over the video clip will be gone? Or it doesn't really matter. I was concerned that it wasn't a rendered timeline. (always looking for something to worry about, that's me)

After I wrestled with that stand alone update loader program in Win.7 and I got DVDWorkshop installed in XP mode, the only thing I couldn't do was burn a DVD. I had to save the menued product to an ISO file. and then burn it via Windows 7 and another program.
AVITRY
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:22 pm

The yellow line will be gone if the parameters of the video clip (such as frame rate and frame size and pixel aspect ratio), on the timeline match the parameters of the project preset in effect and there aren't any FX or Adjustments or other clips in parallel on other tracks. The yellow line will turn green if you render preview files. The in and out markers have to be set first for the section where you want rendered preview files.

If the yellow line is there and playback is funky, then click on the Render button. After Premiere Elements renders a preview file, the yellow line will turn green. If you don't need the preview files anymore, you can clean them up with menu items in the Timeline menu. The preview files can really accumulate over time and take up a lot of disk space. They aren't used for Create/Share. They are just used to make playback in the preview window smoother.

BTW, Steve's book, "The Moviepix.com Guide to Premiere Elements 15," will give you the information you need to use Premiere Elements and will have answers to a lot of your questions.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby AVITRY » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:43 pm

Thanks again Rob. I do have two of Steve's books, although older ver. of PE and also DVD Arch. and ... I will at some point get the vers. 15 book, but honestly, for my interest, and for what I do, it merely amounts to figuring out where they stuck the changes and how to simply get going.

The extent of my needs with PE 15 are ...

1. to run on Windows 7 so I can take advantage of both a faster processor as well as more system memory, so I can do more vhs transfers in one sitting.

2. Be able to clip the beginning and end of a vhs capture clip. ( which I understand already, amazingly :) )

3. To capture from the Canopus ... LOL scratch that one. :ha:

4. To be able to apply the switch channel audio effect to a duplicated audio track. ( thank God that is still available) so I can make a stereo track mono from both speakers.

And that's really it. Never really work with any advanced features, so, once I get this minor redundant process down, I just do it over and over. That's why I appreciate all the help just getting off the starting block and relearning my process with this new version. From that point on it is mindless repetition. And that is right up my alley!!! :-D
AVITRY
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:22 pm

If you are looking for software to capture from the Canopus, Scenalyzer might do it, although I can't be sure. There was something in the FAQ text file about being able to capture from a Canopus card. I used Scenalyzer in the past for capturing from my DV camcorder. The author has discontinued development and support but is providing the software and key for free.

http://www.scenalyzer.com/
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to PRE Version 15