They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

How does PRE 15 compare to PRE 13?

Specific to Premiere Elements version 15

How does PRE 15 compare to PRE 13?

Postby OleSouWester » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:33 pm

I usually upgrade every other version, currently I am running PRE 13 so I was thinking of upgrading to PRE 15. However, looking at the differences they don't seem to be that great. I don't use the organiser and the rest seem rather gimmicky: Dehaze: Adjust lighting/contrast etc, but also, not every shot has to be crystal clear - what about atmosphere? Collage: Can already be done in v13 (albeit not automated, but I would prefer to set my own parameters for that) More titles and styles - these are easy to do anyway so more presets does not appeal. Coordinating music to length of clip - can be done using time stretch but a bit fiddly so that would be useful. All in all the only real advantage I can see for premier elements v15 are 1: fitting music to clip length and 2: better export options for the finished video. So other than adding some gimmicky presets, is it a real step up from v13, or just a few more bells and whistles? I know there were some changes to PRE 14 too. Any feedback appreciated!

Ole Sou'Wester
OleSouWester
New User
New User

Re: How does PRE 15 compare to PRE 13?

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:35 pm

Features are really the only reason to upgrade. If the features interest you, do it. If not, you might as well keep the version you have.

On the left side of this page you'll see the new features added to version 14.
http://muvipix.com/pe14.php

And on the left side of this page, you'll see the new features added to version 15.
http://muvipix.com/pe15.php

Each page also includes mini-tutorials demonstrating most of these new features.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby RJ Johnston » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:23 am

The one feature that stands out to me in version 14 is the redesigned and more pleasurable Export and Share workflow. Steve, is that right? I don't own that version, but I've been trying version 15, which I presume has the same feature. I've been on version 11, so there are a lot of new features going from 11 to 15 that would make it worthwhile to upgrade. Version 15 even uses Intel HD Graphics 2000 and newer for hardware acceleration for rendering, playback, and export.

You really can't use Brightness and Contrast for the Haze filter. Brightness and contrast would affect the whole image whereas Haze affects only the light pixels. That means if you used brightness and contrast, you would also need a mask to prevent the non-hazed pixels from changing.
Dell XPS 8940 Intel 8-core 10th gen.-i7 10700K (3.8-5.1 GHz); 32GB DDR4 2933 MHz RAM; 512 GB SSD; 2 TB 7200 HD; BDRE-drive; NVIDIA(R) Geforce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8G8 GDDR6
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:38 am

I agree, Robert. The Export & Share screen is much more navigable than the old Publish & Share system.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby TreeTopsRanch » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:27 am

I'm coming from version 8 so guess I'll upgrade to this version soon.
TreeTopsRanch
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby OleSouWester » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:59 pm

Thanks all for the replies, especially the lists from Steve. I have a much clearer idea now of the cumulative differences between PRE/PSE13 & 15. It looks like the PSE changes would be more useful to me as my move into video from still photos is quite recent. Improved export and share in PRE sounds appealing too as does improved rendering. I'll probably wait until January and see if the price drops then!
OleSouWester
New User
New User

Return to PRE Version 15