They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

AVCHD Video Not Running in Monitor Panel

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 10.

AVCHD Video Not Running in Monitor Panel

Postby rusty » Sun May 22, 2016 11:37 am

Hi all. It's been a looooong time since I have been here. Opening a new law firm is time consuming! I hope everyone is well.

I have a little problem I'm hoping for some help with.

I upgraded to a new computer with Windows 10 6 months ago, and reinstalled PE10 that I previously ran on my 7 year old Windows 7 quad-core machine. Today was the first time I uploaded some AVCHD video from my trusty Canon Vixia HF10 (yup - bought it in 2008!) and brought it into PE10.

I opened a new project with the proper AVCHD project settings. When I drop the 2:45 clip onto the timeline, it takes a while for anything to show in the monitor panel, but eventually a frame shows up there. When I drag the CTI, the video scrubs through just fine, with audio. However, when I play the clip, the frame stays the fixed and no video plays, although the audio is just fine.

Also, when I tried to share the clip to .mov format, the resulting file displays no video when it plays in Quicktime - only audio (I have updated Quicktime, PE10 and the NVidia driver). When I created an AVI, the video and audio work fine (although I'm not that excited about the resolution of the video).

I tried dropping the .mov file back into my PE10 project and playing it there - again there is a still frame but now the video doesn't even scrub (although again, the audio is fine).

Any ideas? I probably should have just used my Nikon D600 or Coolpix S9900. Should I just upgrade to PE14?

Russ
Russ
rusty
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: AVCHD Video Not Running in Monitor Panel

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun May 22, 2016 12:18 pm

When you first add the AVCHD clip to your timeline, is there a red "render" line above the clip along the top of the Timeline?

This would indicate that the settings you're using aren't an exact match for the video. Which, in version 10, really makes a big difference in performance.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby rusty » Sun May 22, 2016 1:10 pm

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I didn't recall seeing the red bar (I usually look for it and hit <enter> to render before sharing, if it's there). I just tried bringing it into the same project again and my recollection was correct - no red bar.

Russ
Russ
rusty
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Peru » Sun May 22, 2016 1:42 pm

rusty wrote:I usually look for it and hit <enter> to render before sharing, if it's there

Russ

As an aside, you don't need to do that if only for sharing.
Peru

Postby rusty » Sun May 22, 2016 2:22 pm

Thanks Peru - I realize that but I've always done it, mostly as a matter of superstition as much as anything really, particularly if I have a mix of green and red bars at the top.

R
Russ
rusty
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun May 22, 2016 4:13 pm

It might be worth uninstalling and reinstalling the program. All the settings seem to be right -- but for some reason things just aren't running smoothly. Might not hurt to run CCleaner too, since you upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 rather than doing an install from scratch of the OS. (I assume you still have plenty of free space on your hard drive.)

Though it might also be interesting to download the free trial of version 14 and load the file into it, just to see if your results are different.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby rusty » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:05 pm

Thanks Steve,

I downloaded the Trial version of PE 14 and the video loads into an AVCHD project nicely. I'll try re-loading PE 10 and see what happens. If I have no luck, I'll just purchase the full version of PE 14.

Russ
Russ
rusty
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:08 am

rusty wrote:I'll try re-loading PE 10 and see what happens. If I have no luck, I'll just purchase the full version of PE 14.

Don't forget that v15 is likely just around the corner if Adobe stick with their normal upgrade/release cycle. :-D
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby rusty » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:21 am

Thanks John...I thought of exactly that as I was plunking in my credit card info, but I needed to get on with it tonight. One could potentially wait forever if they worried too much about the next version cycle so I bit the bullet.

So far, there is a lot to like about V14, at least for doing quick little pieces. The interface is certainly different, but for the basics I found my way around it okay. Sharing seems a lot easier and more flexible so I like that. The AVCHD rendered and saved very quickly.

I have a feeling I may move to Premiere Pro one of these days, so this could be my last outlay for PE. I started with V7, bought V8 (yuck - never used it), 10 and now 14. To be honest, I think V7 was my favourite...
Russ
rusty
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:35 am

rusty wrote:I started with V7, bought V8 (yuck - never used it), 10 and now 14. To be honest, I think V7 was my favourite...

I liked v2 best but then I moved to PPro, a transition that was quite easy as, at that time, PrEl really was a cut down version of PPro having an almost identical interface.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:17 am

Hi Rusty !! Welcome Back !!
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby WendellFrye » Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:55 pm

I have the same problem, i have a new computer with 12 cores, 1TB graphics card, 32 GB ram, and lots of storage space. I installed Adobe Elements 10 because I can make DVDs with nice chapters etc. I also have Premiere Pro but it dosn't make DVDs easily. Everthing works well with Premiere 10 except the monitor is frozen and the preview window has no picture? The audio is fine. I have also re installed it to see if it would correct the problem, it did not. I converted all of the video files to MPEG to maintain uncompressed quality for DVD. I tried the project setting to see if something needed changed.
I have looked at several videos on UTUBE and none have been able to address this issue for V10.
WendellFrye
New User
New User

Postby Peru » Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:39 pm

If NVIDIA graphics, make sure to use the Studio Driver and not the Game Driver.
Peru

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:40 pm

Also, what is the format, resolution and frame rate you're working with? Version 10 was limited in its ability to edit MP4s and HD video other than tape-based HDV.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 10