They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

A Color Matching Plug-in

Discussions about the plethora of Plugins, Titlers and any other third party video editor add-ons.

A Color Matching Plug-in

Postby RJ Johnston » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:19 am

I have recently been testing a color matching plug-in for Sony Vegas Pro called RE:Match, from revisionfx, and I was very impressed with the results. There are also versions for Premiere Pro and After Effects and a couple other editors.

I have lots of 3D stereoscopic video shot with two cameras and need a plug-in to make the colors of the left-eye video match the colors in the right-eye video as closely as possible. That's important for preventing eye strain and making the 3D effect stand out better. There is a Color Match plug-in in Sony Vegas Pro, but it doesn't match colors on a frame to frame basis and not as well as RE:Match. With the Color Match plug-in you need to split your clips when the scene changes and apply the Color Match plug-in to each clip. With the RE:Match plug-in, you have the option to automatically match each frame. You only need one plug-in on a track and all the clips on the track are taken care of by that one plug-in.

I noticed that the plug-in shows up in Sony Movie Studio 13, but some of the functionality is disabled because there isn't a Custom blending mode like there is in Sony Vegas Pro.

For After Effects and Premiere Pro versions, you can opt for the more expensive RE:Match edition that includes the RE:Stereo plug-in for fixing glares and other differences. Revisionfx does not have for sale a version for Sony Vegas Pro that includes the RE:Stereo plug-in, but the literature for the Sony Vegas version is confusing and may mislead you into thinking that the RE:Stereo plug-in is included when you buy the RE:Match plug-in. The RE:Stereo plug-in does show up in Vegas Pro, but it is a demo version and puts a big X through each frame.

If you are interested in a 30-day trial, you can go here to pick and download your version. You can create some interesting effects with this plug-in even if the frames are not of the same scene. There are various options. Possibly good for color grading.

http://www.revisionfx.com/products/rematch/downloads/

The less expensive version is $89 US.

My 7-day trial version of After Effects is up and didn't get to try RE:Match with it.
Dell XPS 8940 Intel 8-core 10th gen.-i7 10700K (3.8-5.1 GHz); 32GB DDR4 2933 MHz RAM; 512 GB SSD; 2 TB 7200 HD; BDRE-drive; NVIDIA(R) Geforce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8G8 GDDR6
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: A Color Matching Plug-in

Postby vkmast » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:52 am

RJ Johnston wrote:---I noticed that the plug-in shows up in Sony Movie Studio 13, but some of the functionality is disabled because there isn't a Custom blending mode like there is in Sony Vegas Pro.---

To clarify, are you referring to Movie Studio Platinum 13 or Movie Studio 13? The latter is too crippled to be of much use.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/504 ... P%2013.JPG
(The MS Platinum 13 window in 3 columns to show options.)
vkmast

Postby RJ Johnston » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:11 am

Hi vkmast,

The RE:Match plug-in showed up in Movie Studio Platinum 13 (64-bit). Hope that helps you.

Rob
Dell XPS 8940 Intel 8-core 10th gen.-i7 10700K (3.8-5.1 GHz); 32GB DDR4 2933 MHz RAM; 512 GB SSD; 2 TB 7200 HD; BDRE-drive; NVIDIA(R) Geforce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8G8 GDDR6
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby vkmast » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:28 am

Thanks RJ,

to clarify for others, I am referring to the Color Match plug-in in my previous post.
RJ was referring to RE:Match in the paragraph I quoted.
I should have read his post right earlier;)
Anyway, I still think the basic MS 13 should be avoided.
vkmast

Return to Plugins & Titlers