They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Track matte on a .mov file

Premiere Pro discussions.

Track matte on a .mov file

Postby Matthew Max » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:01 pm

How do I put the Track matte effect on a .mov file in Pro 5.5?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Matthew Max
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Track matte on a .mov file

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:34 pm

Hi Matthew, Have you used the Track Matte effect before? It is a tricky one. Doesn't matter what format the original asset is in, the effect is applied like any other effect to any clip(s) on the timeline. There are a couple of good tutorials here, based on Premiere Elements but the overall effect and the way it works is pretty much the same in Pro.

http://muvipix.com/products.php?searchp ... =0&btn.y=0
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Matthew Max » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:46 pm

Thanks, Chuck. Bob taught me how to use the effect. But I can't get it to work on this .mov file. The clip is 103 megs! Not quite 2 minutes long. A client sent it. Maybe size is the problem? The file occupies only a single track. And the track matte setting shows only Video 3 as an option.

Matthew Max
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:50 pm

The track matte requires multiple clips on multiple tracks.

1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:12 pm

...the track matte setting shows only Video 3 as an option.

That implies that you applied the Track Matte Key effect to the clip on video track 2. If the clip on video track 2 is the matte, you applied it to the wrong clip. If the clip on video track 2 is the video you want to be masked by the matte, you would need to place the matte on video track 3.

What do you have on video tracks 1, 2, and 3?

Size shouldn't be an issue. Neither should the source format.
Bob

Postby Matthew Max » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:19 am

Uhhh...Bob, your feedback rang my bell. I was apparently putting the effect on the matte. Silly me!

Thanks!!!!

Matthew Max
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bob » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:56 pm

You're very welcome, Matthew!

One more general comment. Because Track Matte Key introduces transparency into the clip it's applied to, you would normally use three video tracks. Track three would be the matte, track two would be the clip you want to apply the matte to, and track one would be the clip that would show through the transparent areas in the clip on track two. I can certainly think of situations where I wouldn't need or want a clip to show through the transparent areas and in those cases it's perfectly fine to use just two video tracks and place the matte on track two and the clip it's applied to on track one.
Bob

Postby Matthew Max » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:22 pm

What's an example of using three video tracks? I don't understand.

Matthew Max
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Peru » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:09 pm

Matthew Max wrote:What's an example of using three video tracks? I don't understand.

Track three would be the matte, track two would be the clip you want to apply the matte to, and track one would be the clip that would show through the transparent areas in the clip on track two.

To rephrase Bob:

Track three tells track two to "open a hole" on track two in the shape of the image on track three which will allow you to see through that hole what is on track one .

...or did I make that more confusing? :ha:
Peru

Postby Matthew Max » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:35 pm

Sounds like two tracks to me. That's what I do. Track matte is on video track 2. I thought that's how Bob taught me to do it a year and a half ago. I make a title slide with a shape that covers all but the shape's area on video track 1. It works for that purpose.

So I'm missing something here.

Matthew Max
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:32 pm

Bob wrote:Track three would be the matte, track two would be the clip you want to apply the matte to, and track one would be the clip that would show through the transparent areas in the clip on track two. I can certainly think of situations where I wouldn't need or want a clip to show through the transparent areas and in those cases it's perfectly fine to use just two video tracks and place the matte on track two and the clip it's applied to on track one.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:20 pm

Looks like I made things confusing. That wasn't my intent.

What you're doing is fine, Matthew. That's one of the two track uses.

You asked for an example using three video tracks. A very common use is the "Cops" effect where a person's face is obscured to make it unrecognizable. Video track 1 would contain the original in focus footage. Video track 2 would contain a copy of the original footage but with the mosaic effect or a blur effect applied to make the facial features unrecognizable. Unfortunately, this also makes everything unrecognizable. We need to keep just the blurred face and discard the rest. Place an oval shape large enough to cover the person's head on track 3 and align it over the face. Apply the Track Matte Key effect to the footage on track 2 using the oval on track 3 as the matte. Adjust the effect settings to keep the blurred face under the oval shape and make the rest of the blurred footage transparent. What you will end up with is a composite of the original in focus footage on track 1 overlaid by just the blurred face on track 2.
Bob

Postby Matthew Max » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:11 am

Fantastic. In fact, I have been wanting to know how that example is done, so I can do it.

I LOVE the help I get from my muvipix community!

Matthew Max
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Matthew Max » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:07 pm

Peru wrote:
Matthew Max wrote:What's an example of using three video tracks? I don't understand.
Peru, thanks for your answer way back when. It's very good, now that I can relate to it.

Track three would be the matte, track two would be the clip you want to apply the matte to, and track one would be the clip that would show through the transparent areas in the clip on track two.

To rephrase Bob:

Track three tells track two to "open a hole" on track two in the shape of the image on track three which will allow you to see through that hole what is on track one .

...or did I make that more confusing? :ha:

Matthew Max
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:54 am

Ron, is there an old premiere elements tutorial for blurring a face? I don't see a current one but an old one would be no different than in current versions.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Next

Return to Premiere Pro