They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

powerdirector 14 create disc advice on burner

"The Fastest Video Editing Software for Enthusiasts"

powerdirector 14 create disc advice on burner

Postby Justdaisy » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:58 am

HELP! I am a fairly new user of Power Director 14 and have produced several segments in MP4 1980-1280 format for burning. These segments total up to 2 and half hours. Each segment runs anywhere from 4 to 25 minutes.... i want to burn a disc to create a total movie (this is about my granddaughter). From research I know I need double layer 50gb 6x bd discs (research says verbatim is best?) but don't know the best external blu ray burner to buy that is compatible with PD14, Windows 10 on a Dell Inspiron. What do you all recommend? also, have read something about burner folders - do i burn each segment into a folder or just burn the entire 2.5 hours at one time. I have chapter markers before each segment to support the menu feature. help help - have purchased the book, but not sure it will give me advice on the best external burner to purchase.

thanks!
Justdaisy
New User
New User

Re: powerdirector 14 create disc advice on burner

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:25 pm

Welcome to Muvipix, Daisy.

How do you plan to play these movies? Are you planning to show them on a computer?

If you're trying to produce a DVD or BluRay that will play in a DVD or BluRay player, the method you're using won't work.

Do you have our book? If so, I can direct you to specific chapters. Otherwise, if you can let us know what your goals are, we can certainly offer specific advice.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Justdaisy » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:56 pm

I want to burn them to blu ray double layer discs....each segment was produced in powerdirector as an mp4 1920x1080. there are 14 segments, totaling 2.5 hours. i have purchased the book but wanted to get a head start on buying both the recordable discs and the external burner. what have i done wrong? do i have to reproduce each pd script again in another format. right now, as i said, i produced each .pds file as an mp4 and have them consolidated in a single project.

thanks for the reply, please get me smart! again, i purchased the book today from amazon but want to get ahead of the curve on buying the discs and the burner....this is a christmas present and i still have one more movie to produce so time is getting short!

Alison (Daisy)
Justdaisy
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:18 pm

Once again it comes down to how you want to play this video. Do you want to just play it on your computer or do you want to create a BluRay disc that can be played on a BluRay disc player?

And thanks for supporting the book, Alison!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Justdaisy » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:32 pm

i am sorry if i am not being clear - i want it on discs to play in a blu ray player....not a computer or you tube or anything like that....a normal blu ray disc to play in a player with menus, chapters, etc.

Alison
Justdaisy
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:28 am

If that's the case, you don't want to output MP4s and put them on a disc. You want to use PowerDirector's disc authoring system to create your BluRay discs.

To do that, click on the Create Disc tab at the top of the program. Chapter 15 of the book (Chapter 16 of the version 14 book) shows you how to create a Bluray disc.

You don't need to add chapters if you don't want to, but you can add as many movies as you want to a single disc. A standard BluRay disc can hold about two hours of video -- though you may be able to squeeze another 15 or 20 minutes in. So you may not need to use a dual-layer BluRay disc. As you add files, the program should indicate when you've got a full disc.

Meantime, while you're waiting for the book to arrive, check out our free 8-part PowerDirector Basic Training tutorials, which you'll find on the lower left side of this page. Part 8 deals with outputting video and creating discs.
http://muvipix.com/cpd14.php
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Justdaisy » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:01 am

YES, I am at the create disc stage - let me tell you exactly the sequence I have used to gt to this point;

1. imported videos from my phone for each powerdirector script that I have -I have 14 individual scripts.
2. Added music, transitions, custom particles, Pnps, etc. to each script.
3. 'Produced' each script using the PowerDirector 14 produce function into a consolidated MP4 output (with all the additions of music, transitions, PNPs, etc)
4. Then consolidated each of these powerdirector MP4 files into a single project.
5. It is at this point that I wanted to create the disc using powerdirector 14 create disc function.

I tried to buy the book earlier but the 14 version just became available...I did watch the tutorial on creating the disc.

So - still left with this question: what external burner should I buy to ensure I get 1080 definition when I create the disc - would like to buy in advance of your book getting here so I am ready to actually create the movie, using the Create Disc function.

Also - did I make any mistakes in the steps I outlined above?

Also - I thought the dual layer was required for full 1080 plus extra time on the discs. I definitely have over 2 hours of movie I need to produce.

thanks so much - just trying to get ahead of the curve before you book gets here to buy the right burner and to make sure the steps I have taken thus far are the correct ones. I I could send you a snap of my timeline that I want to create disc on, then maybe that would be helpful. I have spent months and months on this very special project and I dont want to screw it up on the last steps.

thanks for you guidance and expertise. book won't be here until 24 November. Alison
Justdaisy
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:26 am

A regular BluRay disc can hold about 120 minutes of full quality, high-quality BluRay footage -- though you may be able to squeeze a bit more on if you let the program reduce the quality a little. But that's up to you. A dual-layer disc isn't necessary for high-def video. It just give you twice as much space, as when you're trying to fit about four hours of video on a disc.

You really can't go wrong, in my opinion, buying a dual-layer BluRay burner. (Any experts out there are welcome to challenge that. ) Just make sure it's really a BluRay burner and not just a BluRay player/DVD burner.

Your workflow should work just fine, if you're looking to have all of your movies play one after another as if they're a single compilation. But, if you want to allow your viewer to view each movie separately, returning to the menu after each movie, you shouldn't gather all of those movies onto a single timeline, as it seems you've done.

If you want each movie to be accessed separately, you'll load each movie onto the Content panel in the Create Disc workspace.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Justdaisy » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:32 am

thanks so much......can you recommend a specific brand/model of dual layer blu ray burner? last question I promise until I get your book that is!
Justdaisy
New User
New User

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:54 am

I have an LG burner in my PC (so not stand alone) but I have never had any problems with it so I can suggest looking at LG if they do an external device.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Justdaisy » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:24 am

thanks was looking at the LG and a samsung...
Justdaisy
New User
New User

Postby Dave McElderry » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:07 pm

My Sony has served me well - internal, in drive bay of my computer.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Justdaisy » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:37 pm

it was hard to find an external dual burner drive compatible with windows 10. finally settled on the LG BE14NU40. I'll keep you all posted once I use it. Keep your fingers crossed.

Alison
Justdaisy
New User
New User

Postby Justdaisy » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:00 pm

Steve -(or anyone who wants to weigh in!) i finally received the book and have a few initial questions....

since I produced my videos that I need to output in the hvec mp4 format, instead of the AVC/M2TS format you say is best to use in another HD video, do I need to reproduce them? What is the impact of the format I used? And, if I should reproduce them, what is the difference between the 1080i versus 1080p.

Second question, can I burn the disc, after I have set up all the menu templates within Power Director, directly from Power Director or do i actually burn them in powerDVD?

Thanks

Alison
Justdaisy
New User
New User

Postby Bob » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:50 pm

You said in earlier posts that you wanted to burn Blu-Ray discs. Are you aware that most Blu-Ray players do not support hevc? HEVC mp4 is also known as H.265. It has been added to the Blu-Ray specification, but, it's a very recent change. Blu-Ray players capable of playing this format have only become available this year.

Power Director 14 can export H.265 files for playing on a PC or devices that support H.265, but I don't know if it can create H.265 Blu-Ray discs. Steve, is that even a capability?

I suspect that you will need to create a conventional H.264 Blu-Ray disc.
Bob

Next

Return to PowerDirector Series