They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

How can I save Title - Text for repeated use?

Premiere Pro discussions.

How can I save Title - Text for repeated use?

Postby _Paz_ » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:08 am

In PrePro CS6 I decided to create a small 'Title' text for copyright and website URL that I want to appear in the lower left corner through the entire content of my tutorials and saved it as an Mp4 file.

I thought I could use this over and over without having to create this text for every video segment. When I try to lengthen it to extend the full length of the video I reach the 'Trim Media Limit'. I've adjusted the limit in Preferences to the max allowed of 99. Not nearly enough.

How can I create this text info, and how should I save it for repeated, variable length use?

If it should be a .tiff Photoshop file, is there any way I can guarantee placement? Maybe a png file sized for 1080p with a transparent background? Would that be able to be extended indefinitely? Would it take hours to render every time?

thanks,

Paz
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: How can I save Title - Text for repeated use?

Postby momoffduty » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:32 am

Is the title static? In PrPro select the title in the Project panel. File>Export>Title. This will be saved as a .prtl file and will have transparency. The best option is to create a logo in PS. If the title is static then there is no reason to create a mp4 file. That would take a long render time.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:22 am

+1 for a Photoshop title/logo saved as a .psd
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Bob » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:05 am

The problem is that you created an mp4 instead of saving as a title. Video files have a fixed length. You can trim them shorter, but you cannot make them longer. When you get the Trim Media Limit message, it's telling you that you reached the end of the clip and you can't extend it further. You don't have that problem with titles or still images as they have do not have a fixed length and can be extended.

You can do as Cheryl suggested and save the title: " select the title in the Project panel. File>Export>Title. " To use the saved title in another project, import it into the new project.

Alternately, since you will be using this over and over, you can save it as a title template. After you create the title, while still in the title panel press ctrl+j (or click the templates button). In the templates dialog, click the Templates menu button (looks like an arrow in a circle). Choose Import Current Title As Template. Enter a name for the title template, and then click OK. That will save it as a template in the user templates section. To use it in another project, Choose Title > New Title > Based On Template. Then select the template from the list.

Of course, you can create a psd or png image file and use that instead if you wish.
Bob

Postby _Paz_ » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:21 am

Ooooooh! So many options! Thank you all! :-D

Of the above, which method would require the least rendering?

I'd like to have the line of text saved with a fade in; extend to needed length, then hopefully add fade out and only have to render the fade out segment.

thanks again,
Paz
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:52 am

I think a Photoshop PSD file is the best bet. It is easy to use and you can always go back and change things if your taste changes.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Bob » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:57 pm

I doubt it will make any significant difference. Premiere is pretty optimized in how it handles compositing/rendering. I would expect the title/image to be buffered in memory and composited with each frame of the video regardless of which way you choose.
Bob

Postby _Paz_ » Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:40 pm

I'm still playing around with this. Only a .png file will save transparency. I've added both photoshop based files and made a title template and ... I was so tired... if I remember correctly, everything required rendering once put in place, then extended to required length.

Eventually I created the text line and exported it as a +10 minute mp4 file without the fade in at either beginning or end. Right now I'm working on tips that are all less than 10 minutes. I expect tutorials to be under 30 minutes. When I get to one of those I'll see how it works to add the text line two or three times, then fade in the beginning of the first, cut to length and fade out the end of the last.

Hopefully the only rendering required will be for the fades - in-out. It can take my laptop over 15 minutes to render a simple thing like the text line when it is only 3 minutes long.

Thanks for all your explanations and suggestions!

Paz
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:32 pm

I would really recommend using a title or a photo instead of an mp4. You will need to render with either approach, but photos and titles are more efficient to process than video. If your computer is fast enough, you will be able to render on the fly by just pressing play and not need to actually generate preview files. If the computer has problems playing back smoothly, you'll need to actually do a render pass and generate the preview files.

If you've rendered the time line already and make a change (add a fade-in for example), the clip that is affected will need to be rendered again. You can minimize the amount of rendering needed by making a cut in the clip to minimize the amount affected by the change. Only the part with the fade will need to be rerendered.

PSD, PNG, and layered TIF files all support transparency. TIF files typically use the most space. PSD and PNG are typically smaller. PNG is generally the smallest file, but PSD is the most flexible as you can retain all your image structure and it's easy to edit and make changes.
Bob

Postby _Paz_ » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:35 pm

I would really recommend using a title or a photo instead of an mp4

The mp4 didn't work anyway. It imported with a black background. Lowering opacity in hopes of getting rid of the bg faded the text line right along with it and it all looked dark and drab.

You will need to render with either approach

<insert pout emoticon with streams of tears! :fg: />

I got out my PrePro books, a bright light and the magnifying glass and checked out the section on creating titles. One suggested making the title in Photoshop via PrePro. It looked like all the making titles then trying to adjust size, etc., wasn't going to be necessary!!!!! BUT Photoshop CS6 won't open. PrePro will only open Premiere Photoshop which I keep installed to check out things to help my students who use it.

It seems I remember that Photoshop had an area in preferences to determine which programs should be the defaults for files. I could not find any such pref for PrePro. Anyone know where to look?

thanks,

Paz
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:41 pm

Hi Paz,

I am pretty sure it will open the system default application for PSD files. Do you know where the default applications are changed?
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby _Paz_ » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:57 pm

:no:

I used to know. It's just another thing I put down to chemo brain. (Don't want to look at the most likely potential alternative!!!)

I checked Photoshop preferences but could not find it there either.
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:40 pm

Premiere Pro opens the program associated with the file suffix -- in this case, that's "PSD".

You can change the file association several ways, probably the easiest is to use the properties dialog. Using Windows Explorer, find any .PSD file and right click on it. Select Properties from the context menu. You'll get the properties dialog for that file. Select the general tab. Find the "Change" button and click it. You'll get an Open With dialog box where you can change the association. Here's what it looks like:

setAssociation.JPG

If Photoshop is listed in the Recommended Programs, select it and press ok. That will set the file association. If Photoshop is not listed, click the arrow on the other programs line and see if it's listed then. If it still isn't listed, click the browse button and browse to where photoshop is installed and select the program file.

It should open now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob

Postby _Paz_ » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:58 pm

That did it, Bob!

I've created the text line in PSCS6 and it saved with transparency without me having to do anything but delete the white layer I created so I could see the text against a background.

Now I've imported it into a tutorial, stretched to about a 3 minute length, added fade in/out, and it is rendering. Has been for about 15 minutes and still going.

I noticed PrePro said it was rendering the 'Preview' file. Do all preview files have to be rendered before exporting?
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:30 pm

When you render your timeline, you are creating the preview files.

Have you tried playing back the timeline without rendering? If your playback is smooth, you don't really need to render. You may be also able to avoid the need for rendering by reducing the playback resolution. This won't affect the quality of your exported video, but it will improve the playback performance in the monitor. The trade off is that at a lower resolution, you'll have more blocking and artifacts so it won't look as good. But, if your monitor panel is at the default size, you may not even notice the image degradation.
Bob

Next

Return to Premiere Pro