They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

avchd disc burn issues

Specific to Premiere Elements version 13

avchd disc burn issues

Postby videovillageidiot » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:35 pm

I finished a project that consists of AVCHD video clips. When i tried to burn the AVCHD disk, PRE13 showed a "no media present" message. Selecting plain DVD did not give the message. I am using PRE13 for the first time on my new DELL XPS-8700 with W-7 Pro.

I was able to create an ISO image and use ImgBurn to make the disk (this is the first time I've used that method). Once i was able to create the iso image, but PRE13 failed, once it worked, but i couldn't close out the ImgBurn program. Had to close using Task Manager. Another time the burn failed at 55% (resulting in a bad disk). Another time it burned but failed during verify (though that disk works fine). I'd really rather just burn the AVCHD disk thru PRE13!

When i created a folder, i ended up with a BDMV folder with several folders inside that, one of them being STREAM, which contains an AVCHD file (the actual finished movie). Note that i did not have any menu system in the project. Steve's tutorial for Imgburn only references VIDEO-TS folders...I'm missing something here. Last nite I found a post on an Adobe forum that said to burn the BDMV folder to a disk...when i tried that, ImgBurn popped up a message that says...

"your image contains a 'BDMV' folder in the root directory so I'm going to assume it's a Blu-Ray Video disc. Blu-Ray Video discs typically use the 'UDF' file system, not 'ISO9660 + UDF' as you have selected. Would you like me to adjust the setting for you?"

I have no idea what to do with that!

I'm sooooo confused by this...everything was better in PRE12 on my ancient DELL. Not sure if the problem is the program, the computer, the DVD drive or ME?!?!?!?!

And here's the other problem...when i'm selecting the burn options for AVCHD, do i select the preset of 1920 x 1080i or 1920 x 1080p? My project is 1920 x 1080 AVCHD 1080p.

I hope this info makes sense - I'm sure there's an answer out there - I'm just having a hard time pinpointing what i need. THANKS!!!
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: avchd disc burn issues

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:05 pm

Maybe it's time to upgrade to Windows 10! ;)

It's strange that, when you selected Publish & Share/Disc/AVCHD, your computer showed no media present, despite your having a DVD in the drive. That should work. Especially since it, when you selected the option to output a standard DVD, the program saw media was present in your drive. So I'm not sure what's up there. At least assuming that your AVCHD video was under, say, 20 minutes in length -- which is roughly was an AVCHD/DVD can hold.

I'm also assuming you do have a menu structure, right?

FWIW, I do cover how to burn a disc from both folders and an ISO file using ImgBurn in the Appendix chapter of our Muvipix.com Guide to Premiere Elements 13.

The process is very similar. When you burn a DVD from an ISO with ImgBurn, you select the option to Write Image File to Disc in ImgBurn then select the ISO file as your Source. If you did that, I'm not sure why you're getting that old message.

Can you confirm that all of this describes what you've done?

Meantime, I'd select the 1080p option for my BluRay output. (As you know, AVCHD discs are really just short BluRay discs burned to a DVD -- and are playable only on a BluRay player.)
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Re: avchd disc burn issues

Postby Bob » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:37 pm

When i created a folder, i ended up with a BDMV folder with several folders inside that

That's the correct format for AVCHD (and BluRay). The Video_TS structure is only used for standard definition DVDs.

...burn the BDMV folder to a disk...when i tried that, ImgBurn popped up a message that says...

"your image contains a 'BDMV' folder in the root directory so I'm going to assume it's a Blu-Ray Video disc. Blu-Ray Video discs typically use the 'UDF' file system, not 'ISO9660 + UDF' as you have selected. Would you like me to adjust the setting for you?"

AVCHD discs use the UDF 2.5 file system. If ImgBurn pops up that message, say "YES".

when i'm selecting the burn options for AVCHD, do i select the preset of 1920 x 1080i or 1920 x 1080p? My project is 1920 x 1080 AVCHD 1080p.

1080i is most compatible with the majority of Blu-Ray players. The original specification supported 1920x1080 at 29.97 fps interlaced, 25 fps interlaced, and 23.976 fps progressive. In 2011, support for 1920x1080 at 59.94 fps progressive was added to the specification. 30 fps (actually 29.97) progressive is not supported in the specification but may be played if frame doubling is allowed. If you have a recent player and output for 1920x1080p 60p (59.94), you should be ok.

I've never heard of ImgBurn having those kinds of problems. Possibly there is an issue with the burner or media.
Bob

Return to PRE Version 13