They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

McKinley Summit Flight

Show your stuff, whether it's in the local Gallery or offsite, get critiqued in here.

McKinley Summit Flight

Postby videovillageidiot » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:55 am

This is from my Alaska vacation last summer. I'm glad my arm was intact back then - the pilot's steep turns would have put painful pressure on it...and the glacier landing makes me wince!!!!

I hope you enjoy it - we had a blast!!!!

videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: McKinley Summit Flight

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:08 pm

Such spectacular footage, Sidd! I envy your video opportunities!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:50 pm

Thank you Steve, Unfortunately I did not shoot this beautiful piece of video. I am envious too. :)

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby momoffduty » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:35 pm

Wonderful footage! I watched in HD full screen from the Vimeo site. Not sure why HD was turned off in the embed here. Anyway, felt like you were in the plane. The landing was scary just watching the video. I liked how you timed the music with the landing.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:39 am

Wow, that look amazing. That was a propeller plane, I think that might scare me a little [-o<
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby videovillageidiot » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:41 pm

Sorry it takes so long for me to respond - i'm fairly long-winded and still one-handed - that's a bad combination for timely responses... ;)

Steve Grisetti wrote:Such spectacular footage, Sidd! I envy your video opportunities!

sidd finch wrote:Thank you Steve, Unfortunately I did not shoot this beautiful piece of video. I am envious too. :)
Sidd

It's an honor to be mistaken for Sidd!!! I'm glad you both enjoyed the video...it was an incredible opportunity...we originally booked a simple flight that went near McKinley; by booking the flight 2 months before our cruise we got the glacier landing added on for free. At flight time we were told the weather was turning bad and though, "pilots are finding holes in the clouds", we may get in the air but, ultimately, not land on the glacier or even get close to the mountain! We could cancel prior to takeoff and get a refund, but we had no other time in our schedule to try again.

Just then Paul Roderick, their director of operations (and big cheese pilot), walked in and wondered what was going on. The lady we were speaking with explained our dilemma. His solution was that we should go with him - on a summit flight!!!! This was a much better flight than we had booked and he let us switch at no extra charge! Paul is VERY skilled and has oodles of experience in Denali. It was a no-brainer...we went - and I even got to co-pilot!

momoffduty wrote:Wonderful footage! I watched in HD full screen from the Vimeo site. Not sure why HD was turned off in the embed here. Anyway, felt like you were in the plane. The landing was scary just watching the video. I liked how you timed the music with the landing.

Thanks Mom! I don't know why my stuff won't play in HD here. The landing was very hard and we continued to bounce around in ruts on the glacier 'til we stopped. Watching makes me cringe - couldn't possibly do that right now with the broken arm - riding in a car to the doctor hurts (don't know how i traveled over 1000 miles to get back home...yuck).
i got lucky with the music - once i coordinated it with the first big bump, the subsequent bumps seemed to work with the music as well...i was very pleased!

Chuck Engels wrote:Wow, that look amazing. That was a propeller plane, I think that might scare me a little [-o<

The plane was a DeHavilland Turbine Otter and we had to wear oxygen masks above a certain altitude (McKinley's summit is at 20,320 feet). What scared me was the seemingly very steep banks Paul flew! He was very busy during the entire flight - fortunately, as co-pilot, all i was told to do was "not touch anything; especially anything red"...haha

It was an awesome experience!!
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:06 am

videovillageidiot wrote:...fortunately, as co-pilot, all i was told to do was "not touch anything; especially anything red"...

:CS:
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Ron Hunter » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:55 am

Wow, that was beautiful! I may never get to fly over those mountains but thanks to your video, it felt like I was there. Absolutely breathtaking footage.

Towards the end of the video I wondered why the plane was losing altitude, and I realized those dots in the distance were planes on the snow. It was at that point I realized "Holy crap, they are going to land there!" You've got more guts than I do!!
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Laptop: MacBook Pro (retina), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5.
Cameras (in use): Panasonic GH4/Canon HFR400/Canon HV30, GoPro HD Hero2.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby videovillageidiot » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:51 pm

Ron Hunter wrote:Wow, that was beautiful! I may never get to fly over those mountains but thanks to your video, it felt like I was there. Absolutely breathtaking footage.

Thanks Ron - i have to say that i had the best seat in the plane with a front and side view...no wing strut in the way, either.

Ron Hunter wrote:Towards the end of the video I wondered why the plane was losing altitude, and I realized those dots in the distance were planes on the snow. It was at that point I realized "Holy crap, they are going to land there!" You've got more guts than I do!!

It was a rough landing, but very exciting - don't know if i'll ever get a chance like that again, but i'm sure i'd go! As for guts, I'll probably be posting the link to my zipline video shortly,,,you might enjoy that one, too. It's funny...i never came close to getting hurt on my Alaska trip and this year i broke my arm in 2 places doing practically nothing!! :conf:
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:34 pm

The pilots are pretty good. And thank goodness the plane started back up so you could get back. It looked pretty cold.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby videovillageidiot » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:30 pm

sidd finch wrote:The pilots are pretty good. And thank goodness the plane started back up so you could get back. It looked pretty cold.

Sidd

Funny you mention getting back...there's actually a cabin high above the Ruth Glacier that we could see while we were walking around. It was built by one of McKinley's famous pilots in the sixties and can be rented. I'd LOVE to stay there!. Here's a link... http://www.alaska.org/detail/don-sheldon-mountain-house (Lots of neat photos)

As for temps, it was chilly, but we were below the clouds. It can get fairly warm on a sunny day.

BTW, i want to make sure i give a shout-out to the fine folks we flew with. Talkeetna Air Taxi was not the flight service that Princess Cruiselines uses, but we had an excellent experience with them! Check the webcam on their site... http://www.talkeetnaair.com/web-cam If you go to their facebook page you'll see tons of gorgeous photos!
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:33 pm

Did you see the fossil of Godzilla stamped on the side of the mountain?

It's fun to watch in 3D, too. The video is good subject for 2D to 3D conversion because the motion is almost consistently in one direction.
Dell XPS 8940 Intel 8-core 10th gen.-i7 10700K (3.8-5.1 GHz); 32GB DDR4 2933 MHz RAM; 512 GB SSD; 2 TB 7200 HD; BDRE-drive; NVIDIA(R) Geforce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8G8 GDDR6
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Showcase