They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

What is the best and most efficient way of resizing a photo?

User discussion concerning all that's Photoshop Elements (all versions).

What is the best and most efficient way of resizing a photo?

Postby videovillageidiot » Sat May 02, 2015 1:25 am

Yeah, i know, here we go again on this favorite topic, but...

What is the best and most efficient method of resizing a photo for use in PRE?

A long time ago (in the page turn tutorial i think), Chuck showed a method of sizing an image to specific dimensions…he had a “template” photoshop project set to his desired pixel dimensions and then overlaid the album cover image onto it. He used the resize handles to line it up within the template. Is this a correct method of resizing my very large DSLR images to a manageable PRE size?

e.g. with method 1…I created a pse project that is 2200 x 1467 pixels (to keep the same ratio as my original 5184 x 3456 photo), overlaid my DSLR image, then tinkered with the resize handles and moved the photo around until the portion that I wanted was within the template’s dimensions (I hope that makes sense). This way I was able to crop out things I didn’t want and keep only the best part of the photo in the smaller 2200 x 1467 size. I saved the image under a new name.

OR do I use method 2…crop the image using the original photo ratio… go to image resize and set the dimensions to 2200 x 1467 and use bicubic sharper… save the smaller image under a new name

Both methods will result in an image that is 2200 x 1467 pixels and will fill the screen the same when placed on the PRE timeline, but is the one that was done using method 2 (resize command and bicubic sharper) going to be the better image?

I'm so sorry if this question has been asked before...i just can't seem to think this through...THANKS (again and again and again!) 8-[
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: What is the best and most efficient way of resizing a ph

Postby Francesco Carzedda » Sat May 02, 2015 5:39 am

I prefer "The Gimp" for photo editing: it resizes proportionally and crops easily.

But I would rely on your video editor for both actions.

I imagine that (as in other video editors):

- it isn't necessary to resize the image to import it,
- it is possible to resize the frame from 4:3 to 16:9 from a control box (usually a dropbox) and
- use zoom option to choose the 16:9 portion you want to edit.
Francesco Carzedda
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Peru » Sat May 02, 2015 7:17 am

Francesco,

I don't think you realize what the "page turns" mentioned are. They require the pages to be specific and exact sizes before importing into a project. See here for a complete description: http://muvipix.com/products.php?searchp ... =0&btn.y=0
Peru

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat May 02, 2015 9:17 am

I like the easy, most direct method.

Open the photo in Photoshop Elements. Go to the Image menu and select Resize/Image Size. Make sure Scale Styles, Constrain Proportions and Resample Image are checked. Type in the size (under Pixel Dimensions, in your case), then select Bicubic Sharper from the drop-down at the bottom of the panel and click OK.

And, of course, if you're trying to resize several photos at once, you can use Process Multiple Files, under the File menu.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Sat May 02, 2015 2:36 pm

Batch resizing is the normal way to go when you have a lot of images and don't need custom cropping. Your methods 1 and 2 are both acceptable when you want custom cropping.

Here's a variant of method 1 that you should try. Create a new file using the desired dimensions and then import the image you want to resize using the "Place" command. "Place" should be in the "File" menu. When you "Place" the DSLR image, it will be automatically added as a Smart Object and sized to fit with transformation handles to allow you to resize and reposition the image. Since it is a smart object, you can resize over and over without affecting the image quality. When you're happy with the size and position, click on the check mark to accept the changes and use Save As to rename and save the photo.
Bob

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sun May 03, 2015 12:59 am

My workflow for a page turn project:

For the page turns I have "clean" copies of both the left and the right hand pages. To size the image correctly to the page I open the appropriate "clean" page image in Photoshop, then open the image that I want on that page and import that image as a layer on top of the "clean" page.

I then use 'Transform, Scale' selecting aspect ratio lock etc. and then adjust the imported image layer to the required size. Save the combined page/imported image with 'Merge Layers' command.

Finished page with single layer now ready for use in the project. Use the 'Motion, Position, Scale Effect Controls to place the page on a video track above the Open Book Image/track and apply the 3D motion effect.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Peru » Sun May 03, 2015 8:38 am

Here is an old thread worth reading:
viewtopic.php?f=103&t=13345&hilit=page+turn
Peru

Postby Bob » Sun May 03, 2015 3:13 pm

Sherrin, you didn't mention a page turn project. Did I miss something? What is it you are trying to do?
Bob

Postby Peru » Sun May 03, 2015 5:31 pm

Bob wrote:Sherrin, you didn't mention a page turn project. Did I miss something? What is it you are trying to do?

A long time ago (in the page turn tutorial i think), Chuck showed a method of sizing an image to specific dimensions…he had a “template” photoshop project set to his desired pixel dimensions and then overlaid the album cover image onto it.

That was part of a page turn tutorial that Chuck created.
Peru

Postby videovillageidiot » Sun May 03, 2015 10:27 pm

Thanks everyone for your help! I think I need to clarify some things...

I am trying to resize my 5184 x 3456 DSLR images for use in a PRE 12 timeline. It used to be that i could place an image from my old DSLR on the timeline in its original size just to see how i liked it. if i wanted to keep it i could resize, but resizing each "potential" image beforehand is kind of a pain if i end up not using the resized version, in part because batch resizing does not allow for bicubic sharper. With my "beefier" Canon T5i, when i try to place the original image on the timeline PRE chokes up an error that the dimensions are too large. So much for my quick sampling of an image in the project.

As a result, i need to resize each image i may use. i have reviewed the beginning of Chuck's page turn tutorial to make sure i am clear on what he was doing. BTW, i'm not doing a page turn project (though this conversation has reminded me that i STILL intend to learn that some day! haha). Chuck created a new PSE project in the specific dimensions desired and dragged the original image onto the new project. He then manipulated the sizing handles of the original to make the image "fit".

This seemed like an easier method than the one Steve describes because it involves fewer steps...and sometimes when i use Steve's method, i forget to click bicubic sharper! :pull: Also, if i want to crop the image i have to make sure i use the photo ratio or i may get the image distorted when i resize it (is this correct? e.g. if i crop to a more square shape, doesn't it mess things up to then resize it to rectangular dimensions?)

Chuck's method allows me to place the entire photo into the smaller dimensions (by using the resize handles to "shrink" it until it fits) or move and resize the original within the confines of the smaller project until just the portion i want to keep is within the new project. i have been saving these as psd files, allowing me to go back in and move the "original photo" layer around again if i don't like how i "composed" the new, smaller version. i ultimately can save as a jpg image.

My biggest concern is for the quality of the resulting 2200 x 1467 image. are there quality pitfalls in one method that don't occur in the other?

ok...i know i haven't fully addressed what i'm trying to say, but i can't think of a better way right now, so i may have to sleep on it...but maybe this gives a better idea of my question. i still need to understand more of what Bob said about "placing" the original image. It seemed that when i tried that, as soon as i clicked ok i couldn't get another chance at composing the new image - i couldn't move the original image around anymore. Also, it "places" the photo within the dimension of the smaller project. If i only wanted a portion of the original photo, i would have to expand it before clicking OK and would that degrade the quality of the new, smaller version? Also, in the 2 methods i described in my original post, is one crop method better than the other...i.e. crop using the photo ratio before resizing (Steve's method) versus "cropping" by moving the original within the boundaries of the new defined-pixel project until i like what i see. And what if, to get only what i want in the new version, i have to expand the original image? Oh and i just thought of something...does it matter if the photo i drag onto the empty smaller project is not displayed at the same zoom level as the empty project? SO MANY QUESTIONS RUNNING AROUND IN MY BRAIN!!!

i hope my "clarifications" actually make sense!
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Kent Frost » Mon May 04, 2015 12:42 am

Not sure if this makes a difference or not, but my favorite batch processing software is irfanview. You tell it the folder of images you want to resize, then you tell it the folder you want to save the new resized files into when it processes them (to avoid overwriting your originals, of course). In the options, you simply tell it how many pixels you want the longest side of the images to be (whether horizontal or vertical - it auto detects the longest side). Just tell it 1920 if they're all horizontal images so that they're on par with HD resolution. As far as that bicubic sharpening setting goes, with this you simply tell it to "resample" the images upon resize and it looks identical to the original, just smaller. It's a powerful batch processing program, but it's got a lot of other features.

Oh, and it's free. :)

http://www.irfanview.com/
Dell Studio XPS 8100, Intel Core i7 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM, 64-Bit Win7. Camera gear: 2x Canon 550D's, 1x Canon EOS 6D body, Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 & 17-50mm f2.8, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 & 24-70mm f/2.8L, and two 420EX flashes.
Kent Frost

Postby Francesco Carzedda » Mon May 04, 2015 10:33 am

Sherrin,

if you like to try "Format factory" too,
which is also an excellent video converter
(it outputs high quality and light mp4 files in H264 codec from heavy mov clips, respecting fps),
here is a guide to resize multiple images with few clicks:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8QvHG4eojw[/youtube]

From 1:20 on the procedure.
Francesco Carzedda
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Francesco Carzedda » Mon May 04, 2015 12:08 pm

Peru wrote:I don't think you realize what the "page turns" mentioned are

Peru, it's true, I have tried to elaborate a generic answer.
Sherrin has mentioned "page turns", in facts.
This thread has become interesting because it involves both the questions.
Francesco Carzedda
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Mon May 04, 2015 2:35 pm

i still need to understand more of what Bob said about "placing" the original image. It seemed that when i tried that, as soon as i clicked ok i couldn't get another chance at composing the new image - i couldn't move the original image around anymore. Also, it "places" the photo within the dimension of the smaller project.

Sorry, I should have been more explicit.

Yes, "Place" places the photo within the dimensions of the smaller project. But, before you click ok, you have a chance to override the default scaling and select the portion of the photo you want placed. At the corners and the middle of each side are resizing handles that you can drag to resize the photo -- they are just like the ones you get with Free Transform. Don't use the ones on the sides as dragging those will distort the image. Instead drag the corners. Press and hold the shift key while you do this to prevent distortion and maintain the aspect ratio. If you drag the handles outside the dimensions of the photo you will enlarge the size of the photo that is placed and you can drag on the photo to reposition it. Press ok when you are satisfied with the placement and size. To resize or reposition the image after you press ok is also very simple. Select the layer the image is on in the layers palette. Then, use one of the Transform tools (e.g. Free Transform) and resize it as desired. Thanks to the magic of Smart Objects, each time you resize you are scaling from the original image. You aren't rescaling a scaled image so you won't be introducing additional degradation.
Bob

Postby Bob » Mon May 04, 2015 7:04 pm

I should point out that there is another effective method to crop and scale a photo to a specific dimension -- the crop tool. Open the photo you want to resize. Select the crop tool. In the options bar, select "No Restrictions" and enter the desired width and height in pixels (e.g. 2200 px and 1467 px). Click and drag over the part of the image you want to keep. After you release the mouse button, you will have a chance to fine tune the crop area. When you commit the crop, the cropped image will be resized to the dimensions specified.

Unlike the method using Place, this is a one time method. You need to start over if you want to try again. Be sure to use Save As and avoid overwriting your original photo.
Bob

Next

Return to Photoshop Elements