They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Card reader won't read some SD cards

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

Card reader won't read some SD cards

Postby Peru » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:10 am

Windows 7, internal all in one 3.5 inch card reader connected to a USB 3.0 port off the mobo.

It used to read all of my SD, SDHC, and SDXC cards without a problem. Now it will only read some cards.

It reads a 64GB card just fine, but won't read a 8GB or a 16GB card or an SD adapter with a 2GB micro SD in it, all cards which it has read previously with the same files as is now on it. The cards and adapter can be read on other computers with card readers.

I tried updating the drivers, uninstalling the drivers via device manager and restarting the computer. I also changed the properties from Quick Removal to Better Performance, but it did not help.

Do I have a bad card reader?
Peru

Re: Card reader won't read some SD cards

Postby _Paz_ » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:24 am

I don't know about your card reader.

I recently bought this card reader with the idea of taking it to the boat and leaving it there. It is so small and so fast I decided to keep it at home and took my older, slower one to the boat.

http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Super-Multi-Card-Reader-TS-RDF8K/dp/B0056TYRMW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427811699&sr=8-1&keywords=transcend+card+reader
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Peru » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:22 am

I may get one of those if I don't fix or replace the internal one, Paz. Thanks for the suggestion.
Peru

Postby sidd finch » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:47 am

Peru,

I have had that happen to me and I am not sure of the cause. But I have remedied it in the past but using the reader on another USB port (like swap with your mouse USB). I have also varied between trying to have the card swap between a USB 3.0 and a USB 2.0

I am sure Bob will diagnose the exact cause but my band-aide solution has worked in the past. :)

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Peru » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:22 pm

sidd finch wrote:Peru,

I have remedied it in the past but using the reader on another USB port (like swap with your mouse USB).

It's an internal card reader.
Peru

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:12 am

I had slightly different problems with my multi-format card reader. Secondary symptoms included Windows Explorer acting a little strangely and that USB ports wouldn't work - not all at once but ceasing to function one after another over a (longish) period of time.

A repair install of Windows solved those issues for me.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby momoffduty » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:27 am

I had this problem with Win XP. It would read the first card, but not the second time. A restart between cards did the trick.

I now have Win 7 and no problems. Like Patrice, I am using a Transcend USB 3 for transfers. Fast!
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Bob » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:30 am

It's really difficult to say what's causing the problem. It could be hardware or software. Internal card readers are basically USB devices. You could try running the Microsoft USB diagnostic/troubleshooter. That utility can recognize and correct many of the common USB software/configuration issues.

Do you see all the lettered drives that you normally see?

Is the slot that reads the 64GB card the same one that doesn't read the other cards? Or, are they using different slots?
Bob

Postby Peru » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:40 pm

Bob wrote:It's really difficult to say what's causing the problem. It could be hardware or software. Internal card readers are basically USB devices. You could try running the Microsoft USB diagnostic/troubleshooter. That utility can recognize and correct many of the common USB software/configuration issues.
I'll try that Bob, thanks.

Yes. When I double click the one with the sd card in it, it says something like "please insert a disc."

Is the slot that reads the 64GB card the same one that doesn't read the other cards? Or, are they using different slots?

Same slot.
Peru

Postby Bob » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:32 pm

Yes. When I double click the one with the sd card in it, it says something like "please insert a disc."

OK, that sounds more like a hardware problem. The system is communicating with the card reader and knows it's a removable storage device. But, it's not seeing the inserted SD card. The message you're getting when you double click to open the drive is normal when the reader is empty. Possibly the spring clips that touch the contacts on the SD card are flattened slightly so it's not making contact. It's not clear why the 64GB card works. I can't rule out the software entirely though.
Bob

Postby Peru » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:45 pm

I'm going to check the internal connections tonight. If that and the the software fix doesn't work, I'll try bending out the spring clips. If the clips are the problem, it will likely be a recurring problem, though, because that would mean that they've lost their temper.
Peru

Postby _Paz_ » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:08 pm

I understand. I lose my temper with my computer all the time! :angryfire:
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Peru » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:15 pm

_Paz_ wrote:I understand. I lose my temper with my computer all the time! :angryfire:

:CS:
Peru

Postby Peru » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:46 pm

I checked the connections. All OK.
I ran the MS Fixit. No problems found.
I got out the dental tools and contact burnisher. No change.

I guess I'll be considering my options for a new reader.
Peru

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:53 am

These multi-format card readers are not expensive I know but, as I posted above, when I had problems with mine a Windows repair install did the trick. Failing all else it may be worth a try(?).
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Next

Return to Computer Issues