They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Fade In and Fade Out of a Title - Problem

Specific to Premiere Elements version 13

Fade In and Fade Out of a Title - Problem

Postby Aeriallens » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:13 pm

Well, while I am working hard to understand things in another thread, I noticed another problem.

In a combined shape and text I created, "123 main Street" on a rounded rectangle (which by the way cannot seem to change the corner radius' like in Illustrator or other programs),if you have it selected and go to the effects menu there are little triangles to be clicked on for fade in and fade out. I have tried this repeatedly, and passing the CTI over that object always gives something like fade-in, then solid, then fade out, then back to solid, then finally fade out the second (or even third time)! It is like a roller coaster; the little slider is all over the place. I have reset, deleted and started over multiple times and get the same result - no simple fade in - then solid - then fade out, WHY is this so hard?! :conf:

And yes, I only do this once, while the shape and the text are both selected; not once for each object. Can find no instructions on this, even in the Adobe documentation.

So the question is, why is the Fx fade-in fade-out of an object acting like it has a mind of its own and going back and forth when that is NOT what I input?
Aeriallens
New User
New User

Re: Fade In and Fade Out of a Title - Problem

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:01 pm

It might be best to include screen captures of what you're describing, Aeriallens. I've used the toggles in the Applied Effects panel to apply a Fade In and Fade Out to my title and I'm not seeing any of the issues you've described.

Your fade ins and outs will be applied to the title clip as a whole -- not to the individual elements in the title.

Also, have you tried what you're describing in the Quick view or only in the Expert view? They do handle fades in and out differently.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Aeriallens » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:25 pm

Steve - Thanks again - the issue went away after rebooting the iMac and trying it again. I'm guessing there is a slight bug in the current version of Premiere Elements 13 (v 13.0) for MAC. On top of that (possible) bug, Premiere Elements 13 completely freezes with the little colorful spinning disk at times for no apparent reason though I have 16GB of RAM and the nVidia video 1GB chip; have to do the "command-alt-esc" force close thing at least once per long session.

Anyway, it seems to work now though I have no clear idea on how to work with the fade in fadeout buttons on your screen shot (Thank you for posting that; it is indeed the place I was speaking about). Maybe I have been spoiled by documentation of other programs, but I am amazed those fade features (in the screen shot you provided) are seemingly NOT covered anywhere at all in Adobe's user guide -- not even a single example or illustration of those very buttons. I DO now see these it in YOUR book, however, on pages 165 and 166. Question though -- here we go again -- is it supposed to work to click BOTH of those buttons to get BOTH fade in and then fade out. It seems to for me, though I am unsure of how I managed to accomplish this. I only want to be consistent, and get the same results each time identical steps are taken.

Can you provide a link to any video tutorial where someone is doing exactly what I am trying to do? That is, a text block is created, a background rectangle is made, then both are made to simply fade in and then fade out, in the easiest possible way?

Phil
Aeriallens
New User
New User

Postby Bob » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:35 pm

Question though -- here we go again -- is it supposed to work to click BOTH of those buttons to get BOTH fade in and then fade out.

Yes. The two buttons are independent. If you want both, you need to click both.
Bob

Postby Aeriallens » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:28 pm

Thanks, you guys. Much appreciated!
I will muddle through and your guidance has helped tremendously.
Aeriallens
New User
New User

Return to PRE Version 13