They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

hd 2 sd - best work flow?

Discussions on third party software for the final creation of DVD including Nero, Roxio, DVD Architect, Magix, Ulead, etc...

Re: hd 2 sd - best work flow?

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:19 am

Are you using the video from Camtasia/hd2sd directly in DVD Architect?

I recommend that you only provide DVD Architect DVD-ready MPEGs. You should load your raw footage into Vegas/Movie Studio and output your DVD-ready from there. That should resolve your out of sync problem.

Also, don't use third-party programs to downscale your raw footage. Use the Camtasia footage directly in Vegas/Movie Studio. It's much more versatile than DVD Architect.

Save DVD Architect for your finished, DVD-ready files only.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:00 pm

Steve, he has Premiere Elements 12 -- Not Vegas/movie studio.

Bill, Is the audio still in sync after step 2 -- it only goes out of sync in DVD Architect?

DVD Architect (DVDA) is most likely recompressing the video and audio. If it is, depending on how the source video and audio that are provided to DVDA are encoded, it's quite possible to get out of sync. As Steve points out, it's much better to provide a format to DVDA that's already in the right format so that DVDA doesn't need to recompress it. Premiere Elements has an Mpeg-2 option in Share that should work. You should be fine taking your scaled avi from step 2 and outputting it from Premiere Elements 12 in MPEG-2 format. Check that the audio is in sync before outputting to mpeg-2. If it's out of sync in the avi file, you have other issues.
Bob

Postby BillyB » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:07 pm

Thanks Steve and Bob,

Clarification:
  1. I started with PrE. I loaded avi files in various formats and resolutions but limited success image wise and none for audio sync.
  2. I decided to try a different dvd authoring tool and wound up with Sony Architect Studio. Architect Studio produced the best image to date via method explained in earlier post above but still no luck with audio sync, even with uncompressed avi.
  3. Audio is in sync in all versions of avi files before rendering to mpeg. The sync problem must occur during rendering.

Your advice makes sense and is consistent.

Next Step:
  1. Will install Sony Movie Studio
  2. Import avi into Movie Studio
  3. Render sd mpeg-2 and ac3 from Movie Studio
  4. Import mpeg and ac3 files into Architect Studio
  5. And burn dvd.

I appreciate the help and will let you know what happens.
BillyB
New User
New User

Postby BillyB » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:52 am

After all this effort, your help and days of work on my part looking into rendering workflows and codecs, more than I would've otherwise chosen to, it turns out the audio sync problem was on the timeline in my source project. Not that I was so careless that I didn't check this early on. I did, multiple times, but I didn't see it there. I suppose what became obvious on a large set top monitor was not so obvious on a smaller computer monitor. Not seeing it there, I assumed it had to do with the encoding.

For encoding, I wound up with a rather straightforward work flow. Render from Camtasia to avi at project specs using their default proprietary video codec and 48khz pcm audio. Then I rerendered in Sony Architect Studio to mpeg-2 and ac3.

There must be a lesson in this somewhere.

For what it's worth, I found that:
  • Importing into and rendering from Sony Movie Studio before importing into Architect was unnecessary and didn't add to the quality of the final product.
  • Sony Architect Studio rendered a somewhat better looking image than PreL.
  • The 3rd party open source workflow (Logarith -> hd2sd / avisynth -> virtualdub) didn't seem to make for any improvement and I abandoned it per Steve's suggestion above.

I have now been able to produce a DVD with acceptable quality. Thanks for all your help!

BillyB
BillyB
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:19 am

Great news, BillyB!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Previous