They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Workflow for External Audio Sync

"The Fastest Video Editing Software for Enthusiasts"

Workflow for External Audio Sync

Postby wussery » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:06 pm

I will be doing a video shoot with three audio sources. One of which will be recorded to my camera and the other two via a Tascam DR-60D. Can someone walk me through the workflow of syncing these three audio sources in PD 12? I will record the external audio as .wav files and the camera audio will be recorded the AVCHD track.
wussery
New User
New User

Re: Workflow for External Audio Sync

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:23 pm

Welcome to Muvipix, wussery!

What are your three audio sources? Are they three different recordings of the same event, or do you plan to mix audio from three different inputs (eg, drums on one recording, guitar on another, bass on another)? Are you trying to mix the three audio sources or just use the best one?

Once you have your final audio, it's not too hard to sync it up with your video in PowerDirector. In fact, it has an editing workspace for doing just that (assuming your camcorder recorded some form of the same audio)!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby wussery » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:53 pm

My plan is to have a wireless lavalier on the active speaker, a Rode NTG-2 shotgun mic on my rig and a Shure Dynamic mic next to the loud speakers to pick up sound from the DJ or anyone else who is using Hotel's mic's.

I'll be documenting a retirement ceremony.
wussery
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:14 pm

Are you saying you're going to have separate audios that don't share anything common? If so, you'll need to manually sync them since PowerDirector uses commonalities in audio clips to sync several audio and/or video sources.

There is no magic, automatic way to sync several separate audio sources to a video. That's why Hollywood movies use a clapper whenever they shoot a scene -- so that the audio clap can be synced up to the video of the clap.

Did you include some sort of audio/video cue so that you can line up all of the audio and video tracks?

If not, it's going to mean a lot of manual trial and error.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby wussery » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:29 pm

I have the event scheduled for this weekend. I plan on using the Tascam DR-60D's Slate (clapper) option which will input a tone that I hopefully can use to sync up in post. The audio should all be from the same set of events, but I'm sure there will be times when one audio source will be better than the other. What I'm not sure about is how many times I have to use the Slate option in order to insure that I can sync up all three audio sources.
wussery
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:15 am

Assuming all video and audio recorders will be running continuously, all you need is one good clap to set up your sync.

Then it's up to you to decide which audio source(s) you'll use as your main audio and which you'll mute.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby wussery » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:48 am

Thanks a lot Steve. This should be interesting.
wussery
New User
New User

Return to PowerDirector Series