They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Project setting for H.264, Linear PCM input

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 12.

Project setting for H.264, Linear PCM input

Postby Di Hansen » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:24 pm

Hello!

What PRE 12 project setting should I select when inputting H.264, Linear PCM video clips? Frame size: 1920 x 1080

Please advise. Thank you!
Di
Di Hansen

Re: Project setting for H.264, Linear PCM input

Postby Bob » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:37 pm

Is there something in particular you are having issues with???

Linear PCM is normally just called PCM. It's uncompressed audio same as wav. H.264 video (avchd/mp-4 avc) is normally recorded with AC-3 audio, which is compressed, but there are some cameras that record using PCM -- generally at a higher sampling rate. Audio CDs use a sampling rate of 44khz, DVDs typically use 48khz, Blu-ray is typically 48Khz also but the specification allows for higher sampling rates -- e.g. 98khz is not uncommon. Do you know what sampling rate your video is using?

Premiere (elements and pro) will automatically conform the audio to match whatever sampling rate you choose for your project. So, I would expect that you would be able to use a standard h.264 project preset that matches the video characteristics of your video. I don't have Premiere Elements 12, so I can't tell you any specific preset. Premiere Elements will match the project preset for you if it's the first clip dropped on the timeline. I don't know about the audio sampling rate though. The earlier versions of Premiere Elements that I used did not allow you to customize the project sampling rate. You can still edit the files, but the project might be limited to 48khz. Steve or one of the other Premiere Elements users may be able to tell you that. Premiere Pro definitely allows you to set the sequence properties to higher sampling rates.
Bob

Re: Project setting for H.264, Linear PCM input

Postby Di Hansen » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:56 pm

Bob wrote:Is there something in particular you are having issues with???

Linear PCM is normally just called PCM. It's uncompressed audio same as wav. H.264 video (avchd/mp-4 avc) is normally recorded with AC-3 audio, which is compressed, but there are some cameras that record using PCM -- generally at a higher sampling rate. Audio CDs use a sampling rate of 44khz, DVDs typically use 48khz, Blu-ray is typically 48Khz also but the specification allows for higher sampling rates -- e.g. 98khz is not uncommon. Do you know what sampling rate your video is using?

Premiere (elements and pro) will automatically conform the audio to match whatever sampling rate you choose for your project. So, I would expect that you would be able to use a standard h.264 project preset that matches the video characteristics of your video. I don't have Premiere Elements 12, so I can't tell you any specific preset. Premiere Elements will match the project preset for you if it's the first clip dropped on the timeline. I don't know about the audio sampling rate though. The earlier versions of Premiere Elements that I used did not allow you to customize the project sampling rate. You can still edit the files, but the project might be limited to 48khz. Steve or one of the other Premiere Elements users may be able to tell you that. Premiere Pro definitely allows you to set the sequence properties to higher sampling rates.

Thanks, Bob!

Re: sampling rate
No, I do not know the sampling rate of my client's video. I am less concerned about the audio settings.

Re: project preset
Thanks for the tip - I did not realize PRE will match the project preset if it's the first clip dropped on the timeline. I will try that. I was under the impression that the program defaulted to the settings of the most recent project used prior to the current project.

Grateful for your support & assistance. Have a great evening!
Di
Di Hansen

Return to PRE Version 12