They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Creating Flipping Pages Book

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 12.

Re: Creating Flipping Pages Book

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:12 am

I use three basic "images" when using the page turn. They are the complete open book, a left hand page and a right hand page. And, like Peru (Bob) I have so far only used photos.

In Photoshop I create each page using the 'blank' left or right hand page as a template and add the required image as a layer on top of that, using Transform>Scale etc. to size and position the image on the (LH/RH) 'page template. Then I import all of the completed book/page images into Premiere and build the page turning book on the timeline, open book image on track one, page images on tracks above.

Hope that makes sense. :conf:
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Peru » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:53 am

In order to make sure that the left and right pages line up perfectly, I sometimes put both the left and right pages on the transparent canvas, each in its own layer. When I import the file, I import them as layers.
The disadvantage of doing it this way is that if you make changes to a layer, you may have to import it again and replace the original, as Premiere sometimes won't recognize the file change.
Peru

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:06 am

Peru wrote:I sometimes put both the left and right pages on the transparent canvas.

I place them on the appropriate track directly above the 'open book track' and use the Motion properties to position/scale them. Then it is a simple matter of copying attributes to the next (LH or RH) page in the series. (Am I making sense here?)
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Peru » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:10 am

John 'twosheds' McDonald wrote:And, like Peru (Bob) I have so far only used photos.

One way to incorporate video in the page turn is to do a screen grab of the first frame of a clip and prepare it in Photoshop (or Elements) as a page. After you do the turn, place the video clip on the track above the page and use the motion properties to exactly cover the screen grab on the page. The video will then play on the page and you can slowly zoom it back out to full size.

The same technique can be used to place the video back down on the page before turning. Or, if it is a left hand page, just leave it playing on the page and do the next page turn to cover it.
Peru

Postby Bob » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:56 pm

Roscyn29,

I don't want to get you discouraged. This all sounds complicated, but actually page turn / flipping pages books can be relatively easy to make. Here's what a project timeline can look like. This one is done in Premiere Pro CS6 because that's what I have, but it will be the same basic layout in Premiere Elements or Premiere Pro. Click on the image to expand it to full size to read the text.

pageturn_layout.JPG

Some explanation is needed. First, the project is set up to pivot in the center of the frame. This eliminates the fiddling and uses just a Basic 3D effect to make the page turn. Second, each side of each page is a separate photo which I prepared in Photoshop in advance. The photos are the size of the full frame. The front side of the page is on the right side of the photo with the left edge on the center of the frame. The back side is on the left side of the photo with the right edge on the center of the frame. The photos were saved as PSD files with transparency so there would be no background to obscure anything. I did the same with the album cover.

I made the album pages smaller than the album cover. Consequently, I needed to place a copy of the cover underneath everything to prevent the top and bottom edge of the album from disappearing. Video track 1 has the left side image (the back side of the front cover). Video track 2 has the right side image (the front side of the rear cover). I also made a separate binding strip image for the album and placed the front and back on those two tracks as shown. If you don't use a binding strip and make the pages the same size as the album cover, you can eliminate tracks 1 and 2 altogether.

Each page will have a front side and a back side. As the page turns, you will see the front side at first and then the back side after it rotates ninety degrees. You will also see the pages underneath on the right and left side of the book. This behavior is replicated in video tracks 3, 4, and 5. Track 3 contains the right hand page that will be exposed as the page turns, track 4 contains the left hand side that will be covered up. and track 5 contains the front and back sides of the page that will be turning. If you read the clip names in the image, it should be clear how it's laid out.

Note that in track 5, the clip durations are half the length of clips in the lower tracks. Each page will be represented by a front image followed by the back image. Each front and back pair is handled the same way. The Basic 3D effect is applied to each and key frames are enabled for the swivel property. The front side of the page is key framed from 0 degrees at the beginning to 90 degrees at the end. The back side of the page is key framed from -90 degrees at the beginning to 0 degrees at the end.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob

Postby Peru » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:01 am

Bob wrote:Roscyn29,
This all sounds complicated, but actually page turn / flipping pages books can be relatively easy to make.

Nice explanation and example, Bob.

As you follow Bob's tutorial, just think of what happens when you physically turn a book. You are applying a "swivel" effect to the pages as you see the upcoming pages underneath the pages being turned and covering up the pages previously viewed.
Peru

Previous

Return to PRE Version 12