They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Creating Flipping Pages Book

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 12.

Creating Flipping Pages Book

Postby roscyn29 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:00 pm

In scrolling through various topics I read through some from 2009 detailing how users were able to make a flipping book utilizing still photos. As a older college student, who is not very technologically advanced, I accepted an assignment to edit 1 1/2 months of school video down to 10-12 minutes with zero experience and no teacher. These videos had some great closeups I freeze framed, even though I had no idea what to do with them. Became inspired after reading posts on flip books to create a yearbook of sorts. However it is now 2014, 5 years on, so there must be an easier way today than then. Couldn't find any new postings though. Anyone have any recent experience that would be willing to walk me through the process?

Also will a new version of PRE have an easier way to combine projects, such as be able to have two or more open at the same time? Currently very difficult to take clips already on timeline then add clips, such as interviews from other sources.

Thank you.
roscyn29
New User
New User

Re: Creating Flipping Pages Book

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:18 pm

Welcome to Muvipix?

Can you link us to an example on YouTube of what you're trying to achieve, ros?

When you say "flipping book", do you mean a video with transitions that look like turning pages -- or do you mean a slideshow or graphic format that you can flip through like pages in a book?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby roscyn29 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:37 pm

A video with transitions that look like turning pages.
roscyn29
New User
New User

Postby Peru » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:14 pm

:meet:
Welcome!

See these tutorials:
http://muvipix.com/products.php?searchp ... =0&btn.y=0

Pre Elements only allows one project open at a time.
Peru

Postby roscyn29 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:25 pm

Thank you for the tutorial link.

Hoping the next version will allow more than one project open at one time, or the ability to place separate projects on different timelines to use the drag and drop method. Once my project was completed my professor asked me to find clips containing student comments, but being inexperienced at this I made it a new project. In addition more interviews were done, by another student, also a new project. Then we realized it was going to be a difficult process to integrate all of these pieces. Part of the learning process.
roscyn29
New User
New User

Postby roscyn29 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:54 pm

Enjoyed the first tutorial on how to create a photo album with transitions simulating turning pages. Not seeing the Part 2 referenced at the end. Is Part 1 free while the rest are subscriber access only? If this is the case at what level of subscription are these tutorials available to download?
roscyn29
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:14 pm

We offer both a two month basic and a 12-month full-featured subscriptions, Ros. You can find out more on our home page http://Muvipix.com.

Here is the complete set of page turn tutorials.
http://muvipix.com/products.php?searchp ... =0&btn.y=0

It's not likely you'll see multiple or embedded timelines in Premiere Elements. That's one of those features that only appears in professional editing programs.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby roscyn29 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:55 pm

Overnight Premiere Pro CC was downloaded onto our college media center computer. Are the tutorials for creating a Flipping pages book the same as PRE 12? Does subscribing to the lowest level of 2 month basic, the $19.99 version allow downloading of the corresponding tutorials?
roscyn29
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:21 pm

Yes, you can download the tutorials with the basic learning membership, Ros. I can't guarantee that the lessons will apply literally to Premiere Pro. But the principles should be the same.

Any Premiere Pro users out there care to comment?
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Peru » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:02 pm

I can't speak for CC, but CS5.5 will work nearly the same. You shouldn't have much trouble. If you can't find a setting or two, just ask and somebody here can find an answer for you.
Peru

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:22 pm

Peru wrote:I can't speak for CC, but CS5.5 will work nearly the same.

Ditto for CS6. The page turn is something that I have used a lot.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Bob » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:03 am

The user interface will be different in Premiere Pro CC vs Premiere Elements 12, but the basic principles for how you do things is very similar and you should be able to leverage your experience with Premiere Elements to learn Premiere Pro. Of course, Premiere Pro will offer a lot more capability then Elements and, being a professional level tool, will not have the primarily consumer oriented features.

On the plus side, Premiere Pro CC does support multiple timelines in the same project -- something you were asking for. Premiere Pro calls them sequences rather than timelines, but they are essentially the same thing. You can also import a timeline from another project -- including some from Premiere Elements. I don't know whether Premiere Elements 12 projects can be imported, you'll need to test that, but I have been able to import Premiere Elements 7 projects into a Premiere Pro CS6 project with no problems provided the Premiere Elements project did not use plugins not included in Pro.

The page turn tutorials linked to above can be adapted for use in Premiere Pro fairly easily. But, they aren't the best way to do the process in Premiere Pro. The fundamental issue is that the Basic 3D effect that is used to swivel the pages does not have any way to change the anchor point (the location around which the swivel will occur). If the pivot point is not centered in the frame, you won't be able to keep things lined up and you will be forced to fiddle with the position keyframes and also keyframe the scaling of the page using the transform effect to line things up as shown in the tutorial. On the other hand, if you make the project frame wide enough to center the pivot point in the frame, you only have to keyframe the Basic 3D Swivel parameter -- this is much easier.

Premiere Pro has the exact same issue with the Basic 3D effect -- it works identically to the one in Premiere Elements. The difference is that Premiere Pro supports multiple sequences. In Premiere Elements, you could set the project up to do a double spread that shows both left and right pages with the pivot centered in the frame. But, if you don't want a double spread you would need to export the double spread project to a file then import the file into another project in order to reposition and crop the video to get the single page version. In premiere Pro, all you would need to do is create a new sequence with the frame size you want for your final video and then add the double spread sequence and adjust the position and scaling as needed. Premiere Pro doesn't need to render out the intermediate video and is smart enough to not render the portions outside of the visible frame.
Bob

Postby Peru » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:16 am

Bob wrote:The fundamental issue is that the Basic 3D effect that is used to swivel the pages does not have any way to change the anchor point (the location around which the swivel will occur). If the pivot point is not centered in the frame, you won't be able to keep things lined up and you will be forced to fiddle with the position keyframes and also keyframe the scaling of the page using the transform effect to line things up as shown in the tutorial. On the other hand, if you make the project frame wide enough to center the pivot point in the frame, you only have to keyframe the Basic 3D Swivel parameter -- this is much easier.

The page turns that I use are mostly on stills, rather than video, so I prepare my stills in Photoshop (or Photoshop Elements) so that the transparent canvas is twice as wide as the still and adjust it to either the extreme left or right, depending upon which side of the "book" the page is.
Peru

Postby Bob » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:19 pm

Peru makes an important point. Since the Basic 3D effect always pivots in the middle, if you apply it directly to the still you need to prep it so the pivot edge is in the middle. What Peru does takes care of that nicely. Alternately, you can create a double wide sequence for each page. Each individual page sequence would contain the images for that page aligned appropriately about the pivot point -- no special prep necessary. Build your double wide master sequence using those page sequences and apply the Basic 3D effects to the individual page sequences there. You can easily build quite complex page layouts that way.

What type of page turn layout are you considering using?
Bob

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:37 pm

Your terrific points make me wonder if it's time we update this terrific tutorial -- particularly since it's for an older version of Premiere Elements.

I'll put updating on our list of tutorials to work on this fall.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Next

Return to PRE Version 12