They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Organizer

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 12.

Organizer

Postby Walter Seaton » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:40 pm

I have recently upgraded from Elements "8" to "12" and am working my way through Steve's excellent book on "12". I have all my still photographs on an external drive and have attached some of them to Organizer. I have discovered that even when that external drive is turned off the thumbnails of the attached images remain in Organizer. What concerns me about this is the hard drive space these thumbnails may take up. They do not appear to be true duplicates (e.g. not as sharp when magnified). Where are these extra images stored and do they take up as much space as the originals?
3.70 gigahertz Intel 6-Core i7-8700K; Windows10PRO 64 bit; Board: ROG STRIX Z370-G ; 16MB RAM; Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX1050Ti ; 2 ViewSonic VP2365 Monitors; 2 internal SSDs 1TB each; 3 HDs: 2x2TB and 1x3TB; Camera Panasonic PV-DV953D; Sound Files .wav.
Walter Seaton
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Organizer

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:23 pm

The thumbnails don't take up much space at all, Walter. They're not duplicates of the actual files -- just data about the files.

Even a large Organizer catalog only takes up a few hundred megs of space on your hard drive. Hardly worth being concerned about.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Re: Organizer

Postby Bob » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:54 am

The Organizer builds thumbnails for each image in the catalog and stores them in the Thumbnail Cache which is part of the Organizer's catalog. They are not copies of the images and they are not separate files. Accordingly, they take up far less space than the original image files. The Thumbnail Cache is physically located in the same folder as the other files that collectively make up the catalog.
Bob

Return to PRE Version 12