They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Need an opinion on a new laptop..

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

Re: Need an opinion on a new laptop..

Postby _Paz_ » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:26 am

We have had three laptops, Buddy. An IBM Thinkpad, a Lenovo Thinkpad and an inexpensive Lenovo for Mr. B.

The Thinkpads are great for anyone who is a touch typist. The keyboard has a tactile feel that rivals one of the ancient Selectric typewriters. For me, that alone is enough.

Screen quality is good on all three. My IBM had an IPS monitor. I really miss that even though my current RGB LED monitor has higher definition.

Mr. B's inexpensive model is nice. I prefer it in many ways to the HP laptop my sister has. Both of theirs have operating systems I don't care for. Vista on hers, Windows 8 with the blasted charms bar on his. I've done the update on Win 8 and set it up to NOT have the charms bar but the blasted thing pops up occasionally anyway and well, let's just say that his patience level isn't entirely compatible with computers in the first place. OTOH, his Win 8 can 'see' RAW files without having to use a special viewer such as Bridge. I do like that. His color balance is good and it has never been calibrated.

So yes, I'd buy Lenovo again if I needed another laptop.

My son recently bought a Mac, his first. He is very enthusiastic about it. Says it is easier to use than any of the PCs he has had through the years.

I know he has purchased a video editing program for it, maybe Final Cut Pro? , but if I remember correctly, it came with a video editing program that he was able to use to put a video together within two or three days of bringing it home.
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby _Paz_ » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:45 pm

More thoughts about Lenovo...

My current laptop, the W701, was 'gently' used when I bought it. It was also still pretty expensive. The original owner had purchased an extended warranty and that transferred to me. I wouldn't have paid as high a price for used equipment if it had not.

A few months before the warranty ran out I had some problems and Lenovo paid for shipping both ways, next day air via UPS. I think it was a keyboard issue.

Then just before the original extended warranty ran out, Lenovo allowed me to extend the warranty for another couple of years. I've since had the connection where the power cord goes into the motherboard wear out from repeated picking it up and putting it down. They replaced the motherboard, speakers, keyboard again.

Service was courteous, polite, and American. I still have a good bit of time left on my own version of the extended warranty. If they will allow me to upgrade that warranty for a 3rd time, I'll probably do it.
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby BuddyB » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:31 am

Dave, I considered what you said about ASUS, and did a lot of research with that in mind. I did wind up buying the ASUS laptop from Computer Upgrade King. They have a three year warranty in addition to the standard 1 year mfg. warranty. I've dealt with customer tech support at both, and at this point I'm impressed. The machine appears to be rock solid. I gambled on Win8, and as I've gotten it upgraded to 8.1 it cooks, another and, I love 8.1. I have 7/64 on this machine and will go for the 8.1 upgrade. I'm so sorry you had such a bad experience, and totally understand the "I'll never buy from them again," because I have a few of those myself. It is not a pleasant feeling when one spends good, hard earned money only to have it fall apart. I've had nothing but good fortune with my desktops, always with ASUS Mbs and AMD processors. This laptop is i7 with 2.4Gh processor. I have 7/64, 3.2Gh processor with 4 core and her computer is faster than mine. Mine is not slow, but hers is Speedy Gonzales. I have my fingers crossed I will not experience the debacle you did with yours. I am most appreciative of your input, as I am with everyone's. :)
"Wichitaito-Everything is Everything"
ASUS M4A88T-M mb-AthlonII X 3 455 1.5 Cache-8GB DDR3-1600-PC3-12800(2X4GB Dual Channel)-1TB SATA3 6gb/sec 7200rpm(64MB Cache) Win10 64Bit-Sony Movie Studio Suite 13-XaraX photo/Art/Web Adobe Cloud.
BuddyB
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Dave McElderry » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:03 am

Congratulations on your new purchase Buddy! I appreciate your comments, and hearing about your decision and experience with ASUS customer service. I wish you all the best. :gl: ASUS has been in the motherboard business for a long time, with a very good reputation there. And my experience re the laptop was probably close to 5 years ago, so maybe they've improved their products and their customer service. I hope so, and if you have reason to contact their support in the future I hope you'll share that with us. Of course I can only relate my own experience, and would have felt that I was doing you a disservice if I didn't pass that along.

As for Windows 8.1, I think it's a solid OS but I'm in the camp that doesn't care for the interface. I've been reading that Windows 9 is slated for release around April of next year and it sounds like Microsoft has assented to an interface compromise that brings back the Start menu. It looks like it's going to contain elements of both the old Start menu and the Metro design. From what I've seen I think I can live with it. And there's even talk that they may take the Apple approach and make it available at no cost. That would be interesting.

Here's a leaked screenshot that came from PC World. You might note that it says Windows 8.1 in the bottom right corner, but it sounds like they've decided to introduce it in Win 9.

Win-9-Start-Menu.png

Windows 9 will also change its looks depending on the device that it's installed on, and how it's being used on that device. Again, it should be interesting.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby BuddyB » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:22 am

Thanks for the rapid response. The one thing I really like about 8, and maybe only us Geeks need or appreciate, is the arrow bottom left that takes you to the apps screen..that I really like. I love the potential interface shown on upcoming 9. That way I can use my all-time screen background taken from WinXP, modified because it was not 1920X1080, and use it. The Start menu on 9 I love and I hope that the right hand side is manipulatable. I can see that as useful. Kind of you to include that graphic.
ASUS M4A88T-M mb-AthlonII X 3 455 1.5 Cache-8GB DDR3-1600-PC3-12800(2X4GB Dual Channel)-1TB SATA3 6gb/sec 7200rpm(64MB Cache) Win10 64Bit-Sony Movie Studio Suite 13-XaraX photo/Art/Web Adobe Cloud.
BuddyB
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Dave McElderry » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:30 am

Yes, I would certainly hope that you can customize that right side to meet your preferences.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:25 am

Sorry, but I just do not like the Win 8 Fisher Price tiles. :(
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby BuddyB » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:00 am

:mrgreen: I guess I'm going through my second childhood because it doesn't matter to me as long as it works and is efficient. I love my desktop screen on 7/64 because I find it relaxing, so if they do a combo in upcoming 9 I will like that even better. Of course if they have the disaster with it they did in releasing 8 I will hold off for the first upgrade. I can understand why most haven't liked it, but if Mama is happy everybody is happy..eh>
BuddyB
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby BuddyB » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:29 pm

More thoughts Paz. I'm sure Lenovo is a great device, but I'm not as familiar with them as ASUS, and I paid way too much money, but my "baby" deserves the best. She didn't want a Mac. My daughter has a Mac, loves it, and it is fast. My thoughts on that: It's the best there is, but expensive software, and the price on the device is no slouch either. I personally could go Mac very easily, but with the software I'd want I just can't spring. I've heard good things about Lenovo from other people, but for me personally I want a desktop; for the moment Win7/64 suits me just fine.
BuddyB
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:43 pm

BuddyB wrote:... it doesn't matter to me as long as it works and is efficient.

Too true, Buddy. Just my personal opinion. I really do not like the Win 8 interface. What was so wrong with icons that we had to have tiles?
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby BuddyB » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:35 pm

You're absolutely right John. I love my 7/64, plus I stumbled around a lot trying to find things like the Control Panel, etc. that help to maintain the machine. Once I got past that even the cartoon innerface didn't bother me. It makes me think of "Strawberry Shortcake" which is required viewing constantly when our great grandaughter comes for a weekend. That can drive you nuts, then I just retreat to you-know-where. Plus ASUS includes some special keys on the keyboard that make things a bit easier.
BuddyB
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Previous

Return to Computer Issues