They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

fustrated - stills and video pixelated

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 12.

fustrated - stills and video pixelated

Postby k2np818 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:41 am

I have a lot of stills and video together
I can not figure out why the DVD I make comes out with the still pixelated.

does anybody have any suggestions/?

I am at a loss.

Ken
k2np818

Re: fustrated - stills and video pixelated

Postby Peru » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:48 pm

What is the pixel size of the stills?
What is the project settings?
Have you scaled them up or down?
Peru

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:25 pm

Also remember that DVDs are only 720x480 pixels of resolution. And that's no matter how high the resolution of your original video or photos.

Can you post a screen capture of your DVD's quality sized to 640x480 to this forum? Chances if you compare it to a 640x480 screen capture of your original video or photo, you won't see much difference.

I've attached an example of a high-def video video, scaled to 480 pixels tall, alongside a screen capture of the output DVD video, also scaled to 480 pixels tall.

As you can see, when viewed at the same size, there is little to no difference in quality.

Where you see breakup is commonly when you try to watch your DVD at full screen on a 1920x1080 computer monitor.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby k2np818 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:38 pm

ok I have a few screen shots of my project settings.....

the DVD has many pictures of various sizes... small to 3-4meg mostly jpgs.
the video within the DVD come out fine.
it is the stills that are pixelated.

see attached.

Also in the attached is a screen shot of one of my issues.
as you can see the pic is not clear nor is the text .
this is the main menu of my DVD.
I was expected crisp clear picture to be displayed.

I am trying to cross one bridge at time.
Hopefully the solve for this will also solve the other issues.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
k2np818

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:17 pm

Is it possible to save your screen capture as a JPG rather than a Word doc, k?

Word has a way of ugly-fying pictures, so I want to be sure that I'm seeing what I'm seeing.

Also, the only picture I see in the document you attached is the one you're using as a menu background.

If that's the picture you're concerned with, you really shouldn't judge the quality of the finished piece based on what you're seeing in the DVD Adjustments workspace. That's going to be a low-quality preview and not a good representation of how it will look when you output your DVD.

Try outputting your DVD files (Use the Burn to Folder option if you won't want to waste a disc) and open the menu in it using a program like the excellent VLC Media Player. Send me a screen shot of its playback so I can see if there are quality issues.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:10 am

the DVD has many pictures of various sizes... small to 3-4meg mostly jpgs.

Those figures are the size of the file as saved on your computer. We need to know the dimensions of the photo. When you look at the properties of the photo in Windows Explorer, click on the "details" tab instead of the "general" tab. The details tab will list the horizontal and vertical dimensions.
Bob

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:11 am

Steve Grisetti wrote:...Try outputting your DVD files (Use the Burn to Folder option if you won't want to waste a disc)...

...or use a re-writable DVD. That way you do not waste a disc and you can "test run" the DVD on a DVD player/TV before you go into final DVD production.

If the "test run" DVD is OK then you can either just use DVD copy software of your choice to create extra copies or go back to the original DVD creation process and make the copies there.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby k2np818 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:20 pm

K.. have a screen sot of the DVD and screen shots of the file dems in the attached file.
k2np818

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:03 pm

Is it at all possible to save your screen captures as JPGs, K? As I said above, it's impossible to see any quality issues when you post them in a Word doc.

And, again, please ensure that you're captured video is from VLC Player (not Windows Media Player) and that it is saved to a 480 pixel high photo file.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby k2np818 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:43 am

Sorry about the delay in responding... other higher priority stuff had to get done.
anyway...

not sure I understand the comment 480 .. are you stating I need to recreate the project under 480?

the only way I could think of capturing the issue was to take a picture it playing on my TV
so see the attached jpeg
k2np818

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:48 am

Off the top of the head thought but it looks to me that you might (strong emphasis on MIGHT) have loaded the thumbnail to the timeline and not the original pic(?).
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:57 pm

How did you take this screen capture and what software and/or hardware are you playing the DVD on?

I'm going to experiment with the same template and see if I get similar results.

EDIT
Below is the result of my experiment. I loaded a 1000x750 photo into the drop zone of the wedding Movie Menu, output it as a DVD and played it on my computer with VLC Media Player.

The result? Blotchier than I'd like -- though not quite as bad as k's. (Though, in fairness, k zoomed way in on the photo, so it's not being seen within its 640x480 context.)

The text in the menu is also a bit fuzzy, but that could be an interlacing issue and would likely not be an issue if this were played on a TV rather than on my computer.

Anybody else got any thoughts?
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby k2np818 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:07 pm

the picture was a downloaded from the file to the software. direct copy from "file" on my pictures only drive. was not a thumbnail.

I took a picture with my camera. The DVD was up on the screen playing ... sat in front of it and took the picture.. no zooming or anything.. attached the file as it was taken right from the sandisk
played it on my Samsung DVD player. to my Samsung TV.
k2np818

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:28 am

I'm not sure what you mean by "no zooming or anything." The screen capture I posted above is 855x480 pixels -- actual size of the video file. Your screen capture are much larger or you've zoomed in to the menu, which may explain some of the blotching you're seeing. (In fact, you've got it blown out to 4272x2848 pixels -- about 36 times DVD resolution!)

You also don't say if you are playing your DVD on VLC Media Player or on some other software, but that too is significant.

Below is your screen capture resized to something more like DVD resolution. While it still has some issues, it doesn't look nearly as bad. (How DID you capture this image from your screen? It almost looks like it was taken with a still camera rather than screen capture software.)
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:14 am

I have tried to replicate this problem but have been unable to do so. Here's what I did.

Selected a photo with very fine detail and reduced its size from 3264 x 2445 to 1000 x 750. Saved it as a .jpg.
Imported that .jpg into an SD blank menu template. Using a re-writable I created a test DVD with that as the menu page.
Played it using Windows Media Player on a laptop that is connected to my 46" HD TV so it was upscaled.
At normal viewing distance it looked perfectly fine, no pixelation.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Next

Return to PRE Version 12