They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Image goes blotched when moved to timeline

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 12.

Image goes blotched when moved to timeline

Postby mikecox » Sat May 31, 2014 10:56 am

This is an all too common problem and I have never been able to figure out what makes it happen. In this case it's a jpg but usually it's a video clip; which is more problematic.

It looks good in the preview window; as you can see, but when I move it to the timeline it's go's all blotchy. Rendering it doesn't help. Removing it and adding it back doesn't help either.
Michael :cool:
Pr Pro, Ps and Lr CC, Canon Cameras: 60D and 70D
WIN10 Pro, Surface Book,
i7-6600U CPU@2.6GHz 2.81, 16GB RAM,475 GB SSD, 211 Free
Intel HD Graphics 520, NVIDIA GeForce GPU
mikecox
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Image goes blotched when moved to timeline

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat May 31, 2014 12:17 pm

It may be a problem with your graphics card or an outdated driver. Most likely it only appears blotchy. The clip or photo itself isn't being corrupted.

The test would be to output a test video from your project using Publish & Share/Computer/AVCHD with the YouTube SD preset and see if the clip still looks blotchy on the output.

Most likely it won't.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby mikecox » Sat May 31, 2014 10:18 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:It may be a problem with your graphics card or an outdated driver. Most likely it only appears blotchy. The clip or photo itself isn't being corrupted.

The test would be to output a test video from your project using Publish & Share/Computer/AVCHD with the YouTube SD preset and see if the clip still looks blotchy on the output.

Most likely it won't.
It seemed to auto correct. I was so busy tweaking key frames that I kind of forgot about it, then realized it wasn't looking blotchy any more.

I later made a DVD and the entire video looked much better than it looked on the monitor. I'm beginning to see that what you see during editing looks much better when published.

I've discovered Bezier key frames. I spent all afternoon replacing all my linear key frames with Bezier key frames and was impressed with the very professional looking results!

I am about to finish my first "production"; which is the first day of a 15 day cruise I took a 95 year old friend; whose like a mother to me, on. I plan on posting it to the cloud; I will put a link to it here.

btw, I ordered some Blu-ray DVD's today. I'm curious to see how they play on my finicky Blu-ray player. I was amazed to see how much more capacity they have; 25 GB VS 4.5!
WIN10 Pro, Surface Book,
mikecox
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby mikecox » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:35 am

Steve Grisetti wrote:
The test would be to output a test video
And that did seem to work, but yesterday this was happening on a clip and I couldn't work with it; I couldn't bring an image in from a specific location in the clip; it was just so blotchy and the image under it was showing through.

I re-edited the image in Ps but it didn't matter what I did to it, I got the same results. Here's the weird part; I had 3 images in this section ; one of them worked fine, but the "cabin diagram" and two of the three above that clip did this!

Finally, I started saving the clips in different formats; TIFF, BMP, GIF, and jpg 2000. When I pulled them into my project the TIFF and BMP images worked. I didn't try the others but opted for the BMP file; thinking the TIFF file would be too big.

So that seems to be the work around, when it is impossible to work with the blotchy image.

Now that works for still images; I don't know what I am going to do the next time I get that effect on a video clip; maybe save; and reload it as an avi file?
WIN10 Pro, Surface Book,
mikecox
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:01 pm

Again the question is if this blotchiness is only visible in Premiere Elements or if it also appears on the output video.

My guess is that the problem is unique to Premiere Elements -- or , more specifically, how you clips display in Premiere Elements. Which may be related to your graphics card or its driver.

If your output video looks fine despite your clips looking really ugly in Premiere Elements, you know it's a Premiere Elements problem or a problem with the way your graphics card works with Premiere Elements. In other words, the blotches aren't real. It's a bug in the way your graphics card communicates Premiere Elements' video data.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby mikecox » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:01 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:Again the question is if this blotchiness is only visible in Premiere Elements or if it also appears on the output video.

My guess is that the problem is unique to Premiere Elements -- or , more specifically, how you clips display in Premiere Elements. Which may be related to your graphics card or its driver.

If your output video looks fine despite your clips looking really ugly in Premiere Elements, you know it's a Premiere Elements problem or a problem with the way your graphics card works with Premiere Elements. In other words, the blotches aren't real. It's a bug in the way your graphics card communicates Premiere Elements' video data.

You may be right by why the inconsistency? Why does it happen so randomly; with no rhyme or reason?

That's a rhetorical question ;)

I'll just save images that do that in the future to a different format; which works for me.
WIN10 Pro, Surface Book,
mikecox
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Bob » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:37 pm

I don't know if this is what's happening in your situation, but Premiere Elements will do an adaptive lower resolution preview if your system can't handle a full resolution preview while playing. When you pause playback, Premiere Elements will build a full resolution frame and display that. So, you can get soft/fuzzy preview playback and sharp paused images. This is just an issue with preview. Your exported video is rendered at full resolution.
Bob

Postby mikecox » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:57 am

Bob wrote:I don't know if this is what's happening in your situation, but Premiere Elements will do an adaptive lower resolution preview if your system can't handle a full resolution preview while playing. When you pause playback, Premiere Elements will build a full resolution frame and display that. So, you can get soft/fuzzy preview playback and sharp paused images. This is just an issue with preview. Your exported video is rendered at full resolution.
I just ordered a 2GM memory chip for my computer; which will bring it to 8mb, maybe that wiil help.

I'm also switching to my ASUS ZENBOOK UX32VD; which has an i7 processor and 10GB of RAM. I already have PD 12 on it, I just need to install PrE on it, along with Ps and Lr.
WIN10 Pro, Surface Book,
mikecox
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to PRE Version 12