They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Export/save at original DV quality

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 12.

Export/save at original DV quality

Postby bobmetzler » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:02 pm

I'm capturing old analog S-VHS tapes via Canopus converter, no problems (Premiere Elements). Editing, titling, no problems. Making DVD with menus, no problems. But, after editing original footage, I'd like to save/export the edited projects at full original quality. That capture took 13 GB for one hour; DVD and highest quality Share output I can find is only about 4 GB/hour (70 minutes for a 4.7 GB file or DVD). Is this really fully as good (for archiving, possible future editing) as the original 13 GB/hour .avi files?
bobmetzler
New User
New User

Re: Export/save at original DV quality

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:12 pm

Welcome to Muvipix, Bob!

If you want to save your DV video in the same quality as you captured it, your best bet is to output it as DV -- a DV-AVI on a PC or a DV-MOV on a Mac. (Publish & Share/Computer/AVI or Publish & Share/Computer/MOV on a Mac.)

Outputting it as a DVD will not reduce the quality much -- as least with regards to how the video looks. But it does highly compress the video, which is a bit of a liability if you plan to edit the video again later.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby bobmetzler » Mon May 19, 2014 4:33 pm

Steve, I still haven't found a way to export a project as a .avi file. Your book & your reply to my post says to use Publish & Share/Computer/AVI. I don't find an AVI selection in PREL 12; maybe Adobe took it away? My PREL 12 has three choices under Publish & Share/Computer: Adobe Flash Video, MPEG, and AVCHD. Under MPEG, I've tried the Higher quality NTSC DVD Standard & it produces a .mpg file of pretty decent quality, but noticeably more artifacts than my original .avi. Under AVCHD I tried MP4-NTSC Standard, which produced a .mp4 file & I set the bitrate slider to the maximum 14 & the quality was terrible. So, is there really a way to get a .avi file at original resolution? I don't care if it is 13 GB/hour, space isn't really an issue.
bobmetzler
New User
New User

Postby bobmetzler » Mon May 19, 2014 4:48 pm

Steve, I apologize for not searching more completely for options under Publish & Share/Computer--I only saw three & didn't notice the scroll bar. So, I've found the AVI selection & am trying that right now. Sorry I jumped to an incorrect conclusion.
bobmetzler
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon May 19, 2014 5:00 pm

Glad we could help you find it, Bob!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 12