They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Will Norton force me to go online...

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

Will Norton force me to go online...

Postby George Tyndall » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:21 pm

... for my much-loved NIS Identity Safe feature, when I come up for renewal in only a few more days?

Here are the reasons I ask:

If you choose to download new features or new product versions, you will have the right to use them until the expiration of your current subscription, subject to acceptance of the Symantec License Agreement included with each product and available for review at http://www.symantec.com/en/aa/index.jsp. [b]Product features may be added, modified or removed during your subscription period.[Emphasis added.]

Identity Safe lets you create a cloud vault and save your Identity Safe data. You can create one cloud vault for each Norton account. You cannot create a new local vault. However, you can move your existing local vault data to cloud vault when you upgrade to a newer version of Norton Internet Security. When you move your Identity Safe data from local vault to cloud vault, the data in your local vault cannot be accessed. Cloud vault provides you the ease of using your Identity Safe data when you are on the move.

I have my NIS DAT file (my Identity Safe backups) stored on an external drive. Does the following mean I have a workaround for keeping my data off the cloud and on my local machine?

If you have Identity Safe data that is stored on any external drives from the older versions of Norton Internet Security, you can convert that portable profile to local vault or cloud vault. When you connect your external drive to your computer, the Settings window in Norton Identity Safe provides option to merge the Identity Safe data from your portable profile. You can merge the data from the portable profile to your local vault or cloud vault.

Does the following mean that, if I share any of my 3 protected machines in one account with another person, and the vault is online instead of local, that person will also have access to my vault?

You can access your Identity Safe cloud vault from any computer that is connected to Internet.

You can create only one cloud vault for a Norton account.

Last question: If Norton is going to force me to abandon NIS, is there another similar program that offers Local Identity Safe-like features?

Thank you.
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Will Norton force me to go online...

Postby George Tyndall » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:08 pm

It appears that I have found the answer:

If you have upgraded your Norton product from an older version, you can still access your local vault. However, we recommend that you sync your local vault to online vault.--NIS Suppot FAQs

It appears that I will not be forced to move my Identity Safe vault online.

:exc:
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Will Norton force me to go online...

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:02 pm

A happy ending!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Computer Issues