They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Newbie asking for some understanding

A place to introduce and tell a little about yourself.

Newbie asking for some understanding

Postby MJK1250 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:35 pm

Hello Everyone
I'm an absolute newbie to video editing and hope you all will forgive my likely very basic questions. By way of introduction, I live in a small town in SW Colorado that does not have any video resources other than the WalMart. I suspect that like many old-timers, the thought of trying to convert old VHS tapes taken over the years is quite daunting. I'm reasonably adequate on a computer so I thought I'd give it a try. I had 40 years worth of old family VHS tapes plus hundreds of photos of three generations of my family. The plan was/is to produce numerous slide shows and DVD's for my children and grandkids. Wasted $50 on a conversion program from Roxio that constantly crashed so I finally sent my 40 or so tapes to a site recommended in Steve's Guide to Adobe Premiere Elements 11) to have them converted to DVD's. I received the DVD's, bought Steve's book and the Adobe Premiere Elements 11 Classroom In A Book which I'm plowing through although I gotta tell you I keep referring to Steve's book for clarification. I already had Photoshop Elements 9 and can get around in it pretty okay and then purchased PE 11 which I've installed without any problems.

So, I found this Muvipix site and have spent hours going through previous posts and the problem is that this site seems to be for folks who are already pretty handy in video editing. There are a million terms to try to understand and all in all it's pretty overwhelming for a beginner. However, I'm committed to this project of mine and will continue to try to wade through and thus I ask for your understanding.

I was able to produce a rudimentary slide show in Windows Movie Maker with some basic transitions, pan and zooms, titles, and music, but am anxious to do a better job in PE11.

I haven't yet tried to produce any movies in PE11 as I thought it made more sense to get everything ready (photos, music, clips etc.) before moving anything into the actual program. And I'm already stuck on the re-sizing of photos, converting all music to WAV, converting all videos to AVI etc.

I know this is not the place to ask questions about the above so I'll save them for the proper forum but again ask all who happen to read my dumb questions to please take pity on me as I struggle to learn this new technology.

MJK
MJK1250

Re: Newbie asking for some understanding

Postby Bob » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:41 pm

Welcome to Muvipix, MJK!

Don't worry about asking basic questions. This site serves all levels from absolute beginner to expert and you will be treated with respect. We were all beginners once. So, ask away!
Bob

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:19 pm

Welcome MJK! :meet:
Muvipix is a great place for you to be. And if we should ever lack for knowledge we make up for it with friendliness! :)
It's too bad that we didn't find each other sooner. I think we could have helped you a lot with the conversion process and smoothed the road to where you are right now. You have some great resources in Steve's books.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby MJK1250 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:15 pm

Guys - thanks much for the warm welcome. I'm gonna try to post my first question re: down rezzing of photos - I'll post it on the PE11 forum and hope it's the right place.
MJK1250

Postby Peru » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:55 pm

Welcome to Muvipix. :-D

Don't forget to check out the tutorials here, too:
http://muvipix.com/products.php?subcat_id=44
Peru

Postby Ron » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:10 pm

:wel3:
Regards,
-Ron

Dell, Win10 Pro, Intel Core i7-6700 CPU @3.4GhHz, 8GB ram. 64-bit
Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby momoffduty » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:51 pm

Welcome MJK! Basic questions are okay to ask. :-D This site has all skill levels so no worries. Back in 2007 when I joined Muvipix I was in your shoes with zero editing experience. There were many times I would read a thread and then google search the words to see what was being discussed. I've learned a lot here by asking questions and by reading posts by others. If your questions are answered yet need further explanation please don't hesitate to ask. :-D

:wcm:
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby videovillageidiot » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:31 pm

Hi MJK! Welcome to Muvipix. As my user name implies, I am no expert in video editing...needless to say, I am so glad to have found this site. One of the great things here is that you can get answers to beginner questions, while being inspired by users with more experience. Just bookmark their advanced techniques for a time when you are ready...And you may be surprised...sometimes "advanced" stuff may actually be pretty easy!!
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:42 am

Welcome to Muvipix, where no one gets beat up for asking questions, that means any questions at all.
This is a place where we all remember what it was like when we started and had tons of "simple" questions :meet:
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:18 am

Just a "Hello" from me too! :meet:
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby BuddyB » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:02 am

Better late than never..Howdee and glad you came on board. These guys have put up with me a little longer than you've been. I trust by now you've acquired enough help to get you down the trail. I'm a Sony Movie Studio 13 owner, and love it. I feel I can do just about anything anyone else can with their programs, barring my ongoing level of knowledge. It do take time, unless you have a lot of it, and I don't. I had Vegas 10 when I first came on board, went to Sony and lo and behold it was there that Steve came to my rescue in the Vegas Forum. I've never been the same since. I hope it's that way for you.
"Wichitaito-Everything is Everything"
ASUS M4A88T-M mb-AthlonII X 3 455 1.5 Cache-8GB DDR3-1600-PC3-12800(2X4GB Dual Channel)-1TB SATA3 6gb/sec 7200rpm(64MB Cache) Win10 64Bit-Sony Movie Studio Suite 13-XaraX photo/Art/Web Adobe Cloud.
BuddyB
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Introductions