They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Photoshop Elements 11 and screen calibration

A discussion area specific to the Photoshop Pro versions.

Photoshop Elements 11 and screen calibration

Postby moonpie001 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:44 am

Hello Folks!

I am somewhat new to Adobe Photoshop Elements. After successfully editing and improving some of my pictures I tried to print them on my HP Office Jet 6600 using a quality HP photo paper semi gloss. I had set the printer to recognize this kind of paper. The results were less than desirable. The picture appeared lighter than what I was looking at on my screen when I was doing the editing. I had saved as a seperate file prior, and printed that file, so that's not an issue, I think my problem is screen calibration. My computer is a new HP (specs located in my signature) my monitor is my older Dell flat screen. I did not install the monitor software into the new computer (do you think that would help?). I was considering purchasing a spyder monitor calibration product. Do you think this is the correct route to go or do you have any other suggestion?

I appreciate all your input in advance!

Moonpie001
moonpie001
HP h8-1360t
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1
Intel Core i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz
8GB
HD 911.36 GB (805.77 GB free)
2T Seagate
Graphics AMD Radeon HD 7570
Systems Board 1680 x 1050
Monitor Dell 2208WFP Monitor 22-Inch
moonpie001
New User
New User

Re: Photoshop Elements 11 and screen calibration

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:59 am

Hi, Moonpie. Welcome to Muvipix!

It could also be the printer. Or the paper. Or the color profile you're using. There are so many possible variables.

So first go to your monitor's settings (the controls right on your monitor) and make sure they aren't set so that it's giving you an unrealistic view of your computer's color, etc. For basic set-up, most flat-screen monitors include settings for reading red, green and blue and setting your color temperature. Make sure none of them are set to exaggerate any colors, brightness or contrast.

There are devices for calibrating your monitor -- and some can be quite costly. Here's the Spyder you suggested, a very popular one.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control ... &A=details

But, unless you're a professional designer, that may be more of an investment than you want or need.

Windows 7 also has some built-in calibration tools. Very easy to use. Just walk through the steps on each screen.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... ur-display

Photoshop Elements can also use Color Profiles (which you apply by selecting the option under the Image menu). Color Profiles are designed to make your computer, printer and monitor interpret your photo's color the same way. (sRGB is an example.)

Once you've assigned a Color Profile to your photos, go to your Windows Control Panel and type Color Management in the search box. In the Color Management screen, select each device and make sure that they're all associated with the same (usually sRGB) profile.

But, all in, maybe it's just a matter of your printing out a photo and then adjusting your monitor so that the photo looks the same on your computer as it does on your printout. Then at least you'll know that what you see is what you'll get.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby moonpie001 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:30 pm

HP has a desk top support assistant that is a very nice feature, under My Computer tab is a set of diagnostic tools one of which is called HP graphic video check. I ran this (took about 4 minuets, it flashed colors like it was calibrating everything, made some adjustments. I am hoping that by purchasing both a HP computer and a HP printer that the two would work better together. So I will do some testing with this as well as following Steve's advise above. Thank you Steve, good thoughts for sure and at least I have some options.

Thanks!

Moonpie001
moonpie001
HP h8-1360t
8GB
2T Seagate
moonpie001
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:41 pm

Glad I could help, Moonpie.

And I do encourage you to try out that Windows 7 monitor calibration tool. It's a simple tool for adjusting your monitor's settings.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Peru » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:39 pm

:meet:

moonpie001 wrote: I am hoping that by purchasing both a HP computer and a HP printer that the two would work better together.

That is not necessarily true. My experience is that it makes no difference.
While most of my machines are not HP, all of my printers are because of the economy of refilling cartridges. I have read, however, that the newer HP printers will give an error if you try to use a refilled cartridge.
Peru

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:28 am

Peru wrote:I have read, however, that the newer HP printers will give an error if you try to use a refilled cartridge.

Does a chip resetter get around this problem?

I use a CISS for one of my Canon printers and refillables for other Canon printers. Sometimes (but not at all often) the cartridge chips need resetting.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Peru » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:27 am

John 'twosheds' McDonald wrote:Does a chip resetter get around this problem?

I don't know. I've been lucky so far and haven't had the need to try using one.
Peru

Postby Bob » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:49 pm

OK, let me get this right. You saved the edited photo and then printed the saved photo. I'm assuming that means you didn't use Photoshop Elements to print -- is that correct? What did you use instead?

One thing you should probably do is take that saved photo file to a local store where you can have it printed using their commercial printer. I'd recommend printing both the original unedited photo and the edited one. That way you will know if you are introducing a problem during editing. Now compare that commercial print to a print of the same photo made using your printer. How do they compare to each other? Also, how does the store printed photo compare to the image on the monitor? Answering those two questions will give you a better idea as to whether the problem is with your monitor calibration, your printer calibration, or both.

The Windows 7 Calibration tool performs a visual calibration. A visual calibration is not as accurate as one performed by a hardware calibration device. If accuracy is important to you, a hardware calibration device such as the Spyder or Colormunki devices is well worth the investment. These generally come in both professional models which are more expensive but offer more features and control and in consumer models that are less expensive but are more basic and have fewer features. Do some comparisons.

If you use a hardware calibration device, I would not recommend assigning sRGB as the profile for all the devices as Steve suggested. Doing so not only overrides the monitor profile you create with the device, but it also effectively bypasses any color management settings you may be using.
Bob

Postby moonpie001 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:42 pm

Folks, thank you all for your contribution to this question. I wound up taking Steve's advise and used Windows to recalibrate my monitor. I tested two different and edited pictures from my Photoshop Organizer and printed them out. I could not detect any visual differences between my printed picture and my monitor. While I am sure there still exist differences, for paying no money at this time for a Spyder and my very beginning level and experience with Photo Shop Elements, I am very pleased!

Thank you all for your suggestions and taking the time to impart your wisdom to try to assist me.

I appreciate all of you!

Moonpie001
moonpie001
HP h8-1360t
8GB
2T Seagate
moonpie001
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:13 am

Great news, Moonpie! Isn't it nice when a fix doesn't cost anything?

Happy moviemaking!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Photoshop