They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Getting blue circle and PRE10 & PSE10 crashing

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 10.

Getting blue circle and PRE10 & PSE10 crashing

Postby kenskopp » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:30 pm

Hello Community,

I have a problem that just started about two weeks ago. Both programs after loading are very sluggish in executing commands. And It crashes with windows saying it can't find solution. I have been using both programs for 7 months. I have an HP Pavilion desktop. 1tb hard drive in computer and a 1tb and 3tb external hard drives. ATI RADEON HD4200 graphics card, 12 GB RAM with slot for additional 4 Gb, AMD Phenom II X4 840T processor. The only thing with the programs that I am doing differently now is I have learned how to layer photos. I have 13,000+ photos and videos in 5 separate catalogs. Adobe is no help I find unless I buy the current version. I have thought of uninstalling and reinstalling the programs. Also when I try to render segments with a red line under the CTI by hitting enter the only thing that happens is my video starts playing. Appreciate any help and guidance with these issues. Thank you Ken Skopp

By the way Steve your books have been a great help and I am now creating and burning DVDs in PRE10.
Intel Core i7-4770 (3.4GHz, 8MB Shared Cache), Windows 10, One 1TB internal SSD drive (C) and 1 3TB internal drive (E), 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT720, 16GB DDR3-1600MHz, 16GB mSATA SSD Cache, Two External Hard Drives: 3TB (K) and 1TB (H).
kenskopp
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Getting blue circle and PRE10 & PSE10 crashing

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:37 am

Thanks for the kind words about the books, Ken.

Can you give us a few more details about your problems? Are you saying both programs are just crashing regularly? It doesn't make any difference what type of file you're editing or how large it is? Both programs are just crashing?

If that's the case, this is most likely an indication of instability in your operating system. Have you manually gone to Windows Update and ensured you have the hidden and non-critical updates as well as the ones that install automatically? Have you gone to the AMD site and ensured you have the latest driver for your graphics card?

Have you recently run Windows Disk Cleanup and Defragmenter? It might not hurt to run CCleaner (a free download) too.

What antivirus program are you using? Have you ensured you have nothing on your computer with "Norton" in its name?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby kenskopp » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:56 am

Hi Steve,
Both programs are sluggish in executing commands. I have run CC Cleaner, I ran Malware Antivirus, I updated AMD Radeon HD6670 1 GB card, have windows automatically update and I manually checked updates. I have Norton 360 antivirus program and Norton Utilities. I have checked everything and all say my computer is ok. Only thing I have not tried is manually reinstalling PRE10 and PSE10. What programs should I be using instead of Norton Utilities and Antivirus?
Intel Core i7-4770 (3.4GHz, 8MB Shared Cache), Windows 10, One 1TB internal SSD drive (C) and 1 3TB internal drive (E), 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT720, 16GB DDR3-1600MHz, 16GB mSATA SSD Cache, Two External Hard Drives: 3TB (K) and 1TB (H).
kenskopp
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:37 am

I would very much recommend you remove your Norton products, and the sooner the better. They've improved a bit in the last couple of years, but they're still resource hogs.

I very much recommend Microsoft Security Essentials. It's terrific antivirus software, it updates automatically, it's very unintrusive -- and, best of all, it's free. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... s-download

Two more maintenance things: Go to your web browser(s), delete their history and clear their caches. Believe it or not, full caches can bog down your whole machine.

Then install and run Spybot Search & Destroy. http://www.safer-networking.org/dl/

Because you seem to be saying that your system seems to be bogging down more lately, I'm assuming that something is glutting it up. This basic maintenance (which I do every week) should get it to better-than-new performance.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:35 pm

I rather doubt that Norton 360 is the cause of your problems, especially if you are running the current version. Steve is correct that at one point in time Norton was bloated, top heavy, and slow. But, times change and so does Norton. Today's Norton Antivirus is lean and efficient, not at all like its bloated great grandfather. It also has one of the best firewalls in the business -- MS Security Essentials relies on the much weaker Windows firewall. In my opinion, you don't need to switch.

You didn't say which operating system you are using. From the amount of RAM you specified, I'm assuming that it's Windows 7 64-bit. Is that correct?

How much free space do you have on your 1TB internal disk drive? Are the photos and videos you are working with located on the external drives?

Were the two programs working well when you first installed them? When did the sluggishness begin? When did the crashing begin? I'm not sure what you mean by "Blue circle".
Bob

Postby kenskopp » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:11 pm

Thank you Steve,

I did all you suggested. The problem has been resolved. You are just awesome. As they said in "Wayne's World" - I am not worthy. I installed MS Security Essentials and Spybot and ran both. Spybot found six problems. I am using Windows 7 64 bit. All photos and videos are on internal hard drive. I do have additional question. I have a project in PRE10 when I try to render work area all that happens is video runs and red lines over clips do not disappear. Thank you.
kenskopp
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby kenskopp » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:06 am

Steve you and Bob might want to review your positions and let me know what is the best recommendation regarding Norton Security. I still have Norton Utilities loaded.

Thank you again for returning PRE10 & PSE 10 to working order.
kenskopp
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:17 am

I definitely defer to Bob on this one, Ken. Traditionally, it's been recommended that you remove any Norton "crapware" included with a new computer. But, as Bob says, they've really tuned up the software in the last couple of years. So, if it's running fine for you, just keep using it.

Meantime, glad to hear the tune-up helped your performance. As I said, running Spybot, clearing temp files and clearing my browser cache is a part of my weekly maintenance. (As well as backing up my system to an external drive -- which I highly recommend!)
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby kenskopp » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:54 am

Thanks again Steve, if you have not seen Wayne's World, give yourself a laugh.
kenskopp
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Bob » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:36 pm

Norton had a very bad reputation for a long time. And, it was well deserved. For many years, I wouldn't allow it on my computers or recommend it to others either. Around 2009 or so, Symantec made a turnaround and began improving Norton Internet Security significantly. Since then, the last couple of years especially, there has been a huge change in the product's resource consumption, performance, and reliability. It now ranks among the best in the market.

Norton 360 isn't the same product as Norton Internet Security, but the latest versions of 360 use the same antivirus engine with a different user interface. If you are current, you should be fine.
Bob

Return to PRE Version 10