They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Video Record Luminscent colors

MiniDV, DVD, Hard Drive, 8 mm, High Def, brands, import / capture techniques, settings ... talk about camcorders in here.

Video Record Luminscent colors

Postby tinal » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:30 pm

Hello Everyone
Would you know the best way to shoot video of glow-in-the-dark footage? Naturally, using the auto setting on my Panasonic HDC-SD90 Camcorder would not give true-to-life illumination and in fact, shows more light then I intended. The setting was a school gym where I was recording a dance team who were wearing luminscent fingertip gloves. They were totally in the dark and all the eye could see were the illuminated gloves but the camera lit the dancers and surrounding up a bit. Also, the glow color was green but the camera picked up more white. I was at the top of the bleachers shooting this btw not directly in front of the performance.

Are there particaular manual settings that would give a more true depiction of light/dark, and what would those be?

thanks much for you input and direction.

~amateur recording enthusiast :)
tinal
New User
New User

Re: Video Record Luminscent colors

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:20 pm

I don't think you're going to be able to pick it up well on any camcorder, Tinal. My camcorder has a low light setting, but this slows the shutter speed and it has an unnatural look. That may be the closest you can get though.

But welcome to Muvipix regardless! Glad to have you aboard.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby tinal » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:44 pm

Oh, that's disappointing, but thanks for the quick reply Steve. Do I have an alternative to correct this video with APE 10? It seems I can darken the subjects and surrounding by reducing the brightness, but is there a better APE correction tool that would achieve what I'm after?
tinal
New User
New User

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:47 pm

With the right equipment you can do anything ;)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juKcjE0tQxE[/youtube]
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:58 pm

...shows more light then I intended. ...the camera lit the dancers and surrounding up a bit. Also, the glow color was green but the camera picked up more white.

An auto exposure for these shooting conditions will result in too high an exposure value which is why your dancers and surroundings were showing up more. The white in the fingertips was probably overexposure resulting in clipped greens. Given that your camera was able to lighten up the scene that way, you should be able to get a better result by using manual settings to lower the exposure. That will darken the background and lessen the problem of the green clipping. I can't give you a starting setting. You will need to experiment to find the best values. If you know the shutter speed and iris setting from the last try, you can start from there and either increase the shutter speed or make the iris smaller. If your camera has a gain control, you can also try that.
Bob

Postby _Paz_ » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:55 am

tinal,

I understand that you're asking how to adjust your camera settings and I agree, the better your original video, the better your final project.

However, assuming you don't get the opportunity to film such an event every day, if you're using Premiere Elements 11, it may be possible to make software adjustments to make what you have more like what you wanted it to be.

Pre El 11, opening settings with "Lighting Adjustments" selected:

Changes I made to make this image as dark as possible:

The video opens with the lighting as shot. The second portion is a duplicate of the opening video, but with a transition between original and duplicate clips, then the 2nd half shows the results of the Lighting Adjustments indicated above.

There are also software settings for adjusting color. It is possible you may be able to get the green color you want.

Oh, and welcome to Muvipix. I'm relatively new here and I am also trying to learn how to use my camcorder's adjustments to best advantage as well as how to use the software. You'll find this to be a friendly, helpful place! Good luck with your endeavors. :)

Paz

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjyV1I5PGVI[/youtube]
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby tinal » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:43 pm

Thank You Bob and Paz for your helpful tips. Very much appreciated!
tinal
New User
New User

Return to Camcorders